Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:55 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: 505-555 Levelx   Strengthenx                     
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 790 [49]
Given Kudos: 56
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [15]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 422 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Status:exam is close ... dont know if i ll hit that number
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 10-09-2012
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: The local board of education found that, because the current physics [#permalink]
its e because it is only option whjich weakens the conclusion
here i was struck with option a for a while
but after going through e i thoroughly picked it
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [2]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: The local board of education found that, because the current physics [#permalink]
Kudos
I answered this one incorrectly at first.

Here is my thinking from the second time around:

Curriculum with little relevance >>> Low attendance

Curriculum with Production and Visual images is more relevant >>> So more people will attend

We assume that Production and Visual Images is relevant .

Strengthen: Production and Visual Images IS relevant.

Does my reasoning make sense?
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 2583 [3]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
jogorhu wrote:
I answered this one incorrectly at first.

Here is my thinking from the second time around:

Curriculum with little relevance >>> Low attendance

Curriculum with Production and Visual images is more relevant >>> So more people will attend

We assume that Production and Visual Images is relevant .

Strengthen: Production and Visual Images IS relevant.

Does my reasoning make sense?

Yes, your reasoning makes sense - you need to find an answer choice that states your assumption that Production and Visual Images are relevant (E is that answer).

KW
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
piyatiwari wrote:
relevant to today’s world -> attracting less students. To

It should be fewer - GMAT Style.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
GPA: 2.75
Send PM
The local board of education found that, because the current physics curriculum has little direct relevance to today’s world, physics classes attracted few high school students. So to attract students to physics classes, the board proposed a curriculum that emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images.

Premise - Students are not attracted to Physics as it has little relevance to today’s world.
Conclusion - To attract students,the board proposed a curriculum that emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images.

Argument says that students are less attracted for a reason (it has little relevance to today’s world) and then mentions a solution to solve the issue and increase attraction of students.
So, for the solution(here new curriculum) to work, it has to refer to the actual earlier mentioned reason i.e. solution should show relevance to today's world.

Option E exactly does this by linking features of new curriculum with aspects of today's world.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
PerseveranceWins wrote:
The local board of education found that, because the current physics curriculum has little direct relevance to today’s world, physics classes attracted few high school students. So to attract students to physics classes, the board proposed a curriculum that emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images.

Premise - Students are not attracted to Physics as it has little relevance to today’s world.
Conclusion - To attract students,the board proposed a curriculum that emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images.

Argument says that students are less attracted for a reason (it has little relevance to today’s world) and then mentions a solution to solve the issue and increase attraction of students.
So, for the solution(here new curriculum) to work, it has to refer to the actual earlier mentioned reason i.e. solution should show relevance to today's world.

Option E exactly does this by linking features of new curriculum with aspects of today's world.

Why B could not explain the gap?
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
anacla01 wrote:
PerseveranceWins wrote:

Why B could not explain the gap?

Premise: students prefer courses with relevance to today’s world.
Conclusion: introduction of courses on principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images in curriculum would help attract students.

If option B were " Knowledge of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world.", then it could be a correct explanation.

That physics in general is becoming important does not explain why introducing one particular course would help attract students - students would then in any case be attracted to study physics irrespective of whether the course is introduced or not.

Hence B is wrong.
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 201 [0]
Given Kudos: 332
Send PM

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to expect that the proposed curriculum will be successful in attracting students?

(A) Several of the fundamental principles of physics are involved in producing and analyzing visual images. X

(B) Knowledge of physics is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world. X

(C) Equipment that a large producer of photographic equipment has donated to the high school could be used in the proposed curriculum. X

(D) The number of students interested in physics today is much lower than the number of students interested in physics 50 years ago. X

(E) In today’s world the production and analysis of visual images is of major importance in communications, business, and recreation. CORRECT

E is bang on and what we want…there is an identified need for taking physics because of the relevant applications that students can apply their knowledge to. Don’t be tempted by B (the main contender) for this problem just because it uses words like ‘today’s world’ in the passage. It’s unclear what role ‘technology’ has as well…irrelevant.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 92 [0]
Given Kudos: 168
WE:Corporate Finance (Accounting)
Send PM
The local board of education found that, because the current physics [#permalink]
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:

Hello Expert ,
AjiteshArun EducationAisle

I would like your views on Choice A .

I feel Choice A is a mild strengthener.

Below is my reasoning:-

So we need to strengthen that change in curriculum will attract students.

Now what is the change ?

the board proposed a curriculum that emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images.
----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Pre thinking -

1/ What if the principles of physics cannot be involved in producing and analysing visual images.
ie what if we cannot use the above technique of producing and analysing visual images to teach physics ?

~In the above case , then the proposed curriculum will not be able to attract students~

Choice A tells us that Several of the fundamental principles of physics are involved in producing and analyzing visual images
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I agree on the point that Choice E makes a link between two points made in the stimulus , and hence is best choice
What are the two points ?

a/ Producing and analysing visual images
b/ Relevance in today's world

Thanks.­
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [0]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Expert Reply
PriyamRathor wrote:
I would like your views on Choice A .

A is talking about "fundamental principles of physics", while the premise is about "today's world".

So, that's the disconnect in A.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 454
Send PM
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:

Which of the following, if true, provides the strongest reason to expect that the proposed curriculum will be successful in attracting students?

(A) Several of the fundamental principles of physics are involved in producing and analyzing visual images.

(B) Knowledge of physics is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world.

(C) Equipment that a large producer of photographic equipment has donated to the high school could be used in the proposed curriculum.

(D) The number of students interested in physics today is much lower than the number of students interested in physics 50 years ago.

(E) In today’s world the production and analysis of visual images is of major importance in communications, business, and recreation.

­Hi KarishmaB GMATNinja KyleWiddison GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354 egmat

I am a bit confused with option B, did we eliminate it because it is talking about "knowledge of physics" instead of "curriculum of physics"? I thought this was a reason because the argument talks about the relevance of the curriculum of physics.

Also, if revised option B was "Curriculum of physics is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world.", would option B have been correct? Let's assume the correct answer option E was not given with revised option B.
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63656 [0]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Expert Reply
agrasan wrote:
PUNEETSCHDV wrote:

(A) Several of the fundamental principles of physics are involved in producing and analyzing visual images.

(B) Knowledge of physics is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world.

(C) Equipment that a large producer of photographic equipment has donated to the high school could be used in the proposed curriculum.

(D) The number of students interested in physics today is much lower than the number of students interested in physics 50 years ago.

(E) In today’s world the production and analysis of visual images is of major importance in communications, business, and recreation.

­Hi KarishmaB GMATNinja KyleWiddison GMATNinjaTwo nightblade354 egmat

I am a bit confused with option B, did we eliminate it because it is talking about "knowledge of physics" instead of "curriculum of physics"? I thought this was a reason because the argument talks about the relevance of the curriculum of physics.

Also, if revised option B was "Curriculum of physics is becoming increasingly important in understanding the technology used in today’s world.", would option B have been correct? Let's assume the correct answer option E was not given with revised option B.

The passage starts off by introducing a problem: the kids these days don't want to learn physics. Why? Because "the current physics curriculum has little direct relevance to today’s world."

To solve this issue, the school board has proposed a new curriculum. This proposed curriculum "emphasizes principles of physics involved in producing and analyzing visual images."

We're looking for a reason to expect that the "proposed curriculum" will attract students. Why is this exact plan a good one?

Here's (B):

Quote:

(B) talks about knowledge of physics in general. Sure, physics is important for understanding technology -- but how does this tie in with the proposed curriculum? Does this new curriculum include the important stuff mentioned in (B)? We have absolutely no idea.

As for your proposed rewrite: it is rarely worth it to change the language of answer choices, because that's a distraction from the task of evaluating the options that you've been given. However, one note on your rewrite is that you'd really have to distinguish WHICH curriculum you're talking about. The passage discusses the "current curriculum" and a "proposed curriculum." We need to know specifically that the proposed curriculum is relevant, and will therefore attract students.

That's exactly what we get with (E), so (E) is the correct answer.

I hope that helps!­
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts