Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 14:13 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 14:13

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Difficulty: Sub 505 Levelx   Comparisonsx   Verb Tense/Formx                        
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 891 [40]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Strategy - Finance
 Q49  V36
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 837 [18]
Given Kudos: 2
GRE 1: Q800 V800

Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [11]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 760 Q48 V45
GPA: 3.71
Send PM
General Discussion
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [10]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

(A) double the apples that it has
(B) twice as many apples as it did
(C) as much as twice the apples it has
(D) two times as many apples as there were
(E) a doubling of the apples that it did

A. Too many wrong stuffs going on. Double could be associated with a number or a figure but not apples. Also "has" is incorrect. the verb needs to be parallel with the past tense of produced. So "has" doesnt do it. we need "did" This is often tested on the GMAT. An analogy could be:
I scored less than I had in the last exam. NOT CORRECT
I scored less than I did in the last exam. CORRECT
C. as much as cannot denote quantity. "much" denotes items that are not quantifiable.
D. Same problem as A. we need "did" not "were". Also two times as many is wordy.
E. Acreage cannot produce a doubling. It can produce double the number of apples.

B. CORRECT
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Affiliations: SAE
Own Kudos [?]: 961 [1]
Given Kudos: 269
Concentration: Strategy, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V37
GPA: 3.5
WE:Project Management (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same [#permalink]
Kudos
On hindsight the answer seems to be B.

The concept to learn here is the difference between Twice and Double

Searched all over the net, but found contradicting answers. Can someone throw some light on the same. :roll:
Alum
Own Kudos [?]: 51447 [4]
Given Kudos: 2326
Concentration: Leadership, General Management
Schools: Ross '20 (M)
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GMAT 2: 740 Q49 V42 (Online)
GMAT 3: 760 Q50 V42 (Online)
GPA: 3.8
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
souvik101990 wrote:
Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

A. Too many wrong stuffs going on. Double could be associated with a number or a figure but not apples. Also "has" is incorrect. the verb needs to be parallel with the past tense of produced. So "has" doesnt do it. we need "did" This is often tested on the GMAT. An analogy could be:
I scored less than I had in the last exam. NOT CORRECT
I scored less than I did in the last exam. CORRECT
C. as much as cannot denote quantity. "much" denotes items that are not quantifiable. Also we need "did"
D. Same problem as A. we need "did" not "were". Also two times as many is wordy.
E. Acreage cannot produce a doubling. It can produce double the number of apples.

B. CORRECT
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [3]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks

OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe sthis mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
tcsing wrote:

OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe this mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Construction with "double as many apples as" or "double the apples" is incorrect here, but "double the number of apples" is appropriate. If you want to use double in the choice, then following construction could be grammatically correct (but wordier than choice-B):
--The same amount of acreage produces double the the number of apples that it did in 1910

Also, use "twice as MANY <noun> as" -> for countable nouns
Use "twice as MUCH <noun> as" -> for un-countable nouns
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Send PM
PraPon wrote:
tcsing wrote:

OG13 Q125. I have a query regarding 1 of the OG explanations. For Option A, the oG says "the comparative construction as many as is needed." Doe this mean that if the tense was correct (had/did), double the apples would still be wrong? To change it to include as many as, would it be double as many apples as it had/ did?

Construction with "double as many apples as" or "double the apples" is incorrect here, but "double the number of apples" is appropriate. If you want to use double in the choice, then following construction could be grammatically correct (but wordier than choice-B):
--The same amount of acreage produces double the the number of apples that it did in 1910

Thanks! :) So to confirm, we can only double a number of x, not double x (x=noun) right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [1]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Kudos
tcsing wrote:
PraPon wrote:
tcsing wrote:

Thanks! :) So to confirm, we can only double a number of x, not double x (x=noun) right?

Yes as its also ambiguous in meaning. Double the apple could also mean double the apple's size.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Send PM
[quote="Mishari"]Today, because of improvements in agricultural technology, the same amount of acreage produces double the apples that it has in 1910.

I have a doubt , I studied in e-gmat session on sentence structure that each sentence must have at least one independent clause. But In this sentence , because- dependent clause marker and that-dependent clause marker,so where is the independent clause ? Is there something wrong in my understanding.
e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30775 [7]
Given Kudos: 632
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Kudos