Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:26 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [3]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Concentration: Sustainability, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Sales (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
yizyang wrote:
How many R1 applicants have yet to hear anything from the admission office? No ding, no interview, no waitlist w/o interview, no nothing?

I'm in the same situation. I am based in Mexico...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q49 V46
GPA: 3.43
WE:Engineering (Aerospace and Defense)
Send PM
Does anyone have a sense, for MIT specifically, if the interview is sort of a "last check" and you enter with a relatively even playing field, or if it's another data point? I.e. an applicant that was rates higher when their application was read can get in with a weaker interview and those with weaker applications will need a stellar interview to overcome this deficiency?

I have read that the post-interview acceptance rate for MIT is rather high which may point to the former?

Thanks for the insight.

Posted from my mobile device
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
I've read that the interview is quite important. Also, it was mentioned in a recent Sloan chat that roughly 20% of applicants are interviewed and roughly 50% of interviewees are admitted.

Hope that helps.

Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Puyallup wrote:
Does anyone have a sense, for MIT specifically, if the interview is sort of a "last check" and you enter with a relatively even playing field, or if it's another data point? I.e. an applicant that was rates higher when their application was read can get in with a weaker interview and those with weaker applications will need a stellar interview to overcome this deficiency?

I have read that the post-interview acceptance rate for MIT is rather high which may point to the former?

Thanks for the insight.

They review your application in a holistic approach. The interview is just a piece of it.

Lets say they took 50% of interviewees. If you were there #1 candidate going into the interview, then performed just below average compared to all the candidates in the interview, you would still have a good chance of getting in based on your other credentials. If you were the lowest candidate they interviewed and you knocked the interview out of the park, you still may not get in based on your other credentials.

Im not sure the exact weighting they place on the interview. Maybe 25%, maybe 50, but the rest of your app still matters.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:

They review your application in a holistic approach. The interview is just a piece of it.

Exactly. Each and every school says that, and I tend to believe them.
The interview alone won't get you in or slam the door on you. I assume it can be a tie breaker, of you were a border line case, but in any other situation it probably just adds to the overall impression of you.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Puyallup wrote:

Thanks for the insight.

Lets say they took 50% of interviewees. If you were there #1 candidate going into the interview, then performed just below average compared to all the candidates in the interview, you would still have a good chance of getting in based on your other credentials. If you were the lowest candidate they interviewed and you knocked the interview out of the park, you still may not get in based on your other credentials.

Im not sure the exact weighting they place on the interview. Maybe 25%, maybe 50, but the rest of your app still matters.

Not quite sure if this is accurate for Sloan. Rod Garcia said in multiple interviews that once they complete the initial quantitative scoring of applicants, roughly the top 18% get interviews. Then they give a score for the interview, and the top 50% are then offered admission. So based upon that, it seems like Sloan, unlike other top schools, start "fresh" with their assessment of applicants once they make it to the interview.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
Dbalks wrote:
Puyallup wrote:

Thanks for the insight.

Not quite sure if this is accurate for Sloan. Rod Garcia said in multiple interviews that once they complete the initial quantitative scoring of applicants, roughly the top 18% get interviews. Then they give a score for the interview, and the top 50% are then offered admission. So based upon that, it seems like Sloan, unlike other top schools, start "fresh" with their assessment of applicants once they make it to the interview.

I would bet its top 50% combined application/interview score, not interview alone. I highly doubt it comes down to just the interview at that point.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Woo hoo! That's it! I am officially done with all MBA applications and interviews forever! 6 round one apps... I don't really recommend it, but so glad I got them all out of the way.

Plus I really enjoyed my Sloan interview (probably even more because I knew it was the last one!)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
scleraxis wrote:
I would bet its top 50% combined application/interview score, not interview alone. I highly doubt it comes down to just the interview at that point.

Right, I think the above poster had Rod Garcia interpreted correctly up until the end. They definitely grade your interview (as Rod stated), but then they add that back into your application score to give you a "total" final score. It is those final scores that they then take 50% (or whatever % of) as admitted and those who dont make the cut are out.

It is beautiful because it is mathematical. They can say 74 points gets in, 73 doesn't, like the cut at a golf tournament. So interview score does factor in, but they arent denying their best applicant (790 GMAT, 4.0 GPA, Tons of leadership qualities, non-profit chair positions, and 5 years working for the President) because that applicant spilled something on their tie at lunch and then got frazzled in the interview and just barely missed the 50% score on the interview. That would make zero sense. They are very rationale beings at MIT. Thats what I dig about them.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Send PM
anyone attending the chat session with adcom today? If so, can you share where they are in the round 1 process? maybe let us know sooner? Unfortunately, i cannot attend but any help would be so appreciated!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I cant imagine them finishing the process any sooner than they stated. This school really marches to the beat of its own drum. They dont care about where they fall in the rankings. If every other school in the world is asking about your Lt goals, why their school, and why MBA. They dont care if all other schools have 3-4 rounds. They dont care about if every other schools 1st round admittances all came one month ago.

My suspicion is the news of your acceptance/ding will come out at 5 pm on the dot, the day of the deadline. But just my suspicion, if anyone asks and hears differently let us know.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Hi,

Does anyone have ANY idea when do R2 interviews will start to go out?
And also, how much time after the R1 deadline do R1 interviews started to go out?
Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Hi, right now, I try to log in the online application, but it turned out "Your ID is invalid". Does anybody see this?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GPA: 3.02
Send PM
Thousands wrote:
Hi, right now, I try to log in the online application, but it turned out "Your ID is invalid". Does anybody see this?

My log-in worked fine. The status still says "submitted"
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
Peruvian2013 wrote:
Hi,

And also, how much time after the R1 deadline do R1 interviews started to go out?
Thanks!

For R1, the application deadline was oct 24th and the invites started going out around Dec 4th. I am not sure if they will stick to that timeframe since they typically get more applications in R2.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
ak2012 wrote:

For R1, the application deadline was oct 24th and the invites started going out around Dec 4th. I am not sure if they will stick to that timeframe since they typically get more applications in R2.

Just to note, this might be the year R1 swings to the more popular application round, if GMAT club is any indication. It is incredible to me the Rd 1 has 222 members on here and Rd 2 has 92. I realize some round 2's are still trickling in, but man thats a big difference. Picking a round to apply in at MIT is like picking a line at the bank. I always pick the wrong one.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
ak2012 wrote:
Peruvian2013 wrote:
Hi,

Thanks!

Thank you ak2012! Then I should sit down and wait... may the patience be with me! :-D
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  30   31   32   33   34   35   36  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts