Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 21:34 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 21:34

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 141 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M)
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
ctgmat123 wrote:
Has anyone received the email with information on how to log into the admitted students website?

yes i got it last night, subj line "Incoming Student Website Invitation"
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Not sure how I missed that email...turns out I got that too and didn't notice it.

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Send PM
alis wrote:
ahhhhghghgh... someone from admissions just called with some "additional information" and I missed it!!!! Calling back now and crossing fingers!!

So did you get some "additional information" from admissions??? We're sitting on the edge of our seats...
Intern
Intern
Send PM
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
alis wrote:
ahhhhghghgh... someone from admissions just called with some "additional information" and I missed it!!!! Calling back now and crossing fingers!!

So did you get some "additional information" from admissions??? We're sitting on the edge of our seats...

Lol! I called her back twice but couldn't catch her. Based on the time of day i'm guessing we won't get to touch base until Monday. I know exactly who the woman is though, I've met her a few times over the years, so I'm really anxious to speak with her!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
alis wrote:
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
alis wrote:

Lol! I called her back twice but couldn't catch her. Based on the time of day i'm guessing we won't get to touch base until Monday. I know exactly who the woman is though, I've met her a few times over the years, so I'm really anxious to speak with her!

and of course this will probably more than make up for my earlier grumbles about not getting a phone call on decision day. :-X
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Send PM
alis wrote:
SalesGuy4MBA wrote:
alis wrote:

Bummer. Well, fingers are crossed for good news on Monday!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V42
Send PM
Hi all,

Every morning since the decision was released, I've woken up thinking that I dreamt the whole thing up. I've logged into the site a couple of times since just to confirm that the decision is still an admit. ;-)

I haven't suffered from lackofcontactitis because I've called the local alums who helped me through the process, and their excited reactions at my success was just the icing on the cake. Well, the first layer of icing. The second layer of icing was when I received a phone call from Megan around mid-day EST on Friday to tell me that they were going to help me out with some $$$.

My feet haven't touched the ground since. So blessed...
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: CBS '15 (S)
Send PM
I am hoping I could get some of your advice on a perhaps unique situation I'm currently in with respect to Duke.

I work at a relatively small firm. Other than myself, there are two other guys (guy A and guy B) from my firm who are applying to b-schools this year (Duke and others).
It turns out we are applying to almost exactly the same schools in the same round.A

Guy A and myself have not gotten recommendation letters from our current supervisors at the firm because they would be upset if we stated our intentions to leave. So we have gotten letters from clients, former firm, etc.

But Guy B has gotten letters from current supervisors at the firm. The reason he was able to do this is because he quit last fall, then asked for the letters. However, despite the fact that his employment has ended and he has not come to work for the last few months, on his application he stated that he is still employed at the firm and will be employed until the spring of this year. The current supervisors who wrote the letters agreed to keep this a secret from adcoms.
He even sent around an email on the last day telling us to basically to lie if adcoms or background checkers called.

Basically what he's been doing since fall is sitting at home exclusively working on his MBA apps, retaking the GMATs, going on campus visits, etc.

I truly think what Guy B is doing is really really unethical and it also damages my and Guy A's chances because we're applying to the same schools. I don't dislike Guy B and generally wish him well, but I really think what he is doing is cheating adcoms, me, fellow students, etc.

Please let me know what I should do? Should I inform the adcoms about this?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
anonymice wrote:
I am hoping I could get some of your advice on a perhaps unique situation I'm currently in with respect to Duke.

I work at a relatively small firm. Other than myself, there are two other guys (guy A and guy B) from my firm who are applying to b-schools this year (Duke and others).
It turns out we are applying to almost exactly the same schools in the same round.A

Guy A and myself have not gotten recommendation letters from our current supervisors at the firm because they would be upset if we stated our intentions to leave. So we have gotten letters from clients, former firm, etc.

But Guy B has gotten letters from current supervisors at the firm. The reason he was able to do this is because he quit last fall, then asked for the letters. However, despite the fact that his employment has ended and he has not come to work for the last few months, on his application he stated that he is still employed at the firm and will be employed until the spring of this year. The current supervisors who wrote the letters agreed to keep this a secret from adcoms.
He even sent around an email on the last day telling us to basically to lie if adcoms or background checkers called.

Basically what he's been doing since fall is sitting at home exclusively working on his MBA apps, retaking the GMATs, going on campus visits, etc.

I truly think what Guy B is doing is really really unethical and it also damages my and Guy A's chances because we're applying to the same schools. I don't dislike Guy B and generally wish him well, but I really think what he is doing is cheating adcoms, me, fellow students, etc.

You are in a really tight corner. But for virtually the whole company to agree to back his lie then sorry to say it but the integrity of your company is questionable. If you really feel strongly about reporting it, you can always call adcom to report it anonymously. But the downside of doing it anonymously is that, the school will just blacklist the company and you will also be affected so i think the best thing to do is to call and identify yourself before reporting it so they dont mix you up with the bunch or another route may be to tell them the name of that applicant who is doing that so they can single him out.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Kudos
anonymice wrote:

This a tough spot to be in and is really two pieces 1) Getting a recommender other than your current supervisor 2) Facing an unethical situation. For 1) It isn't a requirement to get a recommendation from a current supervisor and I don't think it's a big deal for the adcoms to not get current recommenders--they know the deal and don't want you to jeopardize your employment. This is something you can easily explain in the optional essay--which I did. The important piece is to get people who can speak to your personal and professional growth. I personally did not get one for the reason you mentioned above "firm is upset if you tell them you are applying to get your MBA" and they were only my supervisor for a few months. Instead, I got one recommendation from a former supervisor and a more senior mentor who I had a good relationship with over the years. For 2) I'm not sure you want to open up that can of worms. While it's clearly very unethical what he is doing the two of you both work/worked for the same company and it will only raise eyebrows even if you have the best intentions. Focus on making sure you have the best app possible. Finally, is the HR group at your company in on it as well? The reason I ask is that they (Duke's Third Party verification provider) will call HR to verify his employment if he is admitted. If they are not if will quickly become evident that he is not being truthful.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Does anyone know what percentage of the students get scholarships?

Also, how do they give these scholarships? Do they have a set budget of money to give away or do they try to enroll the best students with minimal amount of scholarships? What happens to the money when a student awarded with that money decides to go to another school?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
funemployed wrote:
asimov wrote:
The issue of not closing the deal isn’t anything new and has been brought up to many times in different forums to the school. There are a high level of interest from the student body to reach out on a volunteer basis, but as highhopes said, the students’ hands are tied, and frankly, I believe there is strong entrenched interest in AdCom to keep control. Hopefully, as Megan gain more experience on the job, things will change for the better.

I know all of Fuqua students/alum would agree that having a strong student body is one of the most important aspects of Team Fuqua. Having interacted with several great admits who turned down the offer because of the distaste in the admit experience, I am deeply disappointed at the admission’s performance.

Luckily, the experience as a student has no correlation with the admit experience.

Hi Asimov, how was your experience with the career management center at Fuqua? I know that CMC and admissions are not correlated, but the callousness of adcom make me doubt the entire Fuqua administration.

Can some current student/alumni comment on the career management center at Duke? Thanks.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
funemployed wrote:
funemployed wrote:
asimov wrote:
The issue of not closing the deal isn’t anything new and has been brought up to many times in different forums to the school. There are a high level of interest from the student body to reach out on a volunteer basis, but as highhopes said, the students’ hands are tied, and frankly, I believe there is strong entrenched interest in AdCom to keep control. Hopefully, as Megan gain more experience on the job, things will change for the better.

I know all of Fuqua students/alum would agree that having a strong student body is one of the most important aspects of Team Fuqua. Having interacted with several great admits who turned down the offer because of the distaste in the admit experience, I am deeply disappointed at the admission’s performance.

Luckily, the experience as a student has no correlation with the admit experience.

Hi Asimov, how was your experience with the career management center at Fuqua? I know that CMC and admissions are not correlated, but the callousness of adcom make me doubt the entire Fuqua administration.

Can some current student/alumni comment on the career management center at Duke? Thanks.

Two or three years ago the career management center (CMC) wasn't so great. They were lacking in the number of staff needed and the quality of staff was so-so. Over the past couple of years there has been major changes however, especially in light of some of the lower rankings Fuqua received on the CMC side. To improve things, they hired 10 additional staff members to bring the CMC to 30 full time employees and did a major reorg so staff was better aligned with student needs. If you're concerned about job placement, you can take a look at the most recent Fuqua employment report here: https://www.fuqua.duke.edu/mba_recruitin ... tatistics/
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
has anyone else received an email from the fuqua buddy program?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, International Business
Schools: Duke '15 (M$)
GMAT 1: 750 Q48 V42
Send PM
Yes, just got mine. Am meeting with a local alumnus on Tuesday anyway, so hopefully that'll help with the first round of questions...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Just got mine as well
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I am an international candidate and have been contacted by my fuqua buddy over email. Still no call from the adcom about any scholarship. Any idea whether the adcom will still be calling for $$ this week or is it the end of my dream to get any dollars?

PS: Not disappointed at all. I would love to be a Dukie, whether I am paid for it or not :)
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  43   44   45   46   47   48   49  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts