Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 10:16 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 10:16

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [1]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hi Jimmy V,

I don't think you should worry too much about it. It is all about how to explain the situation, and explain what you've learned from the experience.

I think it shows initiative and drive to switch jobs, esp since that new job fit in with your post-MBA career goal.

It is understandable that sometimes bad things happen that are out of your control. You must have established a great reputation and maintained strong relationships at the i-bank to be able to go back. Focus on all these positive aspects when you tell your story.

I've been conducting alumni interviews for London Business School for the past ten years, and I would never view someone negatively for trying something new and not have it worked out. I would be interested in knowing what they've learned about themselves, environments needed for them to do their best work, what they've learned about their strengths and career interests, etc.

Good luck! And feel free to reach out if you are interested in pre-planning. We start advising applicants as early as possible to help substantially improve their profile for the top schools. clin@marveladmissions.com

Christine Lin
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

JimmyV wrote:
How do b-school admissions view work experience that includes returning to a previous employer prior to getting an MBA?

For example, I worked nearly 2 years for a top I-bank and then left to take a position in corporate development for a very well-known tech/media/telecom company (which is what I want to do post-MBA as well). Unfortunately I walked into a situation that quickly became very disappointing based on factors out of my control (without going into detail), so six months later I returned to the same I-bank. After a few years back in banking, I plan to attend business school, but I am concerned that this career discontinuity may be viewed negatively by admissions. I feel that the rest of my profile makes me competitive at most top schools, but this seems to be the one glaring issue. Is this a valid concern or something that I shouldn't be worried about?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Thanks for your feedback.

I have done some more research, this is what i come up with:

Short-term goal: Rotational Program in Retail Industry.
Reason: I am the general manager of a small retail chain (5 stores, with a dozen employees)

Interested job function: Vendor management or retail product management (can i do either/or? since they are similar functions)
Reason: I led the project to develop the merchandizing department in my company, building relationship with new vendors and increase the product variety. (will include this in one of the essays).

Does this look better?

thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.02
WE:Engineering (Other)
Send PM
This is my first post here but I've been reading for some time before I registered and it seems like a great place to get some advice! :)

Anyways, I went to a non-target public university and graduated with a BS Civil Engineering and second major in Economics in 2010 with a 3.02 GPA. Not that great, I know. Since then I've worked three different jobs, with my most recent being at a small (30-employees) manufacturing company as a mechanical engineer; I've been here for about a year. My head just hasn't been in it and I've finally realized that my passion really lies in finance, and so I am looking to make a transition right now over to finance. I'm taking the CFA L1 in June and taking some graduate level courses this semester to build an alternative transcript. I'm also participating in the local investment club that manages a real $50,000 portfolio and am participating in an Investment Banking M&A case competition.

Anyways, my issue is that the past few years of my life I wasn't really that motivated. I think this was because I have really bad ADHD and wasn't able to pay attention in a lecture setting, and only recently discovered that my preferred method of learning is by just sitting down and reading a book (I can get through 100 pages of a text in a sitting and retain everything pretty well). My lack of motivation was, I believe, based on my lack of interest in engineering. I was also pretty immature when it came to school, and so all three of these combined with me graduating with a 3.02 GPA, which isn't that great.

Now I'm much more mature, I am much more patient, have practical work experience and I'm just really motivated to do as well as I can. I'm regretting that this is all coming too late to get into a good business school in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I have excelled at every job I have held since graduating. But none of those jobs are at a well-known company and none of them involved official leadership positions.

My goal is to make a transition into finance, get a job either in banking or asset management at a good company and really work as hard as I possibly can while doing volunteer work (not just for grad school, I used to volunteer a lot and haven't in a while) for the next year or two, at which point I would be applying for grad school at the age of 27.

I don't know, maybe I just have the same reservations as everyone else. I'm told by many, though, that I don't have a chance simply because I can't compete with the quality of applicants that H/S/W receive, for example. Considering that I'm willing to work as hard as I can in the next few years to open this door, I really want to believe that is untrue. I don't want to simply make a "here's my CV, what are my chances" thread but I don't know what to do about this or who to talk to. It feels too early to speak with any kind of admissions consultants because they help with tailoring applications mostly as far as I know and not with long term positioning like what I'd want to do here.

I've read a lot of material on top MBA grad program admissions, and it seems possible if I can just spin this all positively, but also I've read a lot about the quality of applications they receive and just feel like it's hopeless.

How should I really be feeling here? Can I make up for my past apathy by my future endeavors? Is it even possible to achieve enough to put together a great application in just two years? Am I being unrealistic? Optimistic? Pessimistic?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

I would be happy to have a conversation with you regarding your strengths and what you are passionate about, and hopefully get more clarity around your short-term and long-term career goals.

Feel free to email me clin@marveladmissions.com w your resume, and we can schedule a time to talk.

Good luck!

Christine

zl2012 wrote:
Thanks for your feedback.

I have done some more research, this is what i come up with:

Short-term goal: Rotational Program in Retail Industry.
Reason: I am the general manager of a small retail chain (5 stores, with a dozen employees)

Interested job function: Vendor management or retail product management (can i do either/or? since they are similar functions)
Reason: I led the project to develop the merchandizing department in my company, building relationship with new vendors and increase the product variety. (will include this in one of the essays).

Does this look better?

thanks in advance!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Devon,

I definitely sense that you are highly motivated. Your GPA is a bit low, but not completely terrible. And it seems like you have some good reasons for the low GPAs that can be explained. There are many top business schools that can help you achieve your career goal besides W/S/H. I would not write you off just because you have a 3.0 GPA.

It is great that you are planning early for the application. We want to help applicants as early as possible so that we can make substantial impact on improving their candidacy. We work with people a year or two in advance of them actually applying to provide career coaching, leadership consulting, etc.

I find often with smaller companies, you may be able to get involved in a wider range of activities and learn more. The leadership capabilities top business schools are looking for aren't necessary official leadership titles, but understanding how you can influence and persuade others, getting support for your idea, etc.

Happy to talk to you further. Feel free to email me your resume, and we can schedule a time to chat.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

Devon wrote:
This is my first post here but I've been reading for some time before I registered and it seems like a great place to get some advice! :)

Anyways, I went to a non-target public university and graduated with a BS Civil Engineering and second major in Economics in 2010 with a 3.02 GPA. Not that great, I know. Since then I've worked three different jobs, with my most recent being at a small (30-employees) manufacturing company as a mechanical engineer; I've been here for about a year. My head just hasn't been in it and I've finally realized that my passion really lies in finance, and so I am looking to make a transition right now over to finance. I'm taking the CFA L1 in June and taking some graduate level courses this semester to build an alternative transcript. I'm also participating in the local investment club that manages a real $50,000 portfolio and am participating in an Investment Banking M&A case competition.

Anyways, my issue is that the past few years of my life I wasn't really that motivated. I think this was because I have really bad ADHD and wasn't able to pay attention in a lecture setting, and only recently discovered that my preferred method of learning is by just sitting down and reading a book (I can get through 100 pages of a text in a sitting and retain everything pretty well). My lack of motivation was, I believe, based on my lack of interest in engineering. I was also pretty immature when it came to school, and so all three of these combined with me graduating with a 3.02 GPA, which isn't that great.

Now I'm much more mature, I am much more patient, have practical work experience and I'm just really motivated to do as well as I can. I'm regretting that this is all coming too late to get into a good business school in the future.

Don't get me wrong, I have excelled at every job I have held since graduating. But none of those jobs are at a well-known company and none of them involved official leadership positions.

My goal is to make a transition into finance, get a job either in banking or asset management at a good company and really work as hard as I possibly can while doing volunteer work (not just for grad school, I used to volunteer a lot and haven't in a while) for the next year or two, at which point I would be applying for grad school at the age of 27.

I don't know, maybe I just have the same reservations as everyone else. I'm told by many, though, that I don't have a chance simply because I can't compete with the quality of applicants that H/S/W receive, for example. Considering that I'm willing to work as hard as I can in the next few years to open this door, I really want to believe that is untrue. I don't want to simply make a "here's my CV, what are my chances" thread but I don't know what to do about this or who to talk to. It feels too early to speak with any kind of admissions consultants because they help with tailoring applications mostly as far as I know and not with long term positioning like what I'd want to do here.

I've read a lot of material on top MBA grad program admissions, and it seems possible if I can just spin this all positively, but also I've read a lot about the quality of applications they receive and just feel like it's hopeless.

How should I really be feeling here? Can I make up for my past apathy by my future endeavors? Is it even possible to achieve enough to put together a great application in just two years? Am I being unrealistic? Optimistic? Pessimistic?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Operations, General Management
GMAT 1: 720 Q47 V42
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Many thanks for your responses, I'm pleased to say I have delayed my GMAT (which I will take on the 21st Jan) - depending on how well the exam goes I'll make a decision from there...

Thanks for your advice to you all.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Need your valuable comments for the given facts:

Want to apply for MBA in 2013, will give GMAT in Feb. I know I am quite late.

My profile:

Two Undergrad Degrees: Science – Math. / B.Sc. (Grade – B, Yr. 2003), Law / JD (Grade - A, top 1%, Yr. 2006) + Post grad diploma in Intellectual property rights (2007 - part time- GPA top 1%, A)

Masters in Corporate Law (LLM) (GPA – 2.80) (top 5 law schools in USA); including two full time MBA courses with top 10 B-Schools in USA (B)

Worked as
1) Lawyer – Asia (3 years 2006-09)
2) Claims analyst for 6 months project, Virginia, 2010.
3) VP (legal & investor relations) for a real estate firm in New York for 7 months, at the age of 29 – 2011
4) Now worked for one year as Deputy Manager (Compliance, policy analyst, risk management, negotiating international transactions etc. – directly reporting to tax risk leader – no one to supervise) with Big Four Firms in Asia, 2012 and quit the job in Dec. 2012 in order to give GMAT in Feb. 2013 and NY attorney Bar exams in July 2013.

Total – 6 years’ work ex.

Extra. Activities/ Honors:
1) The best scorer as a negotiator in law school class exercises, 2010
2) Sport scholarship in 1999 – long tennis
3) Most famous guy in law school due to my active Facebook forum, organized social activities, declined to fight in election to be a law school president.
4) Bro bono work - Free legal aid clinics, community work, created free information websites in 2006 for legal education and published more than 100 articles for law students.
5) Created and developed first customized integrated risk management and contract management system for one Big 4 firm in the world, 2012.
6) Script translator for video documentaries – Dell & Intel (USA)

Total experience: by 2013 - 6 years
Internships: more than 8 related to law and business in Asia & USA.

Facts:

1) Too late to apply for MBA in Top 100 US Schools as will give GMAT in Feb. 2013. Do i have options? Realistic score may be 500- 600 or may be 600+ if I get lucky, need to prepare for GMAT.

2) Just have $ 40,000 (Total for tuition fees and living, as I just have paid law school loan) in my pocket, seems quite late for Scholarship and do not want to take loan for MBA, can’t wait for next year as almost 31 years old. Seems too many constraints, and I do not want to take loan again. I know i have quite good chances to be in top 30 B-Schools if i can wait for a year and score good GMAT. Lowest rank B Schools may be the best options for this 2013 intake.

I would like to share my career goals and insights about MBA:

2) MBA is an investment for me. It will cost me between 2, 00,000 – 2-70,000 USD (two years fees and living (1, 20,000 USD in top B schools) + 2 years loss of earnings (1,00,000 – 1,50,000 USD)

In order to earn this amount, I need to work for three years after MBA (without having an bank balance) assuming I am earning 1, 20, 000 USD per annum. I have a experience as I did the same for my studies in at law school in USA ($ 70,000) for one year masters course and it took me almost 3 years to pay the loan. That means from today, MBA will cost 5 years of my life.

Therefore, I believe one year MBA or executive MBA program can be good options. But I am not aware of low cost one year MBA near to NYC. I prefer B-Schools close to NY state due to my work ex. In NY.

2) Time is again a valuable consideration. At the age of 31, if I think to wait for one year, to get good GMAT score and funds/ scholarships that means it will be August, 2014 intake and I will complete MBA in 2016 (at 34 year of age, as I am not married).

There is a possibility – Within 2013, I will become NY attorney and even land up with a job and convert my MBA to part time. Than I can easily finance and transfer my MBA to any University provided I take admission in low rank b-Schools this year. However, for this year, I will give GMAT in Feb. and I expect it to come between 500-600 or 600+ (assume). I have very few low fees B-Schools left in order to select due to the deadlines.

I may also consider spring intake in B-Schools as than I will have more funds and decent GMAT score. However, I heard that few top 100 B-Schools with low fees have spring intake and chances of getting scholarship is also low in comparison with spring intake. Further, I need to search for the good low fees b-schools which provides “spring intake” for international students. Spring intake will give me time to get good GMAT score. But is it worth to wait for entire year? As I don’t know how much I can improvise my GMAT score or will I get scholarship?

For me, MBA will provide me a stage for landing on top jobs (given the fact that I qualify to become a NY attorney + my experience in NY for one year as VP and experience in Big 4 firms in Asia will also help). On the other hand, waiting for one year for good b-School will be a definitive advantage alone. Will you think that waiting for 1.5 year for good B-School will be a good decision or I should pursue MBA from very low rank B-School this year?

I have the following issues:

1) I need to identify the best possible career tracks for me after MBA? I want a change as I have seen that what I will be after 20 years in my present job. But I believe unless you work in the field, you can not be sure that it is interesting. MBA will certainly provide me chance to study various subjects and interact with other business professionals. Issue is how will I show my future plans after MBA in SOP. Be true, running to become an investment banker or in PE Manager will not be a option if it is not interesting for someone like me. I intend to be truthful.

2) Is it worth to wait for 1.5 year for next fall intake for an MBA in my situation for top 30 B-Schools? I am aware of the value of top MBA for next 20 years from a good B-School. My point is that I have seen people from x B- School getting the jobs meant for top 10 B-School candidates.

3) How will I justify that I have quit my job as I need to prepare for GMAT and my NY Bar exam in July 2014. I am still involved in my community work during weekends. I also provides consultancy. However, i have changed 3 jobs in last 4 years???

4) What are my chances to get in top 30 B-School with my profile? Let’s assume if I will get 620 in Feb, 2012. I know it is tough as someone need 700+ to qualify so that your sop and cv will be reviewed/ considered.

5) What should be my theme for SOP, as I have rad many books on this? Which can be my biggest strength? I believe to be absolute true in sop be harmful as you need to show that you are different among others and the best. Your true narration, even how effective you write, may put you in general.

6) What should be the best options in the given facts as I need to decide when to apply for B Schools? I need a firm plan on it. The easiest option is to give GMAT in Feb and take any B School which may provide admission with lowest fees to save one year.

Thanks for your consideration.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Wow, this is quite a post!

Awesome you did well in Law School. I would think based on your educational background of having undergard degree in quant, and then law school, that you would do well on the GMAT.

Tough to do school selection w/out knowing your GMAT.

Seems like you're still unclear about your career goals after MBA. Given all the questions you have, I think it is best we have a chat if you are interested in getting admissions consulting help.

Please feel free to send me your info, and we can schedule a time to talk. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine Lin

niceman2006 wrote:
Need your valuable comments for the given facts:

Want to apply for MBA in 2013, will give GMAT in Feb. I know I am quite late.

My profile:

Two Undergrad Degrees: Science – Math. / B.Sc. (Grade – B, Yr. 2003), Law / JD (Grade - A, top 1%, Yr. 2006) + Post grad diploma in Intellectual property rights (2007 - part time- GPA top 1%, A)

Masters in Corporate Law (LLM) (GPA – 2.80) (top 5 law schools in USA); including two full time MBA courses with top 10 B-Schools in USA (B)

Worked as
1) Lawyer – Asia (3 years 2006-09)
2) Claims analyst for 6 months project, Virginia, 2010.
3) VP (legal & investor relations) for a real estate firm in New York for 7 months, at the age of 29 – 2011
4) Now worked for one year as Deputy Manager (Compliance, policy analyst, risk management, negotiating international transactions etc. – directly reporting to tax risk leader – no one to supervise) with Big Four Firms in Asia, 2012 and quit the job in Dec. 2012 in order to give GMAT in Feb. 2013 and NY attorney Bar exams in July 2013.

Total – 6 years’ work ex.

Extra. Activities/ Honors:
1) The best scorer as a negotiator in law school class exercises, 2010
2) Sport scholarship in 1999 – long tennis
3) Most famous guy in law school due to my active Facebook forum, organized social activities, declined to fight in election to be a law school president.
4) Bro bono work - Free legal aid clinics, community work, created free information websites in 2006 for legal education and published more than 100 articles for law students.
5) Created and developed first customized integrated risk management and contract management system for one Big 4 firm in the world, 2012.
6) Script translator for video documentaries – Dell & Intel (USA)

Total experience: by 2013 - 6 years
Internships: more than 8 related to law and business in Asia & USA.

Facts:

1) Too late to apply for MBA in Top 100 US Schools as will give GMAT in Feb. 2013. Do i have options? Realistic score may be 500- 600 or may be 600+ if I get lucky, need to prepare for GMAT.

2) Just have $ 40,000 (Total for tuition fees and living, as I just have paid law school loan) in my pocket, seems quite late for Scholarship and do not want to take loan for MBA, can’t wait for next year as almost 31 years old. Seems too many constraints, and I do not want to take loan again. I know i have quite good chances to be in top 30 B-Schools if i can wait for a year and score good GMAT. Lowest rank B Schools may be the best options for this 2013 intake.

I would like to share my career goals and insights about MBA:

2) MBA is an investment for me. It will cost me between 2, 00,000 – 2-70,000 USD (two years fees and living (1, 20,000 USD in top B schools) + 2 years loss of earnings (1,00,000 – 1,50,000 USD)

In order to earn this amount, I need to work for three years after MBA (without having an bank balance) assuming I am earning 1, 20, 000 USD per annum. I have a experience as I did the same for my studies in at law school in USA ($ 70,000) for one year masters course and it took me almost 3 years to pay the loan. That means from today, MBA will cost 5 years of my life.

Therefore, I believe one year MBA or executive MBA program can be good options. But I am not aware of low cost one year MBA near to NYC. I prefer B-Schools close to NY state due to my work ex. In NY.

2) Time is again a valuable consideration. At the age of 31, if I think to wait for one year, to get good GMAT score and funds/ scholarships that means it will be August, 2014 intake and I will complete MBA in 2016 (at 34 year of age, as I am not married).

There is a possibility – Within 2013, I will become NY attorney and even land up with a job and convert my MBA to part time. Than I can easily finance and transfer my MBA to any University provided I take admission in low rank b-Schools this year. However, for this year, I will give GMAT in Feb. and I expect it to come between 500-600 or 600+ (assume). I have very few low fees B-Schools left in order to select due to the deadlines.

I may also consider spring intake in B-Schools as than I will have more funds and decent GMAT score. However, I heard that few top 100 B-Schools with low fees have spring intake and chances of getting scholarship is also low in comparison with spring intake. Further, I need to search for the good low fees b-schools which provides “spring intake” for international students. Spring intake will give me time to get good GMAT score. But is it worth to wait for entire year? As I don’t know how much I can improvise my GMAT score or will I get scholarship?

For me, MBA will provide me a stage for landing on top jobs (given the fact that I qualify to become a NY attorney + my experience in NY for one year as VP and experience in Big 4 firms in Asia will also help). On the other hand, waiting for one year for good b-School will be a definitive advantage alone. Will you think that waiting for 1.5 year for good B-School will be a good decision or I should pursue MBA from very low rank B-School this year?

I have the following issues:

1) I need to identify the best possible career tracks for me after MBA? I want a change as I have seen that what I will be after 20 years in my present job. But I believe unless you work in the field, you can not be sure that it is interesting. MBA will certainly provide me chance to study various subjects and interact with other business professionals. Issue is how will I show my future plans after MBA in SOP. Be true, running to become an investment banker or in PE Manager will not be a option if it is not interesting for someone like me. I intend to be truthful.

2) Is it worth to wait for 1.5 year for next fall intake for an MBA in my situation for top 30 B-Schools? I am aware of the value of top MBA for next 20 years from a good B-School. My point is that I have seen people from x B- School getting the jobs meant for top 10 B-School candidates.

3) How will I justify that I have quit my job as I need to prepare for GMAT and my NY Bar exam in July 2014. I am still involved in my community work during weekends. I also provides consultancy. However, i have changed 3 jobs in last 4 years???

4) What are my chances to get in top 30 B-School with my profile? Let’s assume if I will get 620 in Feb, 2012. I know it is tough as someone need 700+ to qualify so that your sop and cv will be reviewed/ considered.

5) What should be my theme for SOP, as I have rad many books on this? Which can be my biggest strength? I believe to be absolute true in sop be harmful as you need to show that you are different among others and the best. Your true narration, even how effective you write, may put you in general.

6) What should be the best options in the given facts as I need to decide when to apply for B Schools? I need a firm plan on it. The easiest option is to give GMAT in Feb and take any B School which may provide admission with lowest fees to save one year.

Thanks for your consideration.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Everyone

My name is Daniel and I am a rising sophomore at USC. Currently I am in a dilemma right now because I am trying to decide whether I should major in accounting or Business Administration. If I major in accounting I believe that my GPA will be around 3.1-3.3 or if I major in business administration I would have around 3.5-3.7. Currently my dream school is Yale School of Management and I am already studying for the GMAT already at this time to achieve it. What do you guys think what I should major?

I think that I would be better off to major in business because of the higher GPA but I would look more diverse as an accounting major to an MBA admissions.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Daniel,

Having an accounting major would not seem more "unique" to MBA Admissions Committee and help differentiate you. Having quality work experience and interesting life experiences will make you a stronger candidate.

What would you like to do after college? If it is joining a big 4 public accounting firm, then perhaps majoring in accounting. But you would need to maintain high GPA. But you're not interested in public accounting, then business administration major would probably give you wider exposure of business issues.

Make sure you make good use of your time with extracurricular activities and internships, and of course study hard. I highly recommend you to take advantage of the exchange program, such as the one with HEC Paris School of Management. Great opportunity to be in a great Msc Management Program for a semester.

We provide pre-planning for people who are planning to get into a top business so that we can offer academic counseling, career coaching, and other advice to strength their profiles. Would be happy to talk to you if you are interested. Our consulting director is a graduate of Yale SOM, and has been an alumni interviewer for the school.

Please feel free to contact me at clin@marveladmissions.com

Good luck!

Christine Lin

mavenmammon wrote:
Hi, Everyone

My name is Daniel and I am a rising sophomore at USC. Currently I am in a dilemma right now because I am trying to decide whether I should major in accounting or Business Administration. If I major in accounting I believe that my GPA will be around 3.1-3.3 or if I major in business administration I would have around 3.5-3.7. Currently my dream school is Yale School of Management and I am already studying for the GMAT already at this time to achieve it. What do you guys think what I should major?

I think that I would be better off to major in business because of the higher GPA but I would look more diverse as an accounting major to an MBA admissions.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Christine

Thanks for replying back to me. My goal is to attend Yale one day and I will do unforgivable things to achieve my dreams. Currently I am trying to differentiate myself from everyone because I am an Asian American and I understand this will fire back at me then help me in the admissions in the future. As a result, I was wondering if joining a fraternity would be a right choice to differentiate myself from other Asian Americans.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: AGSM '16
GPA: 4
Send PM
hello!

I secured a 720(Q48 V41 AWA 6) in gmat. Now faced with the question - which schools am i looking at with this score and my profile!?

Profile:

male/23/ Indian

Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal Institute of Technology (among the top 15 colgs in India) - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude

Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.65/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)

GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA (6)

Work Ex: Consultant(Energy) in one of the Big 4 consulting firms from June 2012 (Planning to apply for Fall 2014 - clocking in a little over 2 years of work exp)
- Currently spearheading projects in the fields of public policy centred on energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Active in CSR activities as well as intra office activities

Projects:
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and sugestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of Masters thesis.

Extra Curriculars:
Positions of Responsibility:
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, etc.
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the

project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)

Sports:
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament

Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat?? I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or strategy.

Thanks!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 2 [0]
Send PM
Your profile seems impressive! are you applying R2?
Anyway, you can try this MBA chances calculator to get some indication: https://www.aringo.com/MBA_admission_cha ... ulator.htm
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

You are very accomplished. We should talk and get more clarity around your career goals in order to help with school selection. https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

Your years of works experience will be on the lower end of the range. You will have to demontrate maturity and leadership capability through work and extracurricular activities.

We start working with applicants as early as few years before they actually apply in order to provide career and leadership coaching to enhance their profiles. We would be happy to talk to you if you are interested. Please email me at clin@marveladmissions.com

Good luck!

Christine Lin

varunkbvp wrote:
hello!

I secured a 720(Q48 V41 AWA 6) in gmat. Now faced with the question - which schools am i looking at with this score and my profile!?

Profile:

male/23/ Indian

Undergrad: ( B. E. -Chemical Engineering) - from Manipal Institute of Technology (among the top 15 colgs in India) - 2010
- graduated summa cum laude

Masters: (M. Tech. - Energy Studies) - from IIT Delhi ( among the top 3 colgs in India) - 2012
- gpa of 8.65/10 ( among the top 5 on the class)

GMAT: 720 - Q48 (80th percentile) and V41(92nd percentile), AWA (6)

Work Ex: Consultant(Energy) in one of the Big 4 consulting firms from June 2012 (Planning to apply for Fall 2014 - clocking in a little over 2 years of work exp)
- Currently spearheading projects in the fields of public policy centred on energy efficiency and renewable energy
- Active in CSR activities as well as intra office activities

Projects:
- conducted an energy audit of a petroleum refinery for 6 months, the observations and sugestions of which resulted in significant savings for the refinery. (Undergrad project)
- developed a new diesel fuel (diesel microemulsion fuel) as a part of Masters thesis.

Extra Curriculars:
Positions of Responsibility:
- M. Tech. Representative in the Students Affairs Council during Graduation ( Masters program)
- Was the President of the Student Council during Under Grad. - work involved conducting fests, student welfare activites, community service activities, etc.
- Management Captain of a team that designed and built a baja to take part in the SAE (Society of Automotive Engineers) International Baja Competition 2009 (ranked 62nd out of 120). Work involved procuring funds for the

project, advertising, budgeting and a lot of co-ordinating with the colg authorities.
- Secretary of a National Technical Club (Indian Institute of Chemical Engineers)

Sports:
- a career in free style skating (1995 to 2004)- won national level prizes (gold - 11, silver - 8, bronze -6)
- badminton player - member of the colg team during Under Grad.
- Chess: ranked 16th in the state level open chess tournament

Could you pls give me an idea as to which schools could i consider "safe" or competitive or stretch with this profile and a 720 on the gmat?? I am very keen to pursue an mba in technology management or strategy.

Thanks!!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Kudos
Hi,

I'm not seeing how joining a fraternity itself would necessary differentiate yourself from other Asian Americans. It really depends on what you make of the experience. One of our pre-planning university clients joined a fraternity, took a leadership position as treasurer, and was able to generate a lot of money for the fraternity, and learned a lot from the experience. He ended up going to Columbia a few years later.

I recommend you take some time to reflect on what you are good at, what you are passionate about, and take up a part-time job or extracurricular activities that allow you to apply your skills and passion.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

mavenmammon wrote:
Hi, Christine

Thanks for replying back to me. My goal is to attend Yale one day and I will do unforgivable things to achieve my dreams. Currently I am trying to differentiate myself from everyone because I am an Asian American and I understand this will fire back at me then help me in the admissions in the future. As a result, I was wondering if joining a fraternity would be a right choice to differentiate myself from other Asian Americans.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [2]
GMAT Date: 01-20-2005
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Sumant,

The chances of admission in b-schools depend on few factors like your GMAT Scores, GPA, Work Experience, Acads & Extra-curricular. This covers not more than 35% on the entire b-school application. The most important in fact deciding factors are your application essays & interviews which covers 60% to 65% of the b-school application.

An avg. profile can make up by submitting skillfully written essays & working had during final interviews.

Wish you good luck.

Best,
AK
If you like the post, don’t hesitate to give KUDOS

sumantIBM wrote:
WHat are my chances to get into any top 10 b schools for MBA ?
my profile details :
currently age 23
working with IBM for 18 months planning for MBA after 2-3 years , by then it will be WE of 36 to 40 months at the time of applying to b schools
btech in engg - 3.4gpa
Gmat - not yet appeared

Please let me know my chances < realistic > or any useful suggestions on how to improve to reach the desired level.
please help me to figure this out.

Thanks and Regards,
Sumant
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Pete,

I think you are definitely competitive at H/S/W. One of our clients just got into Wharton w lower GMAT than yours. Brown undergrad w couple years of work experience in Asia.

You have great international work experience, and already progressed well in your career. The only thing I would caution you is to be really clear about your career goals, and why you want to get an MBA. The MBA has to help you get to your short-term career goal. If you can achieve your short-term career goal w out an MBA, then the investment doesn't make sense for you. You would also have to show that you can network and achieve your post-MBA career goal, since most of the on campus recruiting would probably not pay as well as what you are making now.

https://marveladmissions.com/the-power-i ... eer-goals/

I would love to work with you if you are interested in getting admissions consulting help.

Good luck!

Christine Lin

REPEchampion wrote:
Dear All,

I'd appreciate it if you gave me your oppinion on admissions prospects for top schools when I apply this year. My profile is as follows:

White/USA Citizen/Male/29

-3.5 GPA in English & Chinese language from Brown (andover/deerfield/etc. for HS)
-720 GMAT
-6 months at top real estate developer in London (Tishman Speyer, etc.)
-3.5 years at a small/growing private equity real estate firm in Shanghai (small, but the leadership is from top firms including goldman, etc.)
-2.0 years (at appliucation, 2.5+ years at matriculatioon) in asia real estate investments at top middle-east sovereign wealth fund, based in ME, but traveling regularly to asian markets including china/korea/japan and australia
-fluent in mandarin and conversational in cantonese chinese
-extra curriculars: weak point. an athlete, but didn't play for brown, just club/intermural, and not much charity/club work
-pay: high, even by industry standards (300+ all cash, roughly 200 guaranteed)
-recs outlook: exceptionally good (big shot financiers who i worked closely and consider me like a nephew)

General summary: highly international, great work experience, languages, but very bad EC and only "okay" academics/tests (though I am ivy)

trying to get in at H/S/W and "backup" at Columbia, Booth, NW, MIT

Thanks,

Pete
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15