Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Hey (Prospective) Boothies,

Anyone interested in sharing a hotel for Admit Weekend? I'm flying in from DC on Thursday, Feb 7 and leaving on Sunday, Feb 10. I'm planning on staying right next to Gleacher Center. Any ideas on which hotels most people will be staying at?

24/male/non-smoker here. PM me if you're interested / have any questions.
VP
VP
Send PM
current236 wrote:

Anyone interested in sharing a hotel for Admit Weekend? I'm flying in from DC on Thursday, Feb 7 and leaving on Sunday, Feb 10. I'm planning on staying right next to Gleacher Center. Any ideas on which hotels most people will be staying at?

Check with Booth to see if they've arranged any discounted rates at hotels. Last year they negotiated a decent rate with the Chicago Hilton for admit weekend 2. Just a heads up in case you're looking to further cut costs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Send PM
Just noticed that Chicago Booth allows adding a third recommender... Have any of you added the third recommender? If my third recommendation is strong, is it advisable practice?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just that it is intended for part-time applicants
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:
current236 wrote:

Check with Booth to see if they've arranged any discounted rates at hotels. Last year they negotiated a decent rate with the Chicago Hilton for admit weekend 2. Just a heads up in case you're looking to further cut costs.

I'm also looking for a roommate, but for admit wknd 1. Also flying in Thursday and leaving Sunday, looking to stay close to Gleacher Center and/or the Doubletree that everybody is thinking of according to the fb group. 24/female/nonsmoker.
Thanks and looking forward to meeting you all!

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
Hey y'all..I won't be joining you for admit weekend, but you could also try pricelining a hotel, although you are only guaranteed one bed so if you're planning on a having a roommate don't try it. I have pricelined many hotels in Chicago, and got a $90/night room at the Palmer House (4 star) when the posted rate was $269/night. Booth's rate at the Chicago Hilton was $299 for that weekend. You can choose your star level and your location. It's just something to consider. Also, this website https://www.biddingtraveler.com/ is awesome because it teaches you how to bid multiple times in the same day by selecting hotel star levels/areas that don't actually have hotels, and it doesn't break any Priceline rules. You can have the website do it for you or you can do it manually.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.4
Send PM
NewMBAApplicant wrote:
Good luck to everyone wailtisted! To those who was dinged: reapply. I'm a living example of successful reapplication. Booth does like both waitlisters and reapplicants. Do visit the school.

Could you talk a little bit more about what you did in your new application? Since getting dinged last year I've talked to several students, visiting the schools, got new recs, and writing all new essays. Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [1]
Given Kudos: 55
GPA: 3.5
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
I know this has been mentioned a few times but I got a PM regarding the PowerPoint vs the optional essay on the application and wanted to address it here.

For me, I initially struggled with anything good for the PowerPoint. I was fixated on the idea of being able to transfer everything I would say in an essay onto 4 slides, "can I fit all these themes on there, all these ideas, AND these Booth clubs, classes, professors???" (Ok maybe that worked for some people. More power to ya!)

Eventually, I was able to come up with a cool (definition of cool in that it was very bschool application appropriate, very me) idea for the Booth essay (think late night epiphany, woke up, started brainstorming, and making it happen kinda idea). I was very confident that my ppt was creative, different and showed who I was in a way that would catch the attention of adcom members' eyes that have been staring at thousands of powerpoints. If you're doing a ppt just because all the forums tell you to not fall for the optional essay and it's not going to be your best work, don't do it. If you think you'll do a better job expressing yourself with the essay, then by all means do the essay. Maybe all the forums have scared all the applicants into making the ppt and you'll actually stand out with an essay. =]

Whatever you do, just make sure it really reflects who you are and is your best work.

Also, did everybody else already get their welcome packages? I got an invite for admit weekend by mail but no big envelope =[

Update 2/27/13: No I will not post/send you my ppt. Not only is it irrelevant for your application/profile/background, it's only going to set a template in your head for what you think it should look like, and it won't be a blank canvas to paint the masterpiece that is your story.

Originally posted by lfa on 27 Dec 2012, 00:57.
Last edited by lfa on 27 Feb 2013, 12:13, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Schools: Booth '15 (A)
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
lfa wrote:
I know this has been mentioned a few times but I got a PM regarding the PowerPoint vs the optional essay on the application and wanted to address it here.

For me, I initially struggled with anything good for the PowerPoint. I was fixated on the idea of being able to transfer everything I would say in an essay onto 4 slides, "can I fit all these themes on there, all these ideas, AND these Booth clubs, classes, professors???" (Ok maybe that worked for some people. More power to ya!)

Eventually, I was able to come up with a cool (definition of cool in that it was very bschool application appropriate, very me) idea for the Booth essay (think late night epiphany, woke up, started brainstorming, and making it happen kinda idea). I was very confident that my ppt was creative, different and showed who I was in a way that would catch the attention of adcom members' eyes that have been staring at thousands of powerpoints. If you're doing a ppt just because all the forums tell you to not fall for the optional essay and it's not going to be your best work, don't do it. If you think you'll do a better job expressing yourself with the essay, then by all means do the essay. Maybe all the forums have scared all the applicants into making the ppt and you'll actually stand out with an essay. =]

Whatever you do, just make sure it really reflects who you are and is your best work.

Also, did everybody else already get their welcome packages? I got an invite for admit weekend by mail but no big envelope =[

To add to this, I would really look at the PPT as an opportunity to differentiate and display your creativity. You have four blank slides to convince the adcom you are right for Booth. I looked at this and really wanted to do something beyond posting random pictures and writing up blurbs about those pictures. I think my end product was what got me accepted. And I otherwise would not have had the opportunity if they didn't have the whole PPT question.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Kudos
I also have good feelings about the PPT. For those of you who are struggling with your R2 PPTs, I would suggest googling "Example Booth Powerpoint." I did that, and I think the example PPT was actually right here on GMAT Club. Anyhow, within minutes of viewing an example PPT, I had one of those lightbulb/aha! moments and went straight to work on my PPT presentation. Of course, I didn't copy or mimic the example in any way/shape/form, but it did give me just enough inspiration for my own, unique idea. It was the most fun I had while preparing grad school applications. There was even a handwritten note on my addmission letter about my PPT..So just a suggestion for those going forward to get the juices flowing..

EDIT: here is the direct link to the example PPT
booth-powerpoint-essay-example-113159.html

Originally posted by top10mbacandidate on 27 Dec 2012, 15:43.
Last edited by top10mbacandidate on 28 Dec 2012, 07:22, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Finance, Marketing
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Has anyone who created a PPT included any animations? I'm trying to determine if animation would fall under "motion images" or if that refers to something like embedded images and video clips.
VP
VP
Send PM
I was wrong. Things have changed this year (things keep changing year to year and it's hard to keep track of). The document will be viewed electronically. However, they cannot support imbedded videos, music, or motion images. I'd stay on the safe side and leave out anything that might be moving.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
lfa wrote:

No big envelope yet for me either
Intern
Intern
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Can someone explain why Booth asks for the names of other programs one applied to in the online acceptance letter? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
GMJK wrote:
Can someone explain why Booth asks for the names of other programs one applied to in the online acceptance letter? Thanks.

I didn't see that on mine.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
mbaover30 wrote:
GMJK wrote:

I didn't see that on mine.

I didn't see it on mine either. I only have some basic info and two options (accept offer or reject offer).
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts