Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:20 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:20

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [21]
Given Kudos: 24
Concentration: Sustainability, Leadership
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 3.6
WE:Design (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [1]
Send PM
Re: My GMAT story– 690 12/27 (Q-44 V-40) from 390(Q-21 V-22) [#permalink]
Kudos
@samramandy: Thanks. I'm targeting Canadian schools and US schools which have a strong sustainable business program(like Ross,UNC).
@ajit: One thing that the GMAT thought me is that all advice on GMAT and strategies need to be taken in context. I had several people telling me that the GMAT could only show a max 100 point improvement from your diagnostic score.Also many of my friends who were in the 650 range in their first diagnostic score advised me that GMAT is not about studying but about strategy.All of this advice was genuine and true for them,but it was different for me. Read all strategies,see what works for you.Wish you all the best!
Founder
Founder
Own Kudos [?]: 72871 [0]
Given Kudos: 18857
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3
Send PM
Expert Reply
Wow. I have not seen many (almost any that I can remember who have improved 300! points)
I was able to get 200 point improvement and that was A LOT OF work but 300 is AMAZING!
Congratulations and thank you for a great post!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [2]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Kudos
wow @vandy! congrats on your score.. let me tell you something funny- you and i took the exam at the same center same day same time! and I even think we had breaks around the same time coz I remember you gulping down redbull and having snickers :D sorry I have an eidetic memory!
I stopped reading success after the exam- I made 640 (although i was making 680-690 on the mocks- I am guessing I just had a bad day). But I had to read your story coz of your 300 point jump! congrats once again.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Congrats Vandy. I guess I am in the same boat as you were in.. Quant is my weakness..
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Send PM
Kudos
Congratulations on Vandy on your score improvement!!! I've heard so many instructors saying that score increase is not possible so I love to see that if you set your mind to it and dedication, it is possible. I've been studying for that long too and hope I can increase a lot too. That video is really inspiring too. That is awesome!! This is definitely the best debrief I've seen. I am taking my exam in a week.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
dcastan2 wrote:
Congratulations on Vandy on your score improvement!!! I've heard so many instructors saying that score increase is not possible so I love to see that if you set your mind to it and dedication, it is possible. I've been studying for that long too and hope I can increase a lot too. That video is really inspiring too. That is awesome!! This is definitely the best debrief I've seen. I am taking my exam in a week.

good luck to you.. keep us updated on the experience
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
@bb: Thanks for your support. The whole GMAT experience made me realize that you should hear all suggestions,but you are the best person to evaluate and decide on what to do. My best friend used to keep telling me that most people are not able to increase their score points beyond 100,as they hear people tell them it's impossible and they give up.And that there was no reason I couldn't do it if I worked smart and worked hard.He drummed this into my head almost daily:)

@liarish: Wow,what a coincidence!I guess you could remember me as the mad red bull gulper :) Thanks for your wishes and I'm sorry that you had a bad day at the test.A bad day can easily decrease score by 20-30 points.I used to get frustrated reading all the stories of people who breezed into 750's with a month's preparation. I know that a 690 score is not a great score,just a ok one,but it was a success for me as I had a huge climb from my first diagnostic. I hoped by writing a honest post that I could give courage to people like me who are currently facing the same situation I did.

@Sachin9: If quants is your weakness like me,then I would suggest that you get good on concepts on commonly tested areas in GMAT quants https://www.gmathacks.com/math-strategy/ten-important-gmat-math-topics-you-must-master.html.And train yourself to always get the easy problems correct with no silly mistakes. Forget the difficult problems for now,as in GMAT you get difficult problems only after you cross the 600 range.Once you get a decent score in quants, based on your verbal score,you can devise your next gameplan.

@dcastan2: Instructors base their advice on commonly seen occurrences.But the great thing about the GMAT is that is not a IQ test,but a strategy test.So after honest evaluation of your strengths and weakness(instructors don't know you as well as you know yourself though they can offer great advice),you can devise a great game plan.Since this is your last week,I would suggest you watch the video everyday.Try to be clear at least a day before test how you're going to play the GMAT. You should play the entire process in your mind..like if I see a probability question which i can't figure out in 30 secs,I'll guess...if i felt i did quants section badly ..i will wipe this thought out during the break.All the best and keep us updated!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Hi Vandy,
Just want to check, have you received your score report yet ? If yes, then when did you receive it? Still waiting for mine!
Thanks!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
I just took a gmat prep.. 47 in Q and 33 in verbal. No idea how to improve in verbal now :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [0]
Send PM
@liarish: Yes,I got an email from pearson with my official test report scores.
@sachin9: If you post your problem in gmatclub,many experienced members will help you.If you want my help,PM me your story - what books you've read till now,what parts of Verbal are you weak in and how much time you have left to take the GMAT.I can offer my suggestions.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
VandyonWheels wrote:
@liarish: Yes,I got an email from pearson with my official test report scores.
@sachin9: If you post your problem in gmatclub,many experienced members will help you.If you want my help,PM me your story - what books you've read till now,what parts of Verbal are you weak in and how much time you have left to take the GMAT.I can offer my suggestions.

Vandy,

Would really be glad if you could share your timing strategy in verbal..

On an average , how much time u used to take to solve CR questions..

Is your vocab good and so u could tackle RC or what could be the reason which helped u crack verbal.
I am trying to know how people good in verbal think and act on teh test..

did u double check SC answers and did u just select after striking off the wrong answers?

did u take notes in RC ? did u skim or did u read the whole passage?

my exam's on 31st of this month..

though I don't find any substantial competency gap, i couldnt go beyond 33 in my recent mocks...

what troubled me ofcourse was my concentration.,
were you totally cool during your verbal.. because when you are cool ,reading a CR prompt once is sufficient.. if you are not cool, u tend to re-read the prompt..
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts