Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:42 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:42

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 702 [88]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 552 [28]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 80 [9]
Given Kudos: 109
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.67
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [5]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
Re: Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
A is a runon sentence.

D and E are contenders.. However, E changes the meaning by modifying the house instead of the festivals.

D is the answer.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 7773 [3]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 2: 780  Q50  V50
Send PM
Re: Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Basically, "that featured" should modify "festivals," rather than "home."
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [5]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Hi there,

e-gmat team wishes you all a very Happy New Year.

Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.

It is rather easy to eliminate choices A, B, and C. So let’s analyze the two close answer choices:

(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured: Correct. Relative pronoun “that” correctly refers to the preceding noun entity “festivals”.

(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured: Incorrect. Here “that” refers to “home”. Well, a noun modifier can certainly refer to the slightly far away noun that is the head of the preceding noun phrase of the noun modifier. However, in this case “that” cannot jump over “in her home” to refer to “festivals” because “in her home modifies” the verb “held” and not the noun “festivals”. This is the reason why it can be placed somewhere else in the sentence as seen in the correct choice and thus “that” cannot jump over this prepositional phrase to refer to the far away noun “festivals”.

To know in details when Noun Modifiers can refer to the far away nouns and when they cannot, claick on the following link to read the detailed article:
https://gmatclub.com/forum/noun-modifier ... 35868.html

Hope this helps.
Thanks.
Shraddha
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [4]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Operations, Social Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 NUS '16
GMAT Date: 08-27-2013
GPA: 3.46
WE:Project Management (Other)
Send PM
Kudos
I would go for D,
Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the preparation of great quantities of ceremonial food, the wearing of many layers of colorful clothing adorned with silver, and the recounting of traditional tribal jokes and stories.

(A) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured ---they has no reference
(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarch’s home, which featured--- here we have to use 'that' clause and moreover 'which' should modify festivals not homes
(C) Aho, who was a Kiowa matriarch in her home, held festivals featuring ---here featuring is verb, which is present continuos tense,but according to the meaning the verb should be pastense
(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured ---here the wrong in c is corrected i.e the tense of 'featured' and the that is correctly referring to festivals
(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured ---- here that can modify home or festivals.So ambiguous choice
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
Send PM
I have doubt on E, why 'that' modifies but not festivals. Because I read a rule 'that' modifies nearest grammatically and logically eligible word. But this questions seems to be an exception. Please explain....
CR Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 15266 [1]
Given Kudos: 26
Schools:
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V47
WE:Corporate Finance (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
rkvkvhariharan wrote:
I have doubt on E, why 'that' modifies but not festivals. Because I read a rule 'that' modifies nearest grammatically and logically eligible word. But this questions seems to be an exception. Please explain....

This is not an exception but an illustration of an important rule used frequently in GMAT, the modifier touch rule.

As per modifier touch rule, a modifier should in general refer to the noun it touches. In option E "that" wrongly refers to "home". In option D "that" correctly refers to "festivals". Therefore D is better than E.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 148
GMAT 1: 680 Q46 V37
GPA: 4
Send PM
Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the [#permalink]
Kudos
I think I am a little late to the party, but here is my question:

In A, they can refer to festivals as they can refer to non human things. Then, why can the section after comma not be considered an absolute phrase?

P.S.: I understand D is much more direct, but why not A?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 263 [0]
Given Kudos: 811
GMAT 1: 590 Q44 V27
GMAT 2: 600 Q46 V27
GMAT 3: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured the [#permalink]
POE:
A) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured Incorrect

=> IC,IC (run on sentence)

(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarch's home, which featured Incorrect

=> 'which featured..' modifies home. Per the original meaning, festivals fearured..

(C) Aho, who was a Kiowa matriarch in her home, held festivals featuring Incorrect

=> Modifier placement error: Festivals should be held in her home.

(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured Correct

(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured Incorect

=> 'that fearured' should modify festivals not her home.

Posted from my mobile device
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 1292 [2]
Given Kudos: 351
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

(A) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured -> "they" pronoun doesn't have a precedent. Incorrect.

(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarch's home, which featured -> Does home featured something. Incorrect.

(C) Aho, who was a Kiowa matriarch in her home, held festivals featuring -> She was "Kiowa matriarch in her home" doesn't make sense. Incorrect.

(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured -> It is better. Let's keep it.

(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured -> Same as B. Incorrect.

So, I think D. :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 368
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V36
Send PM
rahulraao wrote:

(A) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home, they featured

(B) Festivals were held in Aho, a Kiowa matriarch's home, which featured

(C) Aho, who was a Kiowa matriarch in her home, held festivals featuring

(D) In her home, Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals that featured

(E) Aho, a Kiowa matriarch, held festivals in her home that featured

Can't A be the right answer? Isn't "they featured...." an absolute phrase ??

GMATNinja VeritasKarishma

https://gmatclub.com/forum/about-70-percent-of-the-tomatoes-grown-in-the-united-states-come-from-162915.html
Have a look at this question and please help me understand whether "they featured..." is an absolute phrase or not?

EDIT
I am guessing because of the pronoun "they" it is not an absolute phrase !!
If the second part of the sentence were to start with "she" and were modifying (giving more information about her), then we could have called it an absolute phrase right?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 279
Concentration: Technology, Statistics
WE:Analyst (Computer Software)
Send PM
Doesn't ' In her home, Aho , ..' sound like 'In her home' is modifying Aho, and it would mean that Aho refers to the home? I do not think D is 100% ideal
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [2]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos