Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [1]
Send PM
Re: Ross PT Vs McCombs PT Vs Rice PMBA [#permalink]
Kudos
That's a tougher nut to crack. If you get a part-time MBA you won't have the exposure to on-campus recruiting and a summer internship in strategic consulting that a top full-time program offers. That said you may be able to work your network to transition to strategic consulting, but prepare for an uphill battle as the top firms like to recruit newly minted MBAs at top full-time programs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
That's a tougher nut to crack. If you get a part-time MBA you won't have the exposure to on-campus recruiting and a summer internship in strategic consulting that a top full-time program offers. That said you may be able to work your network to transition to strategic consulting, but prepare for an uphill battle as the top firms like to recruit newly minted MBAs at top full-time programs.

The Haas EWMBA program provides opportunities to switch into both consulting and IB. Haas' career services center helps you put together a plan to ensure that you are a strong candidate in order to make the transition. Between your second and third year, you are expected to quit your current job, then recruit and intern with the FT MBA students (note, while most recruiting events are open to PT students, not all of them are). For people who are dedicated to complete the work that is necessary to make the transition, the opportunity is there. I'm not sure if many other PT MBA programs offer this, however, this is something you may want to research at the programs you were admitted.
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Kudos
Given your options and current status, I say the McCombs PT program makes the most sense. While the other two programs are fine, the extra time and money you would spend on the commute can be put to much better use networking, attending conferences, participating in student organizations, etc. Additionally, as all three schools are pretty similar in terms of reputation, I see no need to put yourself through the stress of always moving around just to attend school.

If you do plan to transition careers, make sure that you start leveraging all the resources at McCombs from day one -- this includes attending firm information sessions, networking events, join student clubs, etc. Also, start leveraging the UT/McCombs alumni network and start meeting people and building relationships with them.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks a lot for your suggestions people. I appreciate it!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: GM
Schools:Ross PT
WE 1: Operations Management
WE 2: Project Management
WE 3: Project Engineer
Send PM
I graduate from the Ross Weekend program in May. I would say it's considerably better than the other two options :)

Most of my classmates, that were interested in switching positions, have successfully recruited for their new roles.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Jeffelite wrote:
I graduate from the Ross Weekend program in May. I would say it's considerably better than the other two options :)

Most of my classmates, that were interested in switching positions, have successfully recruited for their new roles.

Thanks Jeffelite. The truth is that all the current students that I talked to from these three schools pretty much said the same things about their respective schools.

Quantitatively, I see little difference between Ross and McCombs, Rice is a little behind both of these school. The employment stats were obtained from BW. Please see attached.

Qualitatively, each school has something to offer besides world class business education:
MAP, Leadership Initiative, Entrepreneurship at Ross,
MBA+ and Texas Venture Labs/Entrepreneurship at McCombs,
Capstone, REEP, and electives at Rice

Frankly, I do not yet see reason enough to invest an extra 50K in MBA from Ross. But, I still have time and my research continues...
Attachments

Ross Vs McCombs.xlsx [10.68 KiB]
Downloaded 108 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 280 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 690 Q50 V33
GMAT 2: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.6
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Hey TXGuy,

I think you should stay put at Austin. Had it been Kellog Vs UT or Hass Vs UT then UT would be out of contention but Ross is totally on par with UT. Ensure that you can access UT's career service. Also find out whether you will be allowed to attend events (networking & job) meant for full time. There are some schools such as Stern that have such limitations.

Now one major flip side would be network. At Ross you will have a bigger network compared to that of UT.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
Rice would be off the table, given McCombs is in the mix and your location.

McCombs would also take the cake given your post-MBA goals. It will be tough recruiting for MC out of a part time program. Recruiting for MC from a PT program across the country will be EXTREMELY difficult.

1) Even if you are allowed to attend the full time recruiting events, will you consider take a vacation day, pay for flight/transport/hotel for a bit of face time with the recruiters (and companies come on campus A LOT at different times)? Many of the MC considers face time an important part of recruiting.

2) To prepare for consulting interviews, you will need practice casing. Although it is technically possible to case on your own, it is much effective and easier to have a classmate to case with.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
After giving a lot of thought to it, I have decided to go for McCombs. Hopefully, it'll work out well!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
txguy wrote:
After giving a lot of thought to it, I have decided to go for McCombs. Hopefully, it'll work out well!

Congrats, and good luck!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
txguy wrote:

Congrats, and good luck!

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
In the part-time McCombs program you will have access to all the same tools the full-time students have, including OCR. In fact, your resume will look almost exactly like the full-time students. You will also have access to all the people that are in your class that already have jobs.The career office also told us that sometimes employers will request student resumes from the part-time program because they have new and relevant work experience.

I'm at the McCombs DFW program, and very happy with it so far. There is also a girl in my class that just transferred to DFW from the evening program so I can ask her anything you like. I know Deloitte recruits heavily from the PT program, and MBB does hire students every year on campus so I don't think it should be that difficult.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1132 posts