Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 12:14 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 12:14

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Poor Qualityx      
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 761 [8]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 333 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
Concentration: Accounting
Schools:UT at Austin, Indiana State University, UC at Berkeley
 Q47  V34 GMAT 2: 660  Q46  V35 GMAT 3: 700  Q49  V36
GPA: 3.8
WE 1: 5.5
WE 2: 5.5
WE 3: 6.0
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
Schools:Boston College , U of Miami
Send PM
Re: Considerable efforts are required to prevent spam. During the early [#permalink]
I narrowed it down to A and B. and then went with B

i looked at A and was really drawn to the last part of it that stated ...'the conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.' the bolded part was at teh end of the paragraph so i was pretty confident that they just stuck a conclusion back there.

but then i looked at the front part of the answer. ...''background that the argument depends on..." , wow so this must be important stuff so much that the argument of the whole story depends on this nugget of information.

then i removed that information and just read the paragraph starting with 'currently' , after reading that you still get the gist that spamming is very annoying and its an ever increasing problem , and then the bold portion comes up and states , '' .... so regulations need to be implemented to stop this nonsense. '' the paragraph still made sense and the crucial background info in bold didnt seem so crucial. so i went with B.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 129 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: Considerable efforts are required to prevent spam. During the early [#permalink]
Yes this is like one of the draw the inference CR's wherein you have to extract the most supported point from the given passage. If you remove the last sentence(or second bold) and see it as a separate sentence which must be true based on the above stated sentences, then the B just clicks..

Neat trick though..There are so many ways to write a CR question:(
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 538 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Send PM
+1 for B.

Some very nice explanations on why B prevails over A.

Crick
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
B

Narrowed the contenders down to A and B as the second bolded statement proposes an action to be undertaken based on the evidence (premise) provided. Went with B as the first bolded statement is one of the premises (evidence) provided (and not a background ) to propose the action (conclusion/inference).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
gmat0404 wrote:
Why not E ??

Pre-evidence is the incorrect term. Should be Evidence.
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1547 [1]
Given Kudos: 44
Concentration: International Business, Marketing
GMAT Date: 06-06-2014
GPA: 3.07
Send PM
Kudos
gmatcracker2010 wrote:
28. Considerable efforts are required to prevent spam. During the early days of internet, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisements. However, currently numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. These email addresses are used by the Advertisers to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone gets junk email, and sometimes several and even tens of annoying emails a day. So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.
The two portions in boldface play which of the following roles?
A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.

Oa is

The difference between choice A and B is only in front boldface. "conclusion" can be consider the same as "inference"

Read through again. The first boldface is not the background. If it were the background, it should state the situation of current time, not past.

CAn somebody please explain above?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [0]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
when I see the main conclusion of bf question, I normaly get to the correct answer. but for some of questions, I do not see the main conclusion and is wrong.

where is the main conclusion in this one. ?
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30782 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Expert Reply
Dear Mr. Thang,

I am not sure what the source of this question is. However, this question definitely is not representative of a GMAT style question. Also choice B is correct. According to OG - in inference is an idea that is not explicitly stated in the passage but is implied by the author.

In the case above, the second bold face is a part of the passage and hence cannot be inferred from it.

Choice A Seems to be best choice of the lot.

Meanwhile, dont forget to attend the SC session on Saturday. Please find the link below:

Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 1519 [1]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
gmatcracker2010 wrote:
28. Considerable efforts are required to prevent spam. During the early days of internet, people seldom received unsolicited email advertisements. However, currently numerous bulk email software and email address finders are developed to collect email address all around the world. These email addresses are used by the Advertisers to market their products and even sell such email lists to other advertisers. As a result, almost everyone gets junk email, and sometimes several and even tens of annoying emails a day. So, relevant anti-spam regulations should be framed to stop unsolicited advertising.
A. Background that the argument depends on and conclusion that can be drawn from the argument.
B. Part of evidence that the argument includes, and inference that can be drawn from this passage.
C. Pre-evidence that the argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
D. Background that argument depends on and part of evidence that supports the conclusion.
E. Pre-evidence that argument includes and a method that helps to supports that conclusion.

Oa is

In my opinion none of the choices is correct. The second is not something that logically follows from the argument. This is because regulation is not the only way to stop unsolicited emails and in fact it may not even solve the problem. Thus it needs the assumption that only anti-spam regulations can stop unsolicited emails. Therefore choice A is wrong

Choice B is patently wrong because the second boldface is not an inference.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 174
WE:Other (Retail Banking)
Send PM
I think the correct answer choice is A. "inference" means that something should not be explicitly stated in the passage and we have to derive the idea. Since the second part of the bolded statement is clearly stated and it also has "conclusion indicator word" SO in front of it, i believe that part is the conclusion.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 125 [0]
Given Kudos: 113
Send PM
yes. the Outstanding options are A and E. I dont like the wording 'Pre-Evidence' and I am choosing option A.

I dont know why the answer is B. Any thoughts will be appreciated.

gmatcracker2010 wrote:

Oa is

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 90
Send PM
Can you please explain why option A is wrong?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 283
Send PM
gmatcracker2010 wrote:

Oa is

What is the source of this question?
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63657 [1]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Buttercup3 wrote:
What is the source of this question?

This seems to be a revised microedu.com practice test question. Not exactly household names in GMAT preparation, unfortunately.

You've probably all seen my usual warning several bazillion times: the GMAT spends between $1500 and $3000 developing every official GMAT question, and even the best test-prep companies can't compete with that. So please don't spend too much of your valuable study time on this one.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.

This Question is Locked Due to Poor Quality
Hi there,
The question you've reached has been archived due to not meeting our community quality standards. No more replies are possible here.
Looking for better-quality questions? Check out the 'Similar Questions' block below for a list of similar but high-quality questions.
Want to join other relevant Problem Solving discussions? Visit our Critical Reasoning (CR) Forum for the most recent and top-quality discussions.
Thank you for understanding, and happy exploring!
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6919 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts