Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 09:28 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 09:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Technology
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
GMAT Date: 01-20-2005
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Strategy, Organizational Behavior
Schools: London Business School (LBS) - Class of 2002
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Re: Ask Marvel Admissions [#permalink]
Hi,

You sound like someone who is hard working and motivated. I think you can work on applying Round 3, since you've already taken the GMAT.

I would advice you on how to tell your story in the applications carefully. It seems to me that you wished you had more "corporate" experience. You may actually have had the opportunity to see how a business is run and got a wider range of exposure because you joined a small organization, so I would not discount your experience. Many people with fancy corporate titles don't end up doing/learning a lot. I had one of those jobs coming out of college.

I would be happy to talk to you if you are interested in getting some career guidance and assistance with the business school applications. Feel free to send me your info, and we can have a chat. https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Good luck!

Christine

vadya0104 wrote:
Hi everyone,

I really need someone's opinion on whether it is the right time in my life/career to go for an MBA.

Here is my story:

I'm a 26-year-old male, non-native English speaker from Eastern Europe. I came to the United States at the age of 20 and it took me 4 years to complete my bachelor's in the US (I already had 3 years of the university in Europe under my belt but had to start all-over again here). I graduated from San Francisco State University in 2011 with a BS in Business Administration with Marketing concentration. GPA 3.85, Magna Cum Laude, top 5% of my class. While in school was a VP of Marketing at a student club, worked full-time, did some volunteer work at Upwardly Global (helps newcomers adapt to American business culture/teaches career skills, etc).

2 months before graduation I accepted an Assistant Operations Manager position with a local transportation/parking company. While it was not exactly a "dream job", a full-time job offer 2 months before graduation was viewed by me as a good option compared to the uncertainty of looking for a better (more corporate, with more potential - this is how I think about it now) job. My major functions in the job were HR, recruiting, operations, inside sales, and some business development.

However, I always felt that I want to do something different....but was not sure how to get there. I did some attempts in searching for jobs, but didn't find anything that I thought could lead to a career. Had few interviews at recruiting companies (thought it was a good idea to utilize my HR experience), but none of them lead to an offer...At the end of my first year with the company (9 months after graduation) I started thinking about the possibility of getting an MBA. Why MBA? I thought it could lead me to where I wanted to be in terms of a career progression which at that point meant (and still means now) finding an entry-level position at a global company where I can utilize my international background and knowledge of the foreign language. At that point I did just minor research on MBA candidate requirements, and decided to start GMAT preparation.

Official GMAT test scores:
1) June 2012: 570
2) November 2012: 600
3) December 2012: 640

After 1.5 years with the company (in October 2012) I was promoted to the Operations Manager of a large account at Stanford Hospital, managing 35 employees, salaried position, etc...However, the company is small and this is the highest I can be promoted to (unless the owner/president vacates his position:)

Here is the most important part:

I don't mind operations, I just don't want to stay with my current company/industry. I will be 27 in less than 3 months and I feel the clock is ticking every day...I feel like I'm in the dead-end job and hope that MBA enrollment can at least give me a chance to start everything all over again. As you know, most corporate jobs' recruiting is very structured, and I feel like I missed the train after my undergrad...I realized it lately when I almost made it to JP Morgan Chase's Credit Underwriter Program but was rejected last minute because the program was designed only for this year's college graduates.

After a thorough research I realize that I don't have the experience nor GMAT score required to get into a top 20 school (and yes, I have read tons of forums where people suggest not to waste time/money on less prestigious programs). But at the same time I don't have a luxury of time because I got my bachelor's at the age when some people already start thinking about their MBA having some solid experience. My MBA goal is not to lend a 100K/year job; 65-75K would be enough to start with. I just want to get a job in the industry/company (marketing/operations, may be some corporate finance) where I can grow, I guess a rotational program could be a great start.

I also consider other options, such as getting a specialized master, a certificate, or quitting my job and start looking for an entry-level internship (which are primarily reserved to matriculated students) . But at this time I need to decide on whether to go forward with MBA applications for Fall 2013.

Again, my goal for an MBA is to re-brand and give my-self another chance landing a job in a more corporate environment with potential for growth. Preferably, I would like to do an MBA in New York, as I have always wanted to try to live there at least for a couple of years).

My target schools are:

1) NYU - yes, because it's in New York. Small chances to get in, but want to give it a shot in Round 3.
2) Zicklin School of Business in NYC, seems like a good deal @ $50,000 for an entire program.
3) Boston College/Boston University - my GMAT is within their ranges; Boston seems like a possible alternative to New York.
4) Thunderbird - very interested in international exposure and a possibility of landing a job with a multinational.

As I have been going crazy last couple of months trying to juggle multiples ideas and plans in my mind, ideally I would appreciate that if someone who reads my post can put it straight and conclude: 1) "Yes, give it a shot as you have a chance"; or 2) "No way you can get in a program this year, forget about MBA at this point in your life and find other ways to accelerate/change a career trajectory". If someone can share his/her similar experience, would be much appreciated as well.

Thank you in advance to all readers and responders!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Hello,

Could you please suggest me some SAFE schools (US) to apply to.. for Fall 2013 Full Time MBA.

My details -->

Female, India, 24 (Need to do MBA now...)
GMAT - 670 (47Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA)
Work Ex: 2 1/2 yrs, by Fall 2013 in a Top Indian IT Company (S/W Developer)
TOEFL - 108
Engineering - 74%
Extra curriculars - did leadership roles in college and church community(Worship Leader)..

1st round, I have applied to:
Ohio State Univ - Fisher (attended interview, waiting for decision)
NYU - Stern.

In the 2nd round, I am planning to apply to :
Univ of Washington - Foster, Seattle

Please suggest me a few safe schools for R2!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Originally posted by sheep7 on 11 Jan 2013, 14:47.
Last edited by sheep7 on 12 Jan 2013, 02:17, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Without speaking to you, it is tough to say, safety schools for you could range from schools ranked in the top 25-50.

A lot of it will depend on the strength of your essays, and being able to demonstrate leadership capabilities and clarity of career goals.

What would you like to do post MBA, and long-term?

How did you end up selecting the three schools?

Best,

Christine Lin
If you like this post, please give it KUDOS!

sheep7 wrote:
Hello,

Could you please suggest me some SAFE schools (US) to apply to.. for Fall 2013 Full Time MBA.

My details -->

Female, India, 24 (Need to do MBA now...)
GMAT - 670 (47Q, 35V, 4.5 AWA)
Work Ex: 2 1/2 yrs, by Fall 2013 in a Top Indian IT Company (S/W Developer)
TOEFL - 108
Engineering - 74%
Extra curriculars - did leadership roles in college and church community(Worship Leader)..

1st round, I have applied to:
Ohio State Univ - Fisher (attended interview, waiting for decision)
NYU - Stern.

In the 2nd round, I am planning to apply to :
Univ of Washington - Foster, Seattle

Please suggest me a few safe schools for R2!!

Thank you in advance for your help!

Originally posted by MarvelAdmissions on 11 Jan 2013, 22:49.
Last edited by MarvelAdmissions on 12 Jan 2013, 00:50, edited 1 time in total.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.7
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hi,

I've just got an acceptance from Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa. Scholarship details would be revealed in early summer, so at this time, I just need to reserve my seat with a $300 payment.

Although I researched a lot about this program, but based on your experience, what would you like to say about it, in context of employment opportunities for International students? IT/Technology Consulting is my immediate post-MBA goal, and I plan to work 2-3 in the US before returning back to India.

Secondly, I've got a "preferred applicant for Scholarship" email from the University of San Diego MBA program. I can't find the school in any rankings, but if I get a good scholarship and do an MBA from there, I'll most likely be getting a job in Silicon Valley, which is a hub of Technology/IT.

Is the trade-off between ranking and location worth it?

Best Regards,
Eeshan
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q40 V49
GPA: 2.96
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
I had planned to apply to quite a few schools for class of 2015 FT MBA. However, due to some family emergency, I could not apply to any of the targeted schools by R1, and was able to apply to only 3 schools in R2.

Currently, I am confused if I should apply to R3 for the other schools that I targeted. Having spoken to students/alumni, I have been discouraged more often than not as R3 has only a few seats and is more competitive. I wanna get thoughts and suggestions as to what is the difference in chances in applying in R2 vs R3

My background
Undergrad: Purdue Univ (2.96/4)
Work Ex: 3 years wirh American Express
Currently working with an Indian startup with their IT team.
GMAT-730
Extra curricular: Average (educating under privileged children)
Nationality: Indian (Asian)
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [1]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
With a GPA of <3.0, it will be an uphill battle regardless of when you apply. Applying earlier will obviously give you a better shot as fewer spots will have been taken. However, if adcoms admitted 0 people in R3, they wouldn't have R3s to begin with.

You've already submitted some R2 apps so that puts you in a relatively good position. Hopefully you at least get some interview invites there. Regardless of R2 results, if you think you *need* to go to bschool this year and if you think you can put together strong applications for R3, then go for it. Otherwise, wait until next year if your R2 apps don't work out, and apply early or R1 -- you'll have as good of a shot of admittance as anyone else here. Best of luck!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

To decide between using GMAT or GRE score, I recommend going with the score with better overall percentile, which I'm guessing it is your GMAT score.

If other areas such as work experience, leadership capabilities are strong, I would recommend perhaps stretching for USC (Marshall). If your MBA from India is from an institution accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), then USC would allow you to get a 26-unit Master of Science in Business Administration (M.S.B.A.), and you can further study in an area of specialization.

If you like to add another match school, perhaps consider UC Irvine.

Since you already have an MBA, and a Masters in Commerce, you will have to really clear about how an MBA from the U.S. will help you further your career.

Please feel free to contact us if you are interested in getting help with admissions consulting and career coaching.

https://marveladmissions.com/contact-us/

Best of luck to you!

Christine Lin

montgomery280 wrote:
Female, Indian
GMAT: 600 (second attempt);
Toefl:100
GPA: 3.3

Career interest: Marketing/ social and digital media

Target college:
1. Rutgers (have a gre score of 308 apart from gmat at 600. which of the two scores will better my chance at Rutgers?)
2. Temple
3. Thunderbird
Please suggest any colleges that I can possibly apply to with my score. I know my score is not very high but I cannot write the GMAT again.

Educational background:
Graduation in commerce (High ranked college in India)
MBA (Top 20 college in India)
Masters in Commerce (India)

Work experience- total 4 yrs
Domain: Qualitative market research
Market research company: 2 yrs
Brand consulting: 1yr
Others (Sales): 1 year
(Both companies are thought to be the best names in the world to work for)
Have a very strong and quick growth record and can provide very good recos.

Extra curriculars:
Very active in college (edu related). Shows leadership qualities, ownership of responsibility and peer mentoring.
Won awards for professional excellence (Job related)
Scholarship: Dont need any funding.
Will be happy to have any suggestions on schools I must apply to. I am not aiming very high but preferable top 40.

Thank you so much in advance.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 47
Concentration: Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q40 V42
GPA: 3.83
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Somehow I don't see her test scores being the hurdle here. She already has an MBA (and a specialized Masters). Wouldn't adcoms wonder why she needs a 3rd Masters degree? My guess is that by focusing just on her test scores and not the bigger issue you are probably not doing her any favors.

Also, you suggested USC Marshall, but a simple glance at their website tells us that Marshall tells people to apply to another program (not MBA) if you already have an MBA. Why would you suggest that she apply to a school that specifically doesn't want her kind of profile?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

She specifically asked whether she should submit the GRE or GMAT score, so I provided recommendation for her. Standarized test score is just one reference point amongst many considerations in the application.

Thanks for clarifying USC's MBA program. I suggested checking out USC because of her focus on marketing and social/digital media. If her MBA from India is from an institution accredited by the Association to Advance Collegiate Schools of Business (AACSB International), then ia USC would allow her to get a 26-unit Master of Science in Business Administration (M.S.B.A.), which would allow her to further study in an area of specialization.

Thank you.

Christine Lin

slr wrote:
Somehow I don't see her test scores being the hurdle here. She already has an MBA (and a specialized Masters). Wouldn't adcoms wonder why she needs a 3rd Masters degree? My guess is that by focusing just on her test scores and not the bigger issue you are probably not doing her any favors.

Also, you suggested USC Marshall, but a simple glance at their website tells us that Marshall tells people to apply to another program (not MBA) if you already have an MBA. Why would you suggest that she apply to a school that specifically doesn't want her kind of profile?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi,

Congratulations!

You should also take into consideration that the Tuition at Tippie ($40k) is much lower than at University of San Diego ($72k). Also consider the size of the class - Tippie at around 130 people vs. 40 people at U of San Diego.

I'm not sure being in San Diego makes it easier to get a job in Silicon Valley. Either school you pick, you would most likely have to network your way to a job in Silicon Valley.

Good luck to you!

Christine Lin

eeshan89 wrote:
Hi,

I've just got an acceptance from Tippie College of Business, University of Iowa. Scholarship details would be revealed in early summer, so at this time, I just need to reserve my seat with a $300 payment.

Although I researched a lot about this program, but based on your experience, what would you like to say about it, in context of employment opportunities for International students? IT/Technology Consulting is my immediate post-MBA goal, and I plan to work 2-3 in the US before returning back to India.

Secondly, I've got a "preferred applicant for Scholarship" email from the University of San Diego MBA program. I can't find the school in any rankings, but if I get a good scholarship and do an MBA from there, I'll most likely be getting a job in Silicon Valley, which is a hub of Technology/IT.

Is the trade-off between ranking and location worth it?

Best Regards,
Eeshan
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
With a GPA of <3.0, it will be an uphill battle regardless of when you apply. Applying earlier will obviously give you a better shot as fewer spots will have been taken. However, if adcoms admitted 0 people in R3, they wouldn't have R3s to begin with.

You've already submitted some R2 apps so that puts you in a relatively good position. Hopefully you at least get some interview invites there. Regardless of R2 results, if you think you *need* to go to bschool this year and if you think you can put together strong applications for R3, then go for it. Otherwise, wait until next year if your R2 apps don't work out, and apply early or R1 -- you'll have as good of a shot of admittance as anyone else here. Best of luck!

I agree with aerien. R3 is very competitive. Most AdComs (who are usually very PC) suggest applying in R1 or R2. Hopefully, R2 works out for you and this is a moot point. But if not, you are better off applying in R1 next year, IMO. You can start planning out your application strategy in the summer and start building up a strong case for your app. Even without the essays being released, you can begin working on some things (like explaining GPA). You are still relatively young (I am assuming, since you have 3 years of WE), so applying next year shouldn't affect your chances.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
ak2012 wrote:
aerien wrote:

I agree with aerien. R3 is very competitive. Most AdComs (who are usually very PC) suggest applying in R1 or R2. Hopefully, R2 works out for you and this is a moot point. But if not, you are better off applying in R1 next year, IMO. You can start planning out your application strategy in the summer and start building up a strong case for your app. Even without the essays being released, you can begin working on some things (like explaining GPA). You are still relatively young (I am assuming, since you have 3 years of WE), so applying next year shouldn't affect your chances.

Thanks aerien and ak2012. That does make sense. and to add to the above, i also have read/heard people saying that if you get rejected in R3, then it kind of decreases your acceptance chances in R1 next year, since there are hardly 6-7 months in between. and that period is hardly enough to improve your profile significantly. hence the re-applicant essay might not be as impactful as it should be.
But anyway for now, I hope to get a few calls, and i shall not apply for R3.
Thanks again.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sid28 wrote:

Thanks aerien and ak2012. That does make sense. and to add to the above, i also have read/heard people saying that if you get rejected in R3, then it kind of decreases your acceptance chances in R1 next year, since there are hardly 6-7 months in between. and that period is hardly enough to improve your profile significantly. hence the re-applicant essay might not be as impactful as it should be.
But anyway for now, I hope to get a few calls, and i shall not apply for R3.
Thanks again.

Glad to help. Please do keep us updated of your progress. We are rooting for you!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Can I hijack this thread and ask if anyone who already has an admit under their belt is thinking about throwing up a complete hail mary in round 3? Just curious because I have an admit, and was thinking maybe I just take a stab at HBS in round 3 and see if I can be their missing puzzle piece. Even if the odds are .001%, nothing to lose right?
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Can I hijack this thread and ask if anyone who already has an admit under their belt is thinking about throwing up a complete hail mary in round 3? Just curious because I have an admit, and was thinking maybe I just take a stab at HBS in round 3 and see if I can be their missing puzzle piece. Even if the odds are .001%, nothing to lose right?

Might as well go for it (assuming you are going to accept that admit if R3 doesn't work out and not apply for business school again)!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:

I agree with ak2012 a 100%. If you get dinged in R3 and you accept your admit, then you have nothing to lose and should go for it. On the same thought, if you actually think you have a good chance at HBS then go for it. However, if you are not sure of your chances, why waste time and energy on a new application, pay the app fee, and add stress and anxiety.
If you dont mind my asking, which school do u have the admit for?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
Send PM
Hi,

I had requested a profile evaluation a coupla weeks back and was lucky enough to get one.
https://gmatclub.com/forum/profile-evaluation-request-gmat-145130.html#p1163573

I need some more advice, kind of a mix of admissions and career advice actually ....
I'd appreciate if ppl replying would look at the earlier post, but to save the effort of going thru it, here's a snapshot of my profile:

GMAT 760 (Q50, V42)
10th: 89.86%
12th: 80.00%
Diploma in Electronics: 90.00% and a Gold medal
B.E.: 63.72%, Mumbai University
46 months with TCS [Star of the Quarter award, New recruits Top Performer award, On The Spot award, Cert. of Cust Appreciation, good appraisals etc.]
Decent to good extra-curriculars.

Scholarships form a key criterion for me.

Currently a 1st year MBA student at a top 10 / top 12 B-school in India.

I am interested in Finance. Need advice along the following lines:

A. What are my chances at Booth and Columbia. Have applied in R2 at both schools.

B. What are my chances at NUS, Singapore and Nanyang, Singapore. Will apply ASAP, by the end of Jan.

C. Because I took the GMAT very late, couldn't apply to Duke, Ross, Tepper, Simon. What are my chances of getting in with a good-to-high scholarship in R3 at these schools? Should I even bother applying in the 3rd window?

D. If I apply to ISB for the 2014 intake, what are my chances of getting in?

E. This is a tricky one. N I understand that finally it comes down to my decision. As I said, I am in the 1st year at a B-school in India. The reason opted for an MBA was that I want to work in Fin...start out in equity research and work my way up towards portfolio management. Here, I have landed a prime summer internship wid a top MNC e-commerce firm, but the profile might be Operations, IT, or with a low probability, project finance. Modesty aside, I think I have a decent chance of landing a high-paying job with them as well, based on how I'd do during the internship. BUT, it won't be aligned to my career goals.
So:
a. Is it too stupid / impudent of me to look at US/Singapore MBA options now, i.e. the 2013 intake.
b. Should I complete my MBA here and then apply for the 2014 intake, including to ISB, Hyderabad.
c. Should I take whatever job I get after this MBA, work for a few years, most probably in Operations Mgmt., and then apply to US / Singapore B-schools and try to switch to Finance then?

Originally posted by vra123 on 15 Jan 2013, 12:56.
Last edited by vra123 on 15 Jan 2013, 12:59, edited 3 times in total.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  4   5   6   7   8   9   10   11  ...  15