Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 15:38 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 15:38

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [2]
Given Kudos: 39
Concentration: Technology
Schools: Sloan '14 (M)
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V40
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Peer Review Service for Essays [#permalink]
sounds very compelling, definitely going to try one set of essays here in the coming month..
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [1]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
I used Bethany's services for an essay and would like to share my views on the experience I had

Disclaimer: Writing the below as a critic, although I myself am no expert :) however, want to give it a flavour of a review. Hence, take my 'Areas of Improvement' comments with a pinch of salt, as it is actually me who's gunning for the improvement :)
Background: I have used editing services for only 1 essay thus far, which was for a reapplication

Experience:
1. Extremely good turnaround
2. Very sharp editing - reduced redundancy immensely eg: up to 20% word count reduction while giving me comfort of no loss in meaning
3. Very detailed inputs on why she was cutting something, why she recommended adding something, why something was out of place etc. rather than merely editing it. Ample commentary
4. Very helpful attitude - followed up proactively and remained in touch like a friend would - I am sure she'll be a welcome part of the Sloan fraternity

Areas of Improvement
Only one area - I felt her comments were more on grammar, prose, style and flow than the quality of what was written. Not to say that there was no focus on the latter, but could be more detailed. Eg: what is HER opinion of my essay as a reader who doesnt know me in person but only through the essay. To be honest, I only did a reapplicant essay with her where there is limited space to put down so much and hence is more 'plane jane' leaving limited room for exhibiting creativity. Or maybe I am just that good? :) haha

Would I engage her for other essays? Yes. As an applicant, I need a good sounding board and I think Bethany is a good one. For grammar and content, I think she's excellent. I hope to get more qualitative comments from her the next time round and if my experience changes, I will post it here.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Nonprofit
Schools: Stanford GSB - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.9
Send PM
Fellow Gmat Clubbers,

Bethany helped me with one application (3 essays), and I would like to share my experience.

Pros:
- Turnaround time. In less than 24 hours she sent me back my reviewed essays.
- Superb written English skills. Since I am an international applicant, my essays had some typos. She pointed out each error and suggested new wording options in order to still deliver the message intended. She even explained why I should change some words and sentences (specific grammar rules, sentence fluency, word-count, etc).
- Great overall admissions perspective. She knows what an adcom is looking for in an applicant. Based on your essays she can give you a very honest and valuable opinion on what to mention and what to avoid in your essays.
- She transmits a very positive vibe.

Cons:
- Seriously, none. She completely exceeded my expectations.

If you need someone to thoroughly review your essays, I absolutely recommend you contact Bethany.
Manager
Manager
Status:If u've ego, u've reached ur limit; if ur humble u've no limit.
Affiliations: IIT
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 30
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 720 Q50 V37
GPA: 3.1
Send PM
I think I have unique perspective on this issue for I've had my essays reviewed by professional consultant as well as by Bethany.

Anyway, I have showed two sets to her so far. I thought Bethany is incredibly smart, her critical comments are extremely helpful and turnaround time was about 24hrs in both the cases. Further, she is really good at saving words - with all the schools reducing the word limit, this is incredibly helpful.

Finally, I'll have her review my 3rd set very soon, and would highly recommend others to utilize her expertise - she charges only $160 for set of four while the professionals can take as much as $1K.

Having said that, I'd also like to emphasize that if you have not already introspected a lot and came up with selected stories, going to professional consultants would be more helpful than sending essays to Bethany - she is more for review than selecting your stories or assessing your profile. Perhaps most importantly, some of the consultants have FLIGHT TEST that involves somebody who has worked in the AdCom team to look at your resume, transcript, stories and overall profile, and provide you feedback - this is awesomely helpful feature.

Good Luck & Happy New Year!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 267 [0]
Given Kudos: 134
Concentration: Healthcare, International Business
GMAT 1: 710 Q42 V45
GMAT 2: 740 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Research (Consulting)
Send PM
Bottom line: I would recommend one uses Bethany for particularly tough essays, she decodes them well. If you do 80% of one application with her, it will help as she will get the bigger picture of your app and her suggestions are more in depth.

I asked Bethany (her GMATClub name) to review 4 out of 5 essays for INSEAD. And will request her help with Booth in the coming few days. My story is a bit different, I used Stacy Blackman for my first two essays, was bankrupted after that, and could not afford more schools with them. StacyBlackman was great for overall story building, short-term/longterm goals. I already had a good idea of my short term, but SB helped me firm up the longterm goals section. Anyway, that's relevant for the following reasons mentioned:

Pros for Bethany:
1) Turn around time: here's a comparison, StacyBlackman has a strict 48 hour policy. They apparently don;t even need to acknowledge that they have received your essay/edit till that time. Its frustrating when you have back to back deadlines, I didn't know if my consultant was working on it or not, and I had Wharton and Kellogg two weeks apart with Duke right after Kellogg. The consultant actually exceeded that 48 hour deadline, didn't pick up my calls to check, and sent it to me 3 days later. Was frustrating since I paid so much for dedicated service, really made me appreciate Bethany's one day turn around time.
2) Grammatical consistency/ROI for cost: A+
3) My "story" was already in place - however, I had made that story for U.S. schools, so my INSEAD app story was a bit shaky. She gave some good suggestions on changing my tone for this school, modifying some points etc. Some people above have mentioned that her suggestions are more on the grammatical side, as opposed to qualitative suggestions. I can't say that with firmness, I think if you call her attention to a particular paragraph or point and ask her opinion, she gives quite cogent answers.

Cons:
Don't really have one, here's a mixed point -
1) Bethany - one suggestion, this will increase your work, but you should request a one paragraph summary of the applicant's backgrund (or their resume). Just for increasing the insights on the actual points. Anyway, just a suggestion, I think she's doing a marvelous job!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you all for the positive and constructive feedback. I'm very happy to be able to help aspiring mba students (I was in your shoes last year!), and I appreciate the constructive feedback on how I can continue improving my services.

One thing I would like to emphasize for people who are considering getting my help:

From SyedSan: "if you have not already introspected a lot and came up with selected stories, going to professional consultants would be more helpful than sending essays to Bethany - she is more for review than selecting your stories or assessing your profile."

I completely agree with this point. Help me help you. I am NOT a professional admissions consultant, and I do NOT advertise my service as helping select stories or assessing your profile. And as such, I don't charge $1,000s for an application package. That sort of feedback takes a lot more time and admissions experience - both of which I obviously do not have as a full-time MIT Sloan student. Where I provide value is an objective perspective on your essay (e.g. what reaction would a reader have to your essay?) and very critical grammar/writing editing (is your essay easy to read? Remember, they are reading hundreds of applications).

Again, I've been thrilled to help everyone that's sought me out and I've tried my best to make it completely worth your value. Thank you all for the feedback.

A little advertisement to R2 readers: If you were not been successful in R1, consider this: does it make sense to submit the same application package to your second round of schools?
MBA Blogger
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Dear All,

this sounds interesting. I have blogging for more than 2.5 years and recipient of ClearAdmit Best of blogging awards for 2 consecutive years.

I have started offering free Essay reviews services on my blog- www.mbapensive.wordpress.com

Till now, more than 35 applicants with 130 essays have benefited from my services. On top that some of them have got into , Schulich, IE, AIM, ISB and one girl admitted to Harvard as well.

Please feel free to visit my blog and get in touch with me for free essay reviews page on my blog. It contains my motivation to start this initiative, Client testimonials, clarifications to doubts raised my some readers, result of admitted students.

Hope to hear back from you soon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Hello everyone! I took a short break to focus on recruiting and school-related activities but I'm back! If you are applying to R2/R3 or getting started early on R1, now is the time for a peer review. Please PM me for more information! I look forward to hearing from you :)

A little advertisement to R2/R3 readers: If you were not been successful in R1, consider this: does it make sense to submit the same application package to your second round of schools?
GMAT Club Bot