Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:00 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 640 Q39 V39
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Re: MBA - Return on Investment [#permalink]
Agree with others that it maybe worth it to apply round 2, but ONLY if you think you can put together a quality application in a short amount of time. Also, keep in mind schools like Columbia and NYU have rolling admissions, so you should get those apps in as soon as you can if you decide to apply. Good luck!
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Expert Reply
Well, if you are gonna go to Babson anyhow, you might as well apply to a few schools this year. Cause then at least you'd have a choice between Babson and X rather than going to Babson and it being your only choice. and who knows what X might be? what if it's NYU with half tuition? How does that match up? Hard to say until you try...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [1]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3
WE:Marketing (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Thanks for the kind words and advice everyone. I think that I'll pick 1-2 schools from my list below and put together an application.

@lb2015 - I think your response to my question answered your own :) Apply to Babson/BU/BC in R2 and see if you can get a scholarship, then you can decide!

Regarding the BusinessWeek comments, yes, I have seen them. However, they all discuss the sub-par finance and consulting recruitment. I applied to Babson, because the school has:
- A tremendous amount of support for aspiring entrepreneurs
- Solid recruiting relationships with major corporations and consumer goods companies in the Northeast
- Great regional reputation
- More generous financial aid packages than peer schools (read: BU and BC)
- A one-year program

If you're looking to pursue a non-consulting, non-banking career in the Northeast and hoping to receive a generous scholarship, then I would definitely encourage you to apply to Babson!

Thanks again,
Nick

lb2015 wrote:
Congrats on the scholarship!!

I am in the exact opposite position as you--admitted to a top 15 program (with no funds), but trying to figure out whether to apply to BU/Babson/BC in order to potentially get a large scholarship. I really like Darden, but it might be nice to stay in Boston and it'd be great to have less debt at the end of this ordeal.

A full-ride is nothing to scoff at, but you certainly may have more opportunities at a higher ranked program that would justify a higher cost (or who knows, maybe you'll get a comparable scholarship at a top 15--much easier decision). Ultimately, I agree with the previous poster--go ahead and apply, see what happens, and then you can make a final decision if the situation presents itself.

If you do get in to a top 15 and are still on the fence, I would take a critical look at the recruiting at Babson before making your decision. There are several very negative comments about their career advising on the most recent Businessweek report (worse than anything said about comparable BC/BU). I wonder if some of Babson's placements at good firms are a result of sponsored students as opposed to solid, on-campus recruiting. That said, it's obviously an amazing program for entrepreneurship, and if you stay in the area I'm sure you'll have some solid opportunities. The key difference is that you might have to put in more leg-work to find the same caliber of jobs that you might find during on-campus recruiting at a Tuck, Stern, or Columbia.

Plus, as you mention, your network and the caliber of the student body overall might be stronger at a top 15 (another point mentioned in Businessweek--definitely worth a read if you haven't seen it yet).
GMAT Club Bot