Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 06:27 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 06:27

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [2]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.1
WE:Management Consulting (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Stanford Sloan Fellows admits - Class of 2014 [#permalink]
Hi Erik,

I'm from Belo Horizonte, Minas Gerais.

I'll join the Facebook and Linkedin Groups... :-)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V45
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Hi guys,

I got accepted too. I received a call from Melinda last dec-21.

I am from Brazil as well, but from Sao Paulo.

- Douglas
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Douglas-

Congrats!

See you in April.

-Erik

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 3
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
Do Stanford / MIT publish the admissions statistics, acceptance rate for the SF (sloan fellows) program over the years? I can't find this information on their websites. Appreciate anyone sharing this information, thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
firsttimer2 wrote:
Do Stanford / MIT publish the admissions statistics, acceptance rate for the SF (sloan fellows) program over the years? I can't find this information on their websites. Appreciate anyone sharing this information, thanks.

Hi Firsttimer-

I have not been able to find admission stats for Sloan Fellows - and I did a lot of searching prior to applying... I don't even know how many people apply. The current cohort (class of 2013) is 81 enrolled students.

The only useful stat I saw was international students make up ~60% of the incoming class.

Hopefully someone else will find something!
Manager
Manager
WE 1: semiconductors
Send PM
thanks newcardinal, congrats on the acceptance.

Yes, they have profiles of students on the web but no admissions stats unlike their mba program. Ive been trying to find info regarding SF placements and how it compares to regular ft mba program in terms of integration with the bschool community; doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there. Only three admits noted on this forum this year. Is the admissions committee for SF program same as mba program (means DB at stanford and rod garcia at mit)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
firsttimer2 wrote:
Ive been trying to find info regarding SF placements and how it compares to regular ft mba program in terms of integration with the bschool community; doesn't seem to be a whole lot of info out there.

Hey FT-

Not sure if you're talking about job placement or acceptance / matriculation into the program...

As for job placement, I've seen a few articles out there that basically says that job placement for Sloanies (and many other EMBA programs) is virtually non-existent. And this actually makes sense - the students are not uniform enough (in terms of experience and career progression) to draw a large number of recruiters / positions to campus. So, unlike newly minted MBAs, a competitive shotgun interviewing approach doesn't work. So, hiring for more experienced EMBAs (and Sloanies) tends to be more hand-picked and drawn from the students own connections. Also, Stanford, in particular, breeds a lot of entrepreneurs - so the Sloanies are particularly likely to be launching startups, not looking for jobs...

As for placement into the GSB as a whole, what I've been able to find indicates that Sloan students get a summer term to get to know each other and wipe out some core curriculum courses. Then, in the fall, join with the rest of the MBA students in many electives and b-school life. Sloanies are up to speed by this time and are almost as seasoned as the second year students - definitely senior to the first year students. No idea how this compares to Sloan programs elsewhere.

I've got links to other Sloan student blogs in my new blog... Might help...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [2]
Concentration: General Management, Operations
WE:Project Management (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Hey guys,

While researching about potential business schools and programs for someone at my age (33, starting at 34), kinda too old for a FT MBA, I had the opportunity to talk with several alumnus from Stanford and MIT about placement support in the Sloan programs and how it compares to the traditional FT MBA programs. The summary of what I heard is:

• Self-funded Sloan Fellows have full access to the career management center just as FT MBA students do;
  • Self-funded Sloan Fellows can attend all recruitment events that target the FT MBA students;

However, such resources are not very "compatible" with the nature of the Sloan program, which attracts more experienced folks. Few fellows seek, for example, an associate position at MBB, because previous to the Sloan program they normally already had position with the level of responsibly (and compensation) at least equal to the MBB associates. On the other hand, it is not very usual too for a management consulting or private equity firm to hire someone over 30 without previous experience in the field. Based on that, as NewCardinal commented, most of the fellows choose to launch startups or to return to the industry in senior positions, in general not available to MBAs, but that require more effort to find (and to receive offers) than the typical FT MBA options.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NewCardinal wrote:
firsttimer2 wrote:

Hi Firsttimer-

I have not been able to find admission stats for Sloan Fellows - and I did a lot of searching prior to applying... I don't even know how many people apply. The current cohort (class of 2013) is 81 enrolled students.

The only useful stat I saw was international students make up ~60% of the incoming class.

Hopefully someone else will find something!

Hi NewCardinal,

Did you also look at MIT Sloan Fellows which awards an MBA too? If so, I would be interested to know why you chose Stanford over MIT? Doesn't MBA have better brand value?

Thx and Congrats on admission.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ratnapukiran wrote:
Did you also look at MIT Sloan Fellows which awards an MBA too? If so, I would be interested to know why you chose Stanford over MIT? Doesn't MBA have better brand value?

Nope - didn't even look at MIT...

I'm huge on Stanford's strong legacy in Entrepreneurship. I'm less concerned about what other people think about my degree - more interested in what I will learn and who I will meet. So MSMgmt -vs- MBA was totally not an issue for me. For people who get hung up about that, I will still be able to say that I went to Stanford GSB...

I really think that people with my level of work experience (18 years) will mostly agree with me...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you. I have heard lots of good things too about Entrepreneurship at Stanford.
NewCardinal wrote:
ratnapukiran wrote:

Nope - didn't even look at MIT...

I'm huge on Stanford's strong legacy in Entrepreneurship. I'm less concerned about what other people think about my degree - more interested in what I will learn and who I will meet. So MSMgmt -vs- MBA was totally not an issue for me. For people who get hung up about that, I will still be able to say that I went to Stanford GSB...

I really think that people with my level of work experience (18 years) will mostly agree with me...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
GPA: 2.96
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
Hello,

My question is to all the current admits to the Stanford Sloan Master's Program.

What is the process once you have submitted the application? Are all admits interviewed? If yes, what is the time-frame for interview notification/invites ?
Anything else specific to the Sloan program admission process that is different from the normal MBA process?

I applied to the MBA program and Stanford sent a mail saying I should send an additional essay if I want to be considered for the Sloan program. I have sent the essay before the Round 2 deadline (Jan 15), but nothing else is clarified about the admission process after that.

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
theblueknight wrote:
What is the process once you have submitted the application? Are all admits interviewed? If yes, what is the time-frame for interview notification/invites ?
Anything else specific to the Sloan program admission process that is different from the normal MBA process?

Hi BlueKnight-

I submitted my application on 1 Oct, before the R1 deadline (15 Oct I think).

I was not contacted to schedule an interview until 11 Dec. Interview was conducted on 18 Dec -- I spoke with one of the ADCOM directors. I got a call on 21 Dec with an acceptance -- offer was sent electronically on 7 Jan or 8 Jan.

I think a difference will be who you interview with. All Sloan interviewees are interviewed by the ADCOM staff. I believe that the MBAs are often interviewed by MBA alumni.

I'm guessing they invited you to apply to the Sloan program because you are either more experienced or older than the typical FT MBA demographic...

Good luck with your application!

-Erik
Intern
Intern
Send PM
NewCardinal wrote:
theblueknight wrote:

Hi BlueKnight-

I submitted my application on 1 Oct, before the R1 deadline (15 Oct I think).

I was not contacted to schedule an interview until 11 Dec. Interview was conducted on 18 Dec -- I spoke with one of the ADCOM directors. I got a call on 21 Dec with an acceptance -- offer was sent electronically on 7 Jan or 8 Jan.

I think a difference will be who you interview with. All Sloan interviewees are interviewed by the ADCOM staff. I believe that the MBAs are often interviewed by MBA alumni.

I'm guessing they invited you to apply to the Sloan program because you are either more experienced or older than the typical FT MBA demographic...

Good luck with your application!

-Erik

Hi Erik,
Did you visit the campus? Are you expected to visit?

Thx,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
GPA: 2.96
WE:General Management (Real Estate)
Send PM