Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 02:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 02:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Accounting
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 40
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 3.81
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
sesamemochi wrote:
Has anyone who created a PPT included any animations? I'm trying to determine if animation would fall under "motion images" or if that refers to something like embedded images and video clips.

It might be best to pdf your slides instead of submitting a ppt. Opening a ppt on a different computer, let alone different operating system, may cause unintended changes to your color schemes, images, charts, etc. I would consider animations to be a "motion image," but I'm more risk averse than most :wink:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Anyone know which member from the adcom conducted the Shanghai info session in August?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
Bookmarks
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
In Booth application, under academic record there's a section stating
Quote:
If you have received a failing grade, been placed on academic probation, been part of an academic hearing or been dismissed from any school, please explain

I don't have any failing grades in my official grade report (it is impossible to get your degree with a failing grade), though I have failed in one course, but took it again and passed successfully.
Does it mean that I have to mention that? it is a rather irrelevant fact, in my view...

I'm interested to see what people think of this as well...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
beehagit wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Quote:
If you have received a failing grade, been placed on academic probation, been part of an academic hearing or been dismissed from any school, please explain

I don't have any failing grades in my official grade report (it is impossible to get your degree with a failing grade), though I have failed in one course, but took it again and passed successfully.
Does it mean that I have to mention that? it is a rather irrelevant fact, in my view...

yes -- is it acceptable to post an essay here or are they looking for a blurb/short explanation?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
MBKULOV wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Quote:

yes -- is it acceptable to post an essay here or are they looking for a blurb/short explanation?

I still don't know what the answer to my question is, but definitely not an essay!
If what they mean is "have you ever flanked a course? why?", the answer should be short and sweet. No one is really interested in reading 250 words on failed course when all the aplication is 500+200+200 words..
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [1]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Kudos
MBKULOV wrote:
beehagit wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:

I had the dubious honor of failing a class the last semester of my senior year of undergrad. On this section of the application I wrote a short blurb about the failed class and what happened. Maybe 40-50 words. I also included the optional essay to explain my overall low GPA. Hope this helps.

I don't know about the case where you failed a class but it doesn't appear on your transcript. If they only ask to explain what's on the transcript then I would follow those directions to a T. I guess I don't think it matters if the grade was replaced. Actually I had an incomplete turn to an F. I retook the course and had the new grade replace the F. I don't think I ever mentioned it on my applications because it was irrelevant. That might be your answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Top10MBACandidate wrote:

Actually, I DID get asked that question on the FT acceptance letter. I think perhaps the others just haven't clicked far enough along in the acceptance process? I'm not sure. But, I still can't answer your question. I have no idea why they ask.

I'm sure they just want to keep tabs of what schools they may have lost students to.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Quote:

I would just follow the directions to avoid integrity perception issues. Also talk about the situation in your optional and how you turned it around. Also highlight any other academic achievements (awards/honor soc) to offset the blemish and show that overall you were a serious student. I didn't fail any classes but I did receive two "D"'s that I retook. I made B's on the retakes and still finished in my top 8% and made the honor society...create a similar narrative for your own situation and that should help.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
APPalachiantrail wrote:
sesamemochi wrote:
Has anyone who created a PPT included any animations? I'm trying to determine if animation would fall under "motion images" or if that refers to something like embedded images and video clips.

It might be best to pdf your slides instead of submitting a ppt. Opening a ppt on a different computer, let alone different operating system, may cause unintended changes to your color schemes, images, charts, etc. I would consider animations to be a "motion image," but I'm more risk averse than most :wink:

I'm with you. I converted my PPT to a PDF. Why not make it easy for them? I didn't want any negative emotions from a difficult file to be anchored into their mind about my app.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
mbaover30 wrote:
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
Quote:

I would just follow the directions to avoid integrity perception issues. Also talk about the situation in your optional and how you turned it around. Also highlight any other academic achievements (awards/honor soc) to offset the blemish and show that overall you were a serious student. I didn't fail any classes but I did receive two "D"'s that I retook. I made B's on the retakes and still finished in my top 8% and made the honor society...create a similar narrative for your own situation and that should help.

I disagree with you :-D
Writing a whole essay about this says between the lines "I failed badly, please don't think I'm a loser, here are some great things I did", while the correct approach should be something like "I failed a course because of X, the next semester I did Y to change this and moved on".

Bedises, I really don't understand what they aim for - It is even possible to graduate with an "F" in something?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
FuzzyBuzzard wrote:
mbaover30 wrote:

I disagree with you :-D
Writing a whole essay about this says between the lines "I failed badly, please don't think I'm a loser, here are some great things I did", while the correct approach should be something like "I failed a course because of X, the next semester I did Y to change this and moved on".

Bedises, I really don't understand what they aim for - It is even possible to graduate with an "F" in something?

I feel like that is exactly what MBAOver30 did.. He got a poor grade "X", retook the class - "Y", and moved on to finish top 8%.

I feel you both have good advice (which is not as far apart as you may think). How many words a candidate allocates to a situation like this is really dependent on the candidate and the rest of his/her overall profile. If a candidate wants to turn the situation into a "how I overame a challenge essay" --go for it. If it really wasn't a big deal for you, don't write an essay on it.

Now..I don't know a lot about other schools (especially international schools), but at my school if you failed, the F stays on your transcript no matter what. It is a permanent record. Even if you ratake the course and receive an A, the course would show up on your transcript twice. For example:
Fall 2000
Course X - F
Spring 2001
Course X - A

If it shows up on your transcript, absolutely write a little blurb about it in the additional info box. From the sounds of it, your F doesn't appear on your transcript. If it doesn't show up on your transcript, use your judgement. I would ask the admissions office if you are still perplexed about what to do.

Originally posted by top10mbacandidate on 31 Dec 2012, 13:06.
Last edited by top10mbacandidate on 31 Dec 2012, 13:23, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Finance, General Management
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V44
WE:Accounting (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
^^^yes; it still stays on the transcript; if i recall correctly, some schools report it as a retake with a letter code instead of displaying the failing grade. i'm not sure what shows up on mine; i would feel more comfortable explaining it though. also, is there no optional essay this year?

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/programs/fu ... -questions

i don't see it listed?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Question on the reapplicant essay. Booth's essay is different in that it does not ask explicitly how you've improved your candidacy since last time, just how has your thinking about future goals/mba/booth changed. However, most analysis i've read said that you do need to go beyond that and talk about ways in which you've improved. Is this an accurate assessment?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Hi Guys,
I have a lowly GMAT of 690(Q 49,VA-35).
Decent Acads,
X-82%
XII-91%
College-B.Tech (IT)-82%-First class with distinction.
3 yrs workex in IT industry.(Active technical lead leading a team of 7 ppl in the absence of my lead for the past 3 months)
Good EC's-Martial Arts, Carnatic singer,scuba diver,founded an environmental club in 2010 which has grown to 230 ppl by dec 2012.goal keeper of a nearby football club.

Do I have any chance at Booth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Send PM
MBKULOV wrote:
^^^yes; it still stays on the transcript; if i recall correctly, some schools report it as a retake with a letter code instead of displaying the failing grade. i'm not sure what shows up on mine; i would feel more comfortable explaining it though. also, is there no optional essay this year?

https://www.chicagobooth.edu/programs/fu ... -questions

i don't see it listed?

There is space for an optional essay inside the online application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
karthikrocks777 wrote:

Only one way to find out...
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
karthikrocks777 wrote:
Hi Guys,
I have a lowly GMAT of 690(Q 49,VA-35).
Decent Acads,
X-82%
XII-91%
College-B.Tech (IT)-82%-First class with distinction.
3 yrs workex in IT industry.(Active technical lead leading a team of 7 ppl in the absence of my lead for the past 3 months)
Good EC's-Martial Arts, Carnatic singer,scuba diver,founded an environmental club in 2010 which has grown to 230 ppl by dec 2012.goal keeper of a nearby football club.

Karthik,

Nobody but the Booth AdCom can predict whether one gets in or not. Give it your best possible shot, and let the chips fall where they may.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  31   32   33   34   35   36   37  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts