Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 15:51 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 15:51

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Admissionado
Own Kudos [?]: 2061 [0]
Given Kudos: 69
Schools:Brown University, Harvard Business School
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Oxford (Said) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
More people are introducing themselves in the Google group who are to yet to even complete an undergraduate degree. The most recent one has 1 summer internship of work experience. Period.

My intention with these posts are not to rant about anyone in particular, but I was VERY close to enrolling at Oxford and I would have felt very disappointed about getting there and then having in my group people with nearly zero business experience. Sure, they would have been "mature" and smart, but there are many more things that only come with actually working.

Anyway, since I am not accepting Oxford's offer I could have just ignored this, but I felt it would have been unethical of my part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Technology, Strategy
GPA: 3.82
Send PM
JonAdmissionado wrote:
Round 3 is Round three, and the intake schedules are pretty much similar. So I'd suggest only applying if you are pretty obviously a strong candidate. Otherwise, don't hurt to wait a bit does it??

Thanks Jon, but can you elaborate why do you say that .. is it coz no. of seats left after two round are very less... or is it coz quality of candidates in R3 is generally elevated... ofcourse in case of Said $$ and collage choice is affected which can be explained.. but I still do not get the reason behind why R3 is more compittitive that both the previous rounds?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
More people are introducing themselves in the Google group who are to yet to even complete an undergraduate degree. The most recent one has 1 summer internship of work experience. Period.

My intention with these posts are not to rant about anyone in particular, but I was VERY close to enrolling at Oxford and I would have felt very disappointed about getting there and then having in my group people with nearly zero business experience. Sure, they would have been "mature" and smart, but there are many more things that only come with actually working.

Anyway, since I am not accepting Oxford's offer I could have just ignored this, but I felt it would have been unethical of my part.

As yet another candidate who almost matriculated at Oxford, I have some interest in the topic :-D . It's clear that the school does accept some undergraduate applicants for the 1+1 and what not... could it be that they just all seem to be introducing themselves at the same time? I mean, we know that the average age is 29 so those cases you mention are clearly the minority unless Said is also accepting a lot of 40 yr olds, which I seriously doubt. Probably just a case of small and therefore not representative sample size?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Leftcoastguy wrote:
As yet another candidate who almost matriculated at Oxford, I have some interest in the topic :-D . It's clear that the school does accept some undergraduate applicants for the 1+1 and what not... could it be that they just all seem to be introducing themselves at the same time? I mean, we know that the average age is 29 so those cases you mention are clearly the minority unless Said is also accepting a lot of 40 yr olds, which I seriously doubt. Probably just a case of small and therefore not representative sample size?

Hi there!

All 1+1 candidates should in theory fulfill entry requirements for both programmes. IMO 6 months of work experience does not pass the smell test :(

Regardless, I think that among those that introduced themselves about 7% explicitly say they are still undergraduates. Most others just say where they are from, so this ratio could still be higher.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
I see. And roughly how many people have introduced themselves in total?

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
Leftcoastguy wrote:

Hi there!

All 1+1 candidates should in theory fulfill entry requirements for both programmes. IMO 6 months of work experience does not pass the smell test :(

Regardless, I think that among those that introduced themselves about 7% explicitly say they are still undergraduates. Most others just say where they are from, so this ratio could still be higher.

I do recruit a lot of fresh graduates and interns for my group. I have seen very few extraordinary fresh grads but what I can definitely tell that, it was discovered only after 3 to 6 months of close interaction.

It is atleast beyond my little capability to identify those extraordinary in few hours talk with even 50% probability. In few hours, I can find out that the candidate is good but I can not say for certain that the candidate is extraordinary. By the way, many scholars failed in our organisation and many diploma people excelled.

There are too many people who 'just talks' and 2 hours or so is too little time to verify the substance or authenticity. If I claim I handle 40mil funds, it is not easy to verify that.

By the way, I even think the 3 years minimum experience is too little to really "experience" management. To really be able to appreciate the bigger picture, the bigger issues, you need atleast 5-8 years of hands-on REAL experience, not IT or Accountancy ... people management for everything, from procurement to legal issue to Government permit.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Leftcoastguy wrote:
I see. And roughly how many people have introduced themselves in total?

Posted from my mobile device

About 65. At least 5 are undergrads.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 20
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:

quick question: how many of these 65 who introduced and the 5 undergards in particular do you think are in a situation similar to you... i.e. not going to accept the offer :)

i guess there are a lot of unknowns here!

btw I have 8 yrs work ex... do plan to accept the offer... but have not yet joined the group! there could be more like me as well :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Agree.
I myself still have to join that group...(don't have a gmail ID with my own name. I'll be creating soon to join that group. bananapeel is not a good id to join that group :P).
The best choice would be to post that question in google group to get the "first hand" feedback. In the meantimes, someone else can post this question on Google group.
My speculative answer would be that these relatively inexperienced guys/girls are from either MFE or MBA 1+1. This speculated answer is based on the CVs of MFE and MBA students available on SBS intranet site under CV link. I really doubt Oxford will jeopardize its reputation with such an act unless these students are really exceptional . I think the intranet site is same for all SBS students (MBA, MBA 1+1, MFE) as I've seen suggested reading for MFE students. May be I'll join that group and confirm their course of study to clarify.

In any case, this would not change my decision to join SBS.

hi0parag wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

quick question: how many of these 65 who introduced and the 5 undergards in particular do you think are in a situation similar to you... i.e. not going to accept the offer :)

btw I have 8 yrs work ex... do plan to accept the offer... but have not yet joined the group! there could be more like me as well :)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
My speculation was correct. I asked one of the person on the google group who has not finished his undergrad. (S)he got the admission in MFE and not MBA. I was also correct on the assumption that the the google group is shared by all students i.e MBA, MBA 1+1and MFE. Over next months, we'll see more and more of such cases. I hope this will clarify.

In my professional career, I learned a valuable lesson. Assumption is mother of all f@#k ups. So when in doubt, just ask.

bananapeelxyz wrote:
Agree.
I myself still have to join that group...(don't have a gmail ID with my own name. I'll be creating soon to join that group. bananapeel is not a good id to join that group :P).
The best choice would be to post that question in google group to get the "first hand" feedback. In the meantimes, someone else can post this question on Google group.
My speculative answer would be that these relatively inexperienced guys/girls are from either MFE or MBA 1+1. This speculated answer is based on the CVs of MFE and MBA students available on SBS intranet site under CV link. I really doubt Oxford will jeopardize its reputation with such an act unless these students are really exceptional . I think the intranet site is same for all SBS students (MBA, MBA 1+1, MFE) as I've seen suggested reading for MFE students. May be I'll join that group and confirm their course of study to clarify.

In any case, this would not change my decision to join SBS.

hi0parag wrote:
Ducksworth wrote:

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
All Bay Area Applicants!! We are hosting an event tomorrow in San Francisco for prospective MBAs to meet and talk with past Oxford MBAs. This is a great event if you are considering applying, or already accepted and still deciding if Oxford is the right school for you. Please PM me directly if you want to attend!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
SaidAlum wrote:
All Bay Area Applicants!! We are hosting an event tomorrow in San Francisco for prospective MBAs to meet and talk with past Oxford MBAs. This is a great event if you are considering applying, or already accepted and still deciding if Oxford is the right school for you. Please PM me directly if you want to attend!

Great to see in action. This is what makes the school apart from the rest.

I hope someone does the same at other side of the globe!! Never mind, we will do it next to text year!!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
That topic was quite interesting and it made me read follow ups.
@Ducksworth: Now you know those yet to complete undergrads are from MFE and not MBA, what is your opinion now?

From your posts, I can see you've gotten admission in INSEAD. Congratulations :)
I think you have also read INSEAD FAQ about experience requirements.
You can also have a look at INSEAD career report. 8% of class has experience of 1-2 years. Now you mentioned, "I am a bit disappointed that Saïd accepts students with such little experience. Doing an MBA is a great opportunity to learn from professors but even more from other students". What do you think about this. Are you disappointed with INSEAD also?

Now as one who deals with INSEAD MBAs, both fresh from the oven and stale breads, on daily basis, let me ask a question. Do you really know what INSEAD will have in a batch of 1000?
Let me enlighten you. I've worked INSEAD MBAs whose pre-MBA experience was a few months. Mostly these MBAs would be from certain gender and from two Mediterranean countries who are overrepresented in INSEAD with respect to their overall population. Everyone knows it. Go figure.

Btw I don't have anything to do with INSEAD or Oxford. I found this post little odd and made me wonder about the analysis skills of prospective MBA pool.

Ducksworth wrote:

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
gmatmbatroll wrote:
@Ducksworth:
Let me enlighten you.

:shock:
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
:)
I'm also :shock: if you knew it but did not ask at other school forum
I'll be :shock: :shock: :shock: if you didn't even know that.
Ducksworth wrote:
gmatmbatroll wrote:
@Ducksworth:
Let me enlighten you.

:shock:
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Said (M)
GMAT 1: 660 Q50 V30
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Dear R1ers,

One week to go before R2 interview calls would be sent; anxiety creeping in..
Pardon me if this question has already been answered:
Why is one required to send ones' original transcript or an attested copy to Said, If one is invited to the interview?
The final decisions would still be pending..
just curious..

Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: Healthcare, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V41
Send PM
@kaushinside

R2 applicant here in a similar dilemma. Wondering whether we can wait until the calls are out on Feb1 and then send in the transcripts.

I hold an indian undergraduate degree and a masters in the US. I can manage my masters transcript but the undergraduate transcripts involve a fair bit of running around. Confused!

Also, any idea when we can expect to hear from Cambridge?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  8   9   10   11   12   13   14  ...  22   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts