Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 12:48 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 12:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Operations, General Management
WE:Corporate Finance (Transportation)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Re: Calling All Consortium 2013 Applicants [#permalink]
danjohn4real wrote:
I received my Darden acceptance letter but it made no reference to a scholarship. It said something about a "welcome gift" but it didnt explain what that was.

I did not get any mention of scholarship in my acceptance letter either. I hope there is something more to come.... any Darden R1 Constortium admits get any scholarship information
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(

...looks like they extended reply deadline for Consortium folks to April 16.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
DMNY31 wrote:
perfectblack999 wrote:
So I got into Tepper. The admission letter says the deposit is due Feb 15th....a month before the fellowships are announced. Is this a solid date? Does this apply to Consortium applicants?? If so that's not fair! :(

Yea...seems like a bit of a Catch22. Even if Tepper's deposit is due before fellowships are announced, its still worth losing a few G's for if you end up getting a 100k fellowship at another program.

Just got an email saying they're extending the deadline to April 16th for Consortium applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
jay4den wrote:
perfectblack999 wrote:

...looks like they extended reply deadline for Consortium folks to April 16.

beat me to it :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Do you guys think Darden would mind if we used the same example in the Consortium Core Essay 1 AND the main essay topic. Their regular app only has one essay so the consortium essay is really an extra essay. Thoughts?

Share your thought process as you encountered a challenging work situation or complex problem. How did this experience change your perspective? (500 words) *
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 10
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
i think you can touch on the same topic but approach it for a diff angle -- for example in my consortium mission essay (which the schools do read, correct?) i talked about leading an organization and helping a community and briefly mentioned it but then went much more in depth on a school specific essay to that one experience.. the why what where etc and then i also talked about mentoring in one but in my optional/supplemental essay i talked about my background and the WHY i mentor and give back to my community (because of growing up on my own)

i think/hope thats fine to do :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check. I am applying to the consortium Rd 2, and the application says its due on January 5th, midnight pacific time. Does that mean midnight Friday night (which is technically the 5th) or midnight Saturday night?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44
Send PM
helpmehelpme wrote:
i think you can touch on the same topic but approach it for a diff angle -- for example in my consortium mission essay (which the schools do read, correct?) i talked about leading an organization and helping a community and briefly mentioned it but then went much more in depth on a school specific essay to that one experience.. the why what where etc and then i also talked about mentoring in one but in my optional/supplemental essay i talked about my background and the WHY i mentor and give back to my community (because of growing up on my own)

i think/hope thats fine to do :)

So, I wanted to reach out to you guys because I have heard mixed messages about this. NYU has told me that they do not see the Membership Essay. Does anyone here know for sure what essays are seen by the schools?

Does each school see only the core Consortium essays and their specific essays? Or do they see all of them? Or just the specific essays?

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V41
WE:Editorial and Writing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
bibby44 wrote:
This may be a stupid question, but I just wanted to double check. I am applying to the consortium Rd 2, and the application says its due on January 5th, midnight pacific time. Does that mean midnight Friday night (which is technically the 5th) or midnight Saturday night?

Thanks

I think this means midnight on Saturday night, so 3 am Saturday morning east coast time. I submitted mine after work on the due date for R1 (I guess that would be Friday in this example) and they were on time.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Concentration: Nonprofit, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
Send PM
Krest19 wrote:
So, I wanted to reach out to you guys because I have heard mixed messages about this. NYU has told me that they do not see the Membership Essay. Does anyone here know for sure what essays are seen by the schools?

Does each school see only the core Consortium essays and their specific essays? Or do they see all of them? Or just the specific essays?

Thanks!

I was under the impression that schools don't see the member essays until students are accepted and the univ. is doing the fellowship draft...?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Schools:Cornell (accepted)
Send PM
Kudos
Hi All! I just had to jump in here as a 2011 Consortium applicant and major blogger. I remember these same questions last year and the year before.

1. Schools see everything except membership essays...

2. When you're putting your essays into the consortium system, use Internet Explorer. I remember having issues with it. They may have changed it since I applied, but if you're having trouble copy and pasting, then switch browsers.

3. I wrote this blog post, recounting my application process from 2 years ago, since today is the day that I hit submit. I wanted to give everyone something to think about AFTER you've all submitted your applications today. The link titled Application Submission Exhaustion in the blog post is quite funny as it recounts the frustration I experienced 2 years ago!

Blog Link: https://bit.ly/Jan5Submission

Best of Luck to all!!!!! You're about to embark on the most amazing experience of your life!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
GMAT 1: 660 Q39 V41
GMAT 2: 730 Q45 V44
Send PM
money9111 wrote:
Hi All! I just had to jump in here as a 2011 Consortium applicant and major blogger. I remember these same questions last year and the year before.

2. When you're putting your essays into the consortium system, use Internet Explorer. I remember having issues with it. They may have changed it since I applied, but if you're having trouble copy and pasting, then switch browsers.

3. I wrote this blog post, recounting my application process from 2 years ago, since today is the day that I hit submit. I wanted to give everyone something to think about AFTER you've all submitted your applications today. The link titled Application Submission Exhaustion in the blog post is quite funny as it recounts the frustration I experienced 2 years ago!

Best of Luck to all!!!!! You're about to embark on the most amazing experience of your life!

Thank you! All this information is incredibly helpful! Glad to hear you've enjoyed your time at Johnson, it's one of my top schools!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
I also just realized that the actual DAY that I hit submit was WEDNESDAY (yesterday). The actual DATE was the 5th. This shows that once you get into b-school, you forget which day of the week it is and/or the date. #Truth. NeverTheLess... Good Luck!

Krest19 wrote:
money9111 wrote:

Thank you! All this information is incredibly helpful! Glad to hear you've enjoyed your time at Johnson, it's one of my top schools!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Does the Consortium state anywhere that they will not share your rankings with the schools until after you are accepted? For some reason I was under that impression, but now I find out that this is not true. Either way, it seems like a breach of trust. I wish I knew this before I applied; my strategy definitely would have been different.

If an applicant is sure that a particular Consortium school is not their top choice, and that school is one of those which requires applicants to rank it #1 in order to consider the applicant, the applicant would be better off applying through the regular application rather than the Consortium application.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
Schools see the rankings when they get your application. Now whether or not you're admitted to a school is different from whether or not you get a fellowship.

Also don't forget about the benefit of being IN the Consortium. There are a lot of opportunities beyond an acceptances. It's a lifelong "club" so to speak.

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GPA: 3.6
WE:Law (Law)
Send PM
Hey quick question. I am ranking the schools in order to maximize the odds of a fellowship and membership in the Consortium. Two questions:

Which of the following three schools is probably the EASIEST to get into Michigan, Cornell, and UVA. I want to rank that school one.

Which of the three schools gives out the most fellowship money. I thought it was Michigan but I don't know anything about Cornell and UVA.

Thanks,
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 13
Send PM
peeweeninja wrote:
Hey quick question. I am ranking the schools in order to maximize the odds of a fellowship and membership in the Consortium. Two questions:

Which of the following three schools is probably the EASIEST to get into Michigan, Cornell, and UVA. I want to rank that school one.

Which of the three schools gives out the most fellowship money. I thought it was Michigan but I don't know anything about Cornell and UVA.

Thanks,

I would advise against that. I would rank the schools in the order in which you would want to attend. Given that the schools can see the rankings, some are sensitive to that information and may not invite you to interview on the basis of ranking them lower. I ranked #1 the school that I thought I had the least chance of getting into, and I've already received an interview invite. Just my $0.02. But after speaking to others that went through the Consortium, they advised me to do the same.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  56   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6921 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts