Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:41 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:41

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [3]
Schools:Michigan Ross Class of 2013
Send PM
SVP
SVP
Status:<strong>Nothing comes easy: neither do I want.</strong>
Own Kudos [?]: 3594 [1]
Given Kudos: 235
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: ISB '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 670 Q49 V31
GMAT 2: 710 Q50 V35
Send PM
Re: Anderson vs. Ross [#permalink]
Kudos
tortoiserun wrote:
As a second-year Ross student who was also accepted at Anderson and is currently looking closely at her post B-school budget, I have to say that I disagree that you shouldn't factor the money into your decision. I'm not sure if your fellowship is for $40k total or $40k per year, but either way, it's a lot of money! If you were looking at two schools that had vastly different rankings or specialties, then I'd take a closer look at the ROI between the two, but those two schools are close enough in ranking and culture that I would give a serious edge to Anderson given the money. Really, the culture between any two top B-schools isn't that different at the end of the day. And while B-school is all about the experience, you'll have a great experience either place, and when you graduate and have bills to pay and financial goals to meet, you'll appreciate that money you saved! I love Ross, but if I was in your shoes, I'd pick Anderson. If you have any other questions about the two schools (I lived in LA when my best friend went to Anderson so I know a good bit about them as well), feel free to PM me.

I agree to you as you are the person who knows in and out of being a b school student. But I would still advice to go for the school that is important for your future aspirations. If your dream company does not recruit at A and you have to make a choice between A with $ and B then there is no point of going to A. We are already spending so much money and no salary for 2 years, so it is impractical to judge the school on fellowships as a general rule.

But in case both A and B are equally good for you, then going with fellowship is indeed a better option. Since UCLA and ROSS are both top schools there is no question of which is better, but the question is which is best for you.
I have not done r n d on ross yet but to me UCLA is a perfect fit so I didn't even bother to look around for other schools as I will join UCLA with or without fellowship and I can bet you financially I m no better than any student coming there. Once I m done with my UCLA app I will look around because I m already short of time.

To me selecting school is not less than selecting your soul mate, so the decision should be practical.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Thank you both for your perspectives! I welcome any more feedback and plan to make a decision by the end of the month. Just for clarification, the fellowship is $40K total (as opposed to $40K per year).
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
You may find this thread interesting:

ucla-anderson-vs-michigan-ross-both-without-money-145132.html?hilit=anderson

Ultimately, I agree with you. Anderson definitely seems like the best place for you given the money situation, your location preference, recruiting, and your goals. Have fun in LA! :)
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
I don’t think you should factor the scholarship into the consideration: 1) the amount is small in the long run, and 2) you also need to factor in total cost of attendance (I presume Ann Arbor is cheaper than LA).

For a post-MBA perspective, I would say UCLA is a better fit. You will have an easier time landing a job on the West Coast (where there’s a higher tech concentration) from UCLA than Michigan. While larger tech/mobile companies will recruit at both schools, the smaller ones may not. Furthermore, depending on economic conditions, HR is more likely to cut recruiting for a distant school than a local one (unless the distant school is a core school).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts