Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 19:08 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 19:08

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 54
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT 1: 710 Q44 V42
WE:Analyst (Insurance)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Schools: University of Minnesota (Carlson) - Class of 2014
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V32
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Re: Carlson (U of Minnesota) 2013 - Calling All MBA Applicants [#permalink]
Vargen wrote:
Hi everyone!

I have been reearching this progam, and it looks really interesting. I especially like the Enterprises where you can work with real clients as part of the program.

The only problem seems to be that this is perceived as a regional school, with great connections to the companies in the Twin Cities but nothing else.

What do you think about the career opportunities for international students getting a job in the US, in the Twin Cities or elsewhere? I would appreciate hearing if anyone on these boards have some knowledge about Carlson.

I'm currently a first year student at Carlson and i'll try to address some of the issues that you have mentioned.

The enterprises are a great part of the overall program and gives you a great way to interact with real clients and apply the concepts that you'll learn in class.

There are many career opportunities in the twin cities for domestic students and some of them hire international students. The biggest complaints that most international students have is that the biggest employers around the twin cities do not hire international students and that can be looked upon as a problem. However, career services has been doing more to help locate more jobs and employers outside the twin cities area and with a small class size at Carlson, they do offer more personalized career coaching to individuals.

I don't think finding a job is easy but it's not much easier anywhere else either. As an international student, you do have to put more effort and time into the job search. Still, the international placement rate is pretty high for this program.

If you have any more questions about the program feel free to post here or send a message. I'll try to answer them as best as i can
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thank you for your response, jksung5295.

It's certainly very informative to get to hear the insights of a current student.

I find it to be a little troublesome that (some) of the major companies in the Twin Cities don't hire international students, because they are the main drawing point of the area. You are probably right that this is true for several schools, and that international students generally have to work harder to find jobs after business school.

I would like to know more about the Enterprises program. What do you think about it? How valuable do you think it is compared to traditional learning? Does it prepare you for jobs post-MBA, and/or does it make a difference in getting a job (i.e. can you get a job through the connections that you get through the Enterprises program)?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Vargen wrote:
Thank you for your response, jksung5295.

It's certainly very informative to get to hear the insights of a current student.

I find it to be a little troublesome that (some) of the major companies in the Twin Cities don't hire international students, because they are the main drawing point of the area. You are probably right that this is true for several schools, and that international students generally have to work harder to find jobs after business school.

I would like to know more about the Enterprises program. What do you think about it? How valuable do you think it is compared to traditional learning? Does it prepare you for jobs post-MBA, and/or does it make a difference in getting a job (i.e. can you get a job through the connections that you get through the Enterprises program)?

I haven't actually "joined" my enterprise yet because we start out enterprises in the spring semester. However, I'm very excited to be joining the Consulting Enterprise in the spring and working on their projects. I have heard a lot of good things from alumni and second year students about the enterprise program and how valuable it was for them. You can also have the opportunity to select the project that you will work on so that also helps with finding the perfect project that fits your future goals. From what I heard and experienced, I strongly believe that enterprise will be tremendous help for my job search because I'm a non-traditional candidate that can fully utilize the knowledge and experience that I gain from the enterprise.
Due to the smaller nature of the program, you do have a very close and personal relationship with the many of the staff/faculty at Carlson and that could be a huge advantage to help you get a job. I have heard from some of the alumni that they were able to locate their jobs with the help from the enterprise directors.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
Thanks for that great post jksung. I think the enterprise program is a huge asset for Carlson - I was extremely impressed when I went to visit.

Does anyone know how decisions are announced for Carlson? Is it email, mail, or calls? Any chance we'll find out early?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
loismba wrote:
Thanks for that great post jksung. I think the enterprise program is a huge asset for Carlson - I was extremely impressed when I went to visit.

Does anyone know how decisions are announced for Carlson? Is it email, mail, or calls? Any chance we'll find out early?

I got my decision last year in the email first and then in the mail. However, i was located overseas so I was not given a phone call.

This year there was some talk about calling the admitted students but i'm not 100% certain.

For finding the result out early is unlikely from what the admissions told me but anything could happen
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
GMAT 1: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.1
WE:Business Development (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Got the call from Adcom this morning that I was admitted. They are supposedly only calling people who attended the Fall Preview Weekend in October. Official emails and packets are being sent next week.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Got the call today as well. Excited about the opportunity as Carlson has a fantastic program and the people are great. Long ways to go in my MBA decision process but I feel great about Carlson!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Congrats everyone! I got the call today too! It's a really impressive program, especially if you're planning to live in the cities. Very exciting!
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V40
Send PM
I got a call before Christmas. Did anyone else attend the Fall Preview in October? I enjoyed it.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
I got an email just after Christmas. Did anyone get any word on scholarship yet?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
obviouslynot wrote:
I got an email just after Christmas. Did anyone get any word on scholarship yet?

Scholarships come with the Welcome Packet in the mail. I'm anxious to find out myself; I hope the packet comes soon.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 620 Q42 V34
GMAT 2: 660 Q49 V31
GMAT 3: 710 Q49 V36
GPA: 2.79
WE:Supply Chain Management (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I attended Fall Preview weekend MattyV. It was definitely a good time. Well organized and informative. Great job by the admissions team.

When I spoke to admissions staff before Christmas, she said scholarship decisions have not been finalized yet and that we should receive this information when we get our admissions packet. Hope this helps!
Intern
Intern
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
jplw26 wrote:
I attended Fall Preview weekend MattyV. It was definitely a good time. Well organized and informative. Great job by the admissions team.

When I spoke to admissions staff before Christmas, she said scholarship decisions have not been finalized yet and that we should receive this information when we get our admissions packet. Hope this helps!

mattvs86 wrote:
Scholarships come with the Welcome Packet in the mail. I'm anxious to find out myself; I hope the packet comes soon.

I figured they may not be sent out till the Jan 15 hard deadline? I may reply to my email and ask, I'm anxious!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
jplw26 wrote:

Yes I thought so as well. I was curious if any posters here were at the same event I was.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I went to the fall preview event also! During my admissions call I asked when the packets would be mailed out - she thought they would be mailed sometime this week. I'm anxious to see mine too!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Human Resources, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q48 V38
Send PM
Has anyone received their admission packet with scholarship information yet? Hoping it comes soon!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
mochi17 wrote:
Has anyone received their admission packet with scholarship information yet? Hoping it comes soon!

Nothing yet, I'm guessing Monday or Tuesday.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   3   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts