Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:37 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [19]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [21]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 610 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up [#permalink]
Kudos
OA is +1 D

A - Use of would is incorrect since the sentence is in the present tense, so go with will instead. Make should be making since this is happening simultaneously with another activity
B – look at the protection of consumers distorts the meaning of the sentence
C – for looking is unidiomatic
E - for looking at protectin‘ is unidiomatic and awkward\

:-D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up [#permalink]
getgyan wrote:
OA is +1 D

A - Use of would is incorrect since the sentence is in the present tense, so go with will instead. Make should be making since this is happening simultaneously with another activity

Hi,

While also isn t awekward generally speaking? The meaning of while implies an 'also' meaning as well...
Can you give the source please?

Thank you.
Happy new year

R26

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
Re: The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink]
Anyone can throw some light on the 3:2 divide, i understand that is used for explaining the essential clause but the usage of for is still not out of place, is it? Will look at will become future tense and making becomes present perfect, so with that the correct answer is D but i feel there is a catch with that and for.

Cheers

Posted from GMAT ToolKit
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 431 [0]
Given Kudos: 131
Send PM
pqhai wrote:
"For" is incorrect preposition, the intended meaning is about the "plan" - the White house has set up a panel to look at...... Thus, "for" which means "because" is incorrect. ==> C, E are out.
"That" is correct modifier. B, D remain.

[

Hope it's clear.

Hi PG,
Thank you for the response.
In this question i agree the intended meaning is about the plan, For as a preposition can be used to indicate the use of something. "I am asking this question for some clarity." "This plan is for the underprivileged kids". I don't think here the intended meaning is because." For, this reason the plan was a failure"----here the" for" would sound more like because.

Although i got the answer through other splits, I think For over here is not completely wrong. For can be used as an intended use of the plan, which is looking at protecting consumers. Still some confusion with the 3:2 splits with regards to For and That in my brain :oops: Thanks for the other feedback though, used those to get the right answer.

Cheers
Farhan
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8554 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
farhanc85 wrote:
pqhai wrote:
"For" is incorrect preposition, the intended meaning is about the "plan" - the White house has set up a panel to look at...... Thus, "for" which means "because" is incorrect. ==> C, E are out.
"That" is correct modifier. B, D remain.

[

Hope it's clear.

Hi PG,
Thank you for the response.
In this question i agree the intended meaning is about the plan, For as a preposition can be used to indicate the use of something. "I am asking this question for some clarity." "This plan is for the underprivileged kids". I don't think here the intended meaning is because." For, this reason the plan was a failure"----here the" for" would sound more like because.

Although i got the answer through other splits, I think For over here is not completely wrong. For can be used as an intended use of the plan, which is looking at protecting consumers. Still some confusion with the 3:2 splits with regards to For and That in my brain :oops: Thanks for the other feedback though, used those to get the right answer.

Cheers
Farhan

Hi Farhan.

In fact, there are many ways to use preposition "for". We cannot remember them properly, so just focus on typical usages that Gmat usually tests. I'd like to share a very usefully article about "To Verb vs For Verb-ing" from egmat. You can learn how to eliminate wrong answers quickly..

to-verb-vs-for-verb-ing-144017.html

Hope it clears your doubt.

Best regards.

Pqhai.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 325 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consulting)
Send PM
I am not able to understand why "look at the protection of consumers" is not correct. As per my knowledge, "to look at something" means "to take care of something" but not sure of it though.

Can somone please elaborate on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 338 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Schools: LBS MIF '19
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency [#permalink]
I am not able to get how option B changes the intended meaning of the sentence (for some reason, I find them similar in meaning).. How exactly is "protection of consumers" different from "how to protect consumers"?

Thanks in advance!! :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
WE:Business Development (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
+1 for D, eliminating unidiomatic C & E and preserving the meaning of the sentence that's clearing missing in A & B
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 85 [0]
Given Kudos: 905
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 620 Q50 V24
GRE 1: Q167 V147
Send PM
Hi expert,

From my understanding,"while" can be used to either 1)present the contrast or 2)depict the simultaneous action which happen at the same time.In this question "while" is used to depict the simultaneous action.Is it ok to use "while" to express that something will happen and,at the same time,another thing will happen in the future?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 254
Send PM
getgyan wrote:
OA is +1 D

Hi GetGyan,

Can you please elaborate on the following statement -->Make should be making since this is happening simultaneously with another activity
I am not able to clearly understand the above stated explanation.

Thanks.
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
sleepynut wrote:
Hi expert,

From my understanding,"while" can be used to either 1)present the contrast or 2)depict the simultaneous action which happen at the same time.In this question "while" is used to depict the simultaneous action.Is it ok to use "while" to express that something will happen and,at the same time,another thing will happen in the future?

Yes, "while" can be used to depict simultaneity of two events in any tense (including future).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency panel that would look at how to protect consumers while also make United States companies more competitive internationally

If first choice were :. that will look at how to protect consumers while also make

would it be correct choice?

I just wanted to know if clause with while marker can pick the subject of previous clause. In other words--

while verb+ing-- correct usage

while clause-- correct usage

while verb+......-- subject is missing (picking up from previous clause)-- not sure if it is incorrect

+1 Kudos if you like the post :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 153 [0]
Given Kudos: 145
GPA: 3.9
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
The White House, meanwhile, has set up its own interagency panel that would look at how to protect consumers while also make United States companies more competitive internationally

If first choice were :. that will look at how to protect consumers while also make

I just wanted to know if clause with while marker can pick the subject of previous clause. In other words--

while verb+......-- subject is missing (picking up from previous clause)-- not sure if it is incorrect
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
AR15J wrote:

Since "while" is a conjunction, logically it might seem that it is alright to join two verbs. However it is not a practice to join two verbs (with the same subject) using "while" - as you pointed out, a verb can be joined with a gerund, or two clauses can be joined.

I sing, while I play.... correct (two clauses are joined)
While playing, I sing.... correct ( A verb is joined with a gerund - same subject)
I sing while play.... incorrect.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts