Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 10:56 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 10:56

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 52 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 107
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Waitlisted Applicants [#permalink]
highwyre237 wrote:
lb2015 wrote:
Just got the waitlist email. I guess I am bummed, but I am still deciding whether or not to stay on the list.

My first inclination was that I must have done something wrong in my application since my GPA and GMAT are decent (and I am a female, not that it makes it a guarantee at all but my understanding is that sometimes standards are a bit different). I really spent a lot of time and effort on my essays, visited the school twice, not sure what to think. I also thought maybe it was something my recommenders said...but then I got into Darden using the same recommenders so they couldn't have said anything too horrendous.

I will say that while I showed enthusiasm in my essays and interview and gave specific reasons for wanting to go to Fuqua (specific clubs/classes, etc I would contribute to), I never once said Fuqua was my top choice. To be honest, it isn't and I didn't want to be dishonest. I also listed all the schools I applied to in their application, again wanting to be honest. Maybe that was a bad call. Would they really put me on the waitlist because they weren't sure I'd attend?

I guess the yield management theory makes sense, but I also think it's important to take a critical look at what I might have messed up, too. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself.

Any ideas on this? And also--I don't want to potentially take a spot away from another applicant--but it would also be nice to have a choice to compare Darden to in the event that I do not get into my other schools. Does it make sense to stay on the waitlist if I am not absolutely sure I would attend?

After my Johnson interview... I can say it was 100% my interview that got me on the WL... Although I showed my enthusiasm.. I just dont think I conveyed the legacy I would leave on the community, and stumbled pretty badly on that question. So, I'm assuming I only had a so/so evaluation from my interviewer.

I'm in a similar spot decision-wise too. Although I think I'd decide to attend, I'm not 100% sure. Its your choice to stay on or not though, I wouldnt feel bad about taking spots away...

Yeah I feel you...there was one question I stumbled on as well about the three reasons I should be admitted to Fuqua that caught me off guard. I wish I knew if that was it, though!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
BarberWB wrote:
Approximately what time have people been receiving e-mails? Do you think all the R1 decisions have been sent out via e-mail?

I got mine at 3:46. Make sure to close out of your browser and reopen because otherwise the new status might not be included. Good luck!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:
Just got the waitlist email. I guess I am bummed, but I am still deciding whether or not to stay on the list.

My first inclination was that I must have done something wrong in my application since my GPA and GMAT are decent (and I am a female, not that it makes it a guarantee at all but my understanding is that sometimes standards are a bit different). I really spent a lot of time and effort on my essays, visited the school twice, not sure what to think. I also thought maybe it was something my recommenders said...but then I got into Darden using the same recommenders so they couldn't have said anything too horrendous.

I will say that while I showed enthusiasm in my essays and interview and gave specific reasons for wanting to go to Fuqua (specific clubs/classes, etc I would contribute to), I never once said Fuqua was my top choice. To be honest, it isn't and I didn't want to be dishonest. I also listed all the schools I applied to in their application, again wanting to be honest. Maybe that was a bad call. Would they really put me on the waitlist because they weren't sure I'd attend?

I guess the yield management theory makes sense, but I also think it's important to take a critical look at what I might have messed up, too. Maybe I'm being too hard on myself.

Any ideas on this? And also--I don't want to potentially take a spot away from another applicant--but it would also be nice to have a choice to compare Darden to in the event that I do not get into my other schools. Does it make sense to stay on the waitlist if I am not absolutely sure I would attend?

I wouldn't worry about taking the spot of another applicant. If you are still interested in Fuqua, you probably should join the wait list. Best of luck with your decisions.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
Send PM
OjilEye wrote:
Call me the Waitlist King. Feel free to add me to the Fuqua WL List.

Haha I'm in the same boat (or castle) as you! I batted .667 for wait lists in R1. Boo!

And now I'm beginning to wonder if doing the voluntary interview prior to completing my Duke app was the best idea. I definitely wasn't as prepared for the interview as I would have been had I conducted one after submitting my app. Oh well no point in thinking about that now...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:

Dear lb0215, first of all, congrats for you to get the Darden offer. And please DO LEAVE your seat to others who has not yet got any approval. As you said, you already had the decision. It's a waste and energy-cost for you to keep on the waitlist in the school which you are not so sure to attend.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [3]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Good luck with this year's WL everyone. I've received lots of questions asking about what process I went through last year, so I attached a flowchart to the first post in this thread. I hope my elementary PPT skills help someone!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
For those of you who have submitted the form to remain active on the waitlist, did you receive an email confirmation, or a status change in your application? I want to make sure the form went through, but also do not want to submit it multiple times...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
For those of you who have submitted the form to remain active on the waitlist, did you receive an email confirmation, or a status change in your application? I want to make sure the form went through, but also do not want to submit it multiple times...

I did not get a confirmation email, but there was a confirmation page. I think if you got to the Qualtrics page at the end you should be fine. Are you planning to send an update to the waitlist email soon? If so, that'll be a good reinforcement just in case.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V39
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Yep no confirmation email for me either, but this looked very much like a survey monkey type form where there is no response.
Also add me to the waitlist list!
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 765 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2012
Send PM
lb2015 wrote:

You are in a good position right now, with an offer from UVa. It is very noble of your to think about other applicants. However, you shouldn’t worry about other applicants. You would only take away a spot if Fuqua gave you an offer, and you turn it down.

The question you should consider is, “if I get an offer from UVa and Fuqua, would I consider taking Fuqua’s offer?” If the answer is “yes”, then stay on the waitlist.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [0]
Send PM
asimov wrote:
lb2015 wrote:

You are in a good position right now, with an offer from UVa. It is very noble of your to think about other applicants. However, you shouldn’t worry about other applicants. You would only take away a spot if Fuqua gave you an offer, and you turn it down.

The question you should consider is, “if I get an offer from UVa and Fuqua, would I consider taking Fuqua’s offer?” If the answer is “yes”, then stay on the waitlist.

Agreed. The only reason you should not stay on is if there is a zero chance you would accept an offer... Even then, if you decline an offer, it will be redistributed the next round... So, there's nothing to feel bad about at all.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hi, Im new on the waitlist, applied R1. Just wondering if anyone receive a confirmation email that they are on the waitlist after submitting the survey-looking form?

Just want to confirm that my form is submitted (also given a deadline of Jan. 22nd to reply). Thanks a bunch!!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Last year I didn't I get a confirmation like that until about 2 weeks from the decision date. I think adcom waits until after the deadline they give out to confirm with everyone -- check back around the 22nd!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V38
GPA: 3.81
WE:Medicine and Health (Health Care)
Send PM
aerien wrote:
Last year I didn't I get a confirmation like that until about 2 weeks from the decision date. I think adcom waits until after the deadline they give out to confirm with everyone -- check back around the 22nd!

What he said. The deadline to confirm on the waitlist is the 22nd, so I wouldn't expect a confirmation until then.

I sent in an update to my file and got an incredibly kind letter from someone at adcom replying to it. I think they know they'll be plucking some of us off the waiver wire, I mean waitlist.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Thanks krudget and aerien for your replies! I guess I'll just wait till the 22nd then for the confirmation (dont want to be haunting the adcom with repeated submission of my waitlist form) =)))

Did anyone of you also write to inform your interviewer that you are waitlisted? I am thinking if its right to do so, or would it look bad on me if I did or am I actually expected to do so? any thoughts/comments..?? thanks again
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
heyuqing wrote:
Thanks krudget and aerien for your replies! I guess I'll just wait till the 22nd then for the confirmation (dont want to be haunting the adcom with repeated submission of my waitlist form) =)))

Did anyone of you also write to inform your interviewer that you are waitlisted? I am thinking if its right to do so, or would it look bad on me if I did or am I actually expected to do so? any thoughts/comments..?? thanks again

I have been on wait-list since EA round. After filling the form/survey, I did not receive any confirmation on wait list...however I am sure that I have not been removed from the waitlist since I keep sending them updates and always receive a response/confirmation that they have incorporated the new info in my application
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
heyuqing wrote:

I reached out to my interviewer when I was WL'd just to let them know. I do not think student interviewers have any sway in the admissions process at this point. They already submitted their feedback about you (good or bad) to the adcom, and the adcom made a decision to put you on the WL.

However, if you do let your interviewer know you are WL'd, they might be able to offer some advice or put you in touch with current students who were WL'd before. Those students could tell you about their WL experiences and you could find out if they did anything that helped them get their admit.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  31   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts