Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:02 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:02

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Too boring, Too verbal (Q-50,V-24) [#permalink]
Thx for advices, especially ninja's advice looks so interesting but i think it is worth to try.

Btw, I have already finished Official guides, (both 12th edition and verbal review). As I said before, I was actually not that bad. For example, in the verbal review in official guide, I had 10-15 wrong answers out of almost 100 question. But, I was doing like, let's say, 10 at a time. Then doing some other things and going back and solving 15 more questions like that. I did not find the time issue problem because I always left some more minutes in fulll CAT's.

I think that I need to suffer at home all alone before doing the actual test. Well , after 3 days break, and I'm back and going to study again...

Although I have done everything to be ready to test, I couldn not achieve my target. That makes me sick. At that point I find nothing to do more, but going to try ninja's advide and suffer at home all alone with 50 questions at a sit.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
To add to the advice given by the posters above, the most important thing you should do now is take sufficient rest. More often than not, we have seen candidates getting totally fatigued after the first attempt. The pressure to score well on the second attempt will compel you to study even harder and you may end up getting fatigued even more by the time you take your test again. Do not study for more than 3-4 hours per day and make sure that you take a break of at least 1 day per week. Focus not on studying more but on identifying how you could do better in the areas you need to improve in. Focus not on doing too many questions but rather on learning from a few questions. A lot of times we have seen candidates know the theory well, but when it comes to application of those concepts, they fizzle out totally so make application of concepts your priority especially in SC and you should be good to go!

Originally posted by AristotlePrep on 02 Jan 2013, 00:17.
Last edited by AristotlePrep on 02 Jan 2013, 23:50, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
In additions to what Jums said, the approach I took was simple

AWA is a template based thing. Just follow the template and you CAN NOT score below 5. Enough to secure an admission. Don't waste your focus or energy in AWA.

IR does not matter at all so just Ignore and take it as a relaxation before the actual fight. The point I want to drive is, the first half is just relax. Don't put any effort on this and don't drain any energy.

Math is your strong but you have to minimise the difference between quant and verbal. Your score must be as balanced as possible. This is the toughest part. You have to very carefully give up some of your quant. Interesting but this will help you. try to reduce your quant to 45 range. It is risky business but will make your score more balanced. Many school looks for a balanced score rather than a 700+ score with highly skewed rating.

So, save your energy for verbal and then attack!!

verbal needs two aspects, the fundamental knowledge and strategy. Manhattan and Aristotle is excellent and sufficient to beef up your fundamental. Aristotle strategy is the clear and consize direction how to attempt SC. Follow that, not blindly but intelligently and in principal. Aristotle strategy does not work even 50% for actual GMAT test, but the principal will help you to attempt each SC question in less than 1 minute. I finished the test almost 20 minute in spare!!. I got a bold face within first 10 questions.

CR was very natural and logical to me and I need not study any book.

RC is all about skimming. I just learned to eyeball the whole essay in around a minute time. Don't really read it or don't try to understand the meaning ... just map it. I repeat, just MAP it, understand which part is talking about what. Then read the question and based on that read the right section/area. I don't know how much I score in RC in GMAT but I scored 8.5 in IELTS.

And the final piece of advice. There is absolutely no shortcut in GMAT. Don't read all those online notes. GMAT try to trick you on all those shortcuts like being, whether/if. Read only right book and those are more than sufficient.

Practice OG

best of luck!!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37296 posts