Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:13 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [2]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 109 [1]
Given Kudos: 57
Send PM
Re: Am I choking? [#permalink]
Kudos
AdnanS wrote:
Thanks for the reply Ninja.

Your right - Im making roughly 2-4 bonehead errors per test. Also have noticed getting on average 4 wrong out of first 10 questions. DS is substantially weaker than PS.

Do you know what kind of plan I can put in place to counter these weaknesses?

Thanks

for DS.... GMAT club has a very good resource.... check this out...
ds-question-directory-by-topic-difficulty-128728.html
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63659 [3]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
The bad news is that there really isn't a glamorous solution, other than tons of focused practice. Try to develop a better rhythm so that you avoid unforced errors. I usually tell my students to read every question twice before they start writing anything down, just to help ensure that they aren't missing a word or a modifier (i.e. "x is a two-digit integer") that will lead to a dumb mistake. Once they've found an answer, I encourage them to recheck any basic arithmetic or algebra, and then re-read the question again... just to make sure that they didn't miss something silly. Before you click "next", always ask yourself, "how is the GMAT trying to screw me?" Get into the habit of asking this question every single time, and your accuracy should eventually improve.

It sounds like all of this takes a ton of time, but it doesn't. Re-reading the question only takes a few extra seconds, and it's time well-spent, considering the damage that a careless error can cause on the GMAT. Ideally, whenever you see an easy question, you should actually slow down a little bit, and watch carefully for traps. And most of us usually have the opposite instinct ("this looks easy, so I'll save some time by doing it quickly!").

More importantly, you really need to hold your feet to the fire on your homework sets. If you do a set of, say, 37 OG problems, look through it carefully for the silly errors. Again, most of us have the opposite instinct: we're inclined to focus on the toughest questions, and we ignore the missed questions that we understood. Ask yourself what you misread or miscalculated, and try to figure out where, exactly, you need to slow down... or what sorts of traps you're falling into. The GMAT punishes you much more severely for missing easy questions than for missing hard ones, so you should be more worried about the careless errors than the questions that were genuinely hard for you.

In all honesty, you could use almost any quant problem set to work on these skills. If you haven't finished everything in the OG and the Quant guide, then use those; otherwise, any of the quant sets available through GMAT Club should help you to become more accurate.

Good luck with everything, and let us know how things go on your next attempt!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37305 posts