Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 05:58 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 05:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 23 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.85
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: HBS '15 (S)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V44
GPA: 3.57
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
KillerApp wrote:
Welcome to the 'Club', snowedinboston! And congratulations! Are you not coming to the ASW next week?

Will be there KillerApp, both days. Should also be hosting another admitted girl at my apartment; I'm excited!

Was at a Boston-area breakfast before Christmas hosted by Admissions, and I organized a pretty good roundup of 20-25 Boston-area admits for drinks (there are quite a few more than that though, including cross-enrolled students with HMS/HKS/HLS). I can tell you, expect Bostonians to rep our home city well at ASW :)
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Kudos
https://hbsguru.com/prices.html#4
HBS MOCK INTERVIEWS
I DO A LOT OF THEM
I CAN HELP YOU (I CAN ALSO HELP WITH STANFORD AND WHARTON)

I did over 100 mock interviews for HBS in Rounds 1 and 2 and 3 last year. Over the past 10 years, I have probably done over 800-1000 HBS mock interviews. My knowledge of how to prepare you for an HBS mock interview is based on those experiences.

I know typical HBS questions, including questions often asked of investment bankers, private equity, venture capital and hedge fund associates, and questions asked to those employed in non-profits, the military, manufacturing, and technology.
I know how to help you formulate your core story in ways which can be applied to many questions.
I can predict trouble areas in your application and help you come up with talking points to deal with them.
I can sense what your particular needs are in terms of presentation, for example, if you don't get to the point soon enough (a possibly fatal habit) or if you appear too aggressive or too arrogant or confident in the wrong way for often thin-skinned (and just plain thin) HBS interviewers (some of whom are predisposed not to like bankers).
I can help you create a back story for your goals which creates a solid platform for Why MBA, Why HBS?
I can help you prepare a strong answer to the question "Why should we take you?" This questions is often asked in several forms:
"What can YOU contribute to case method discussion based on background and experience?"
"How will your classmates remember you?"
"How have you grown as a leader?"
I can calm you down, although that will not be the first thing that happens.
I can help you formulate answers to 'ice-breaker' questions such as:
"I already know you from your application, just tell me what you think the three defining moments in your life are?"
"Pretend I have not read your application and I just met you. Tell me who you are, what you've done, and where you want to be 15 years?"
I can help prepare you to face such recently popular questions as:
"What is one thing that is not immediately apparent about you to others?"
"How would your friends describe you?"
"How has the financial crisis impacted you, your friends, your industry and your goals?"
THE PROCESS:THE MOCK INTERVIEW IS DONE BY PHONE.
If you want a mock HBS interview, send me an email to hbsguru@gmail.com, telling me when your interview is, what time zone you are in, what days and times are good for you, and attaching a resume. I will reply back w. dates and times, etc. Then you send me a pdf of your application. Mock interviews take about 60-70 minutes. The price is $400.00 dollars USD. You pay me when we speak and do the interview.

Some quick testimonials here, others are at the link below
Sandy was just an unbelievable resource for me in my preparation for the interview. In one 90 minute conversation, Sandy helped me figure out my pitch, told me exactly what mistakes I would be prone to making, and got me very comfortable with the universe of questions that I would be facing. It was terrific preparation for the interview, but the session has changed how I approach interviews in general. Sandy's candid insights about how I come across have helped me develop my sense of self-awareness, and genuinely were a great contributor to being accepted to Harvard Business School.

Sandy was great help in prepping me for my interview at HBS. I decided to use Sandy's services after a ding (w/ interview) from Sloan ... and knew that I didn't want to make the same mistakes. Sandy and I discussed what I did wrong in my Sloan interview, and then he coached me through common questions in the HBS interview.

It was a fairly interactive process. After I answered each question, he gave his reaction on what was working and what wasn't. He was professional, but didn't pull any punches ... and it was exactly that kind of critical feedback that I needed! By the end of the session, I felt I had learned some concrete tips for how to crystallize my story, and I knew what I needed to think about / work on as my interview approached.

Additionally, Sandy sent me an extensive list of commonly asked questions in HBS interviews. This was EXTREMELY helpful in my prep. When my actual interview happened, there were no curveballs, as I felt prepared to answer each question that my interviewer asked.

In the end ... success!! I was admitted to HBS, and I'm SO excited to start next year. Thanks, Sandy!

Sandy pretty much tore me a new ***hole during the first ten minutes of our mock interview. And not just on the content, but on the delivery. Initially, I'd ramble with my answers. But Sandy doesn't mess around. "Skip anything extraneous to the answer. Just answer
the **** question," he told me bluntly. Each interview question with Sandy is followed up with how he might answer the question in my shoes. Of course, he helped me with the wording of my responses, but more importantly, helped generate realistic answers using my background and my application. This was invaluable, as he often came up with more impressive ways to say essentially the same stuff. When it came time for the HBS interview, I had practiced what Sandy had taught me, and the answers flowed out smoothly. It worked -- I'm off to HBS.

I'm the gal from [ASIA] who rambled a lot during our mock interview ;-p
I wanted to share this great news with you. As you might have already assumed from the title, yes, I got in!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! It was two in the morning here . . .and I was up till then, waiting for the result nervously. And...you can imagine my joy and excitement to get the admission note!

Thank you so much for your support during the interview preparation. You did help me a lot and gave me a lot of great tips even after we finished our mock interview. Now I can really meet you in Boston '-p

$300 and 90 minutes of interview prep with Sandy made the difference between an acceptance letter and a ding at HBS. Prospective applicants will not find a consultant with more insight into the admissions process, nor one with the interview coaching skills that Sandy commands. (I commented during my session that he should be a press secretary; turns out he was the Director of Communications at Sloan.) Admissions interviews only vaguely resemble typical job interviews, and Sandy prepped me for questions that I received but would have never considered pertinent. Prior to my session with Sandy, I had read stacks of MBA admissions books and read interview guides. Good enough? Hardly. Don't try to skimp or take chances on some Johnny-come-lately imitator.

I felt like I was going to my HBS interview unprepared and disinterested. Sandy straightened me up and got me to focus. He also gave me detailed and honest feedback which I used to better convey what I wanted to get across in my interview. I walked in confident and composed, breezed through the interview, and got into HBS thanks to Sandy s interview prep.

Sandy's guidance in my preparation for the HBS interview was simply amazing - I mean it fully. Sandy gave me some really useful pieces of advice which enabled me to present a very distinct picture of myself in the 30 minute interview. The other thing that I liked about Sandy was his continuous support even after we finished the mock interview session. I think that without Sandy's support, I would not have been able to make it through the interview. Thanks a ton, Sandy! To all the future HBS aspirants - "If you really want to get a mock interview session, start with Sandy's

Sandy,

With tonnes of help from three of my best friends who are at HBS already, I felt that I had received all the prep I needed in order to ace my application and interview. But to be on the “safe side”, I decided $300 was a small price to pay for fresh eyes and a fresh grilling – and I’m glad I did. You helped me frame my answers in ways that impressed even me! And your help and mock questions made me super relaxed during my interview - I didn’t get a single question I was not prepared for!

Still buzzing from the high of receiving my offer – will have to buy you that beer in October!

"Sandy was an invaluable resource during MBA interview prep. My first mock interview for HBS was with him, and later I had a bunch of mock interviews with some other MBA prep companies and friends - and Sandy's was way more hard-hitting and dug into my application and really asked a bunch of tough questions. The feedback I received from Sandy was also very detailed. If you appreciate blunt, honest and straightforward advice, then you'll work well with him. Sandy, thanks for helping me get into HBS and Wharton!"

Sandy,

As predicted in your email below, I have been admitted to HBS!!

Thank you very much for your help. The advice you provided definitely gave me the edge I needed to be more confident and sharp during the interview.

I will be recommending your service to a lot of my friends!

[the two emails below are typical post-interview back-and-forth between me and the above candiddate]

Subject: Re: HBS Interview Debrief
haha, sounds real good, dude, you cert passed the interview and may have added some cred to your story.
Sounds good in the most impt ways--sure, you can always replay the thing 20 times, and come up w. better answers but that is not what it is about--it is about not screwing up and you did not.
this was good.
sk

At 09:45 PM 11/19/2009, you wrote:
I think I did well. I didn't stumble on anything and got my main points across. She was able to ask me all the questions she had prepared without rushing, which is always a good thing.
The one positive feedback I got was in relation to the last question (the one we prepared).
INT: "Is there anything else you wish I would've asked?".
ME: "I'm sure you see a lot of candidates from developing countries who say they're going to go back to change things there and never actually do. You might want me to tell you why you should believe me."
INT: "That's a very good question to which I'd love to know the answer."
ME: I said something along the lines of what we had prepared, i,e. I was not just born in _____, it's also my one and only citizenship, all my family still lives there, I go back as often as I can (once a year), and I am already involved in several social enterprise projects there.
INT: "I'm very glad you asked and answered that question. Thank you very much."

I'm now in over-analysis mode, i.e. replaying all my answers in my mind and thinking about what I should / shouldn't have said....

After I was invited for an Interview I decided to use Sandy's interview prep. Overall it was great in helping me prepare. It helped me focus on the right things and helped me figure out the best way to express the message I was trying to convey. Sandy was key in my acceptance to HBS!

Sandy,
Mark one up for the mysterious black box of HBS admissions - I got in!
Thank you for your help with interview prep. Your feedback and prep strategies were incredible and it was great chatting with you as well.
Your forum and blog helped me through 8 long dark months of waitlist and re-app process. Please keep up the amazing work. Best of luck to you!

If you are interviewing with HBS, you should definitely consider getting Sandy to coach you.

Here are the reasons.

1. He knows the questions asked in the past few years - he will share those with you so you can prepare better by yourself.
2. He knows the 'model' answers, and how to best present them - he will share those answers and coach you to present them well
3. After the interview, he will give you a candid assessment of how he thinks it went - his feedback will be useful for the next time (although hopefully you get in and do not need to reapply)

I felt that I received the best interview preparation from Sandy, and I highly recommend him.

HBS class of 2012"
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
So if we don't hear anything on Wednesday Jan 30th it's really unlikely we get an interview. Is that the consensus given how the previous round invites have been staggered?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
bulls011 wrote:
So if we don't hear anything on Wednesday Jan 30th it's really unlikely we get an interview. Is that the consensus given how the previous round invites have been staggered?

Yes. I think about 80% of invites are the first wave and 20% the second. So unlikely but not impossible. I guess it's better stated as unpredictable, just like the whole admissions process.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
machichi wrote:
bulls011 wrote:

Yes. I think about 80% of invites are the first wave and 20% the second. So unlikely but not impossible. I guess it's better stated as unpredictable, just like the whole admissions process.

Thanks. Reading that blog post made me nervous! Good luck to everyone.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
bulls011 wrote:

I was in the second round...that was a pretty painful week. Knowing the odds for each date really will not help - from your pespective as an individual data point it is all a binary process - you are through this round or you are not, and you wont know until the last date.

I think it is too early to be worrying about this, honestly. Take up yoga or tai chi and try to relax and keep you mind clear. It is out of your hands for now, so take a deep breath and try not to overanalyze it (though I know I scoured every word of every blog post - lol).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
hunterashmore
Weren't you in round 1?! Or did you apply round 2 last year? Either ways congrats on getting through this painful phase and most definitely on the admit!
I can't sleep until February 7th I think!!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Concentration: Healthcare
Send PM
dpulavarthi wrote:
hunterashmore
Weren't you in round 1?! Or did you apply round 2 last year? Either ways congrats on getting through this painful phase and most definitely on the admit!

He meant that he was in the second batch of invitations in the first round.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
scleraxis wrote:
dpulavarthi wrote:
hunterashmore

He meant that he was in the second batch of invitations in the first round.

right - many of you who just applied will be my classmates in August :-D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
snowedinboston wrote:
KillerApp wrote:
Welcome to the 'Club', snowedinboston! And congratulations! Are you not coming to the ASW next week?

Will be there KillerApp, both days. Should also be hosting another admitted girl at my apartment; I'm excited!

Was at a Boston-area breakfast before Christmas hosted by Admissions, and I organized a pretty good roundup of 20-25 Boston-area admits for drinks (there are quite a few more than that though, including cross-enrolled students with HMS/HKS/HLS). I can tell you, expect Bostonians to rep our home city well at ASW :)

Excellent on both accounts! Can't wait to meet you next week!
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
to the round 1 applicants, how soon did you guys hear back from HBS after the deadline? so anxious
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 31
Schools: IESE '15 (M$)
WE:Consulting (Accounting)
Send PM
Kudos
@ huberhuber, the HBS website says we shall hear from Harvard on 30th January and/or 7th February.. just 15 more days to go... dont worry..
Intern
Intern
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
@sunshineavenue
Thank you
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
I'm in the early stages but I have to say that I really like Harvard's application process. My boss is a Harvard MBA and said the interview process is intense but really effective, and the written app is about as long as I'd like it to be. Waiting until invitations are sent out is the most painful part.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: International Business, Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 3.44
WE:Business Development (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
Hey international R1ers. I have a very important question. Was Harvard adcom in the hub cities the entire interview season, or were they in each city for a specific date range?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Kudos
mybusiness wrote:
Hey international R1ers. I have a very important question. Was Harvard adcom in the hub cities the entire interview season, or were they in each city for a specific date range?

Adcoms are only in Hub cities for part of the window, as hinted at in Dee Leopold's blog post below, my advice is to get to that online scheduler
ASAP after you get the invite, especially in more exotic locales, where interview dates are sometimes only 3 or so days (that can mean 20-40 slots depending on how many adcoms they send; adcoms usually travel like nuns, in twos, but not always.)
-----------
[this was Round One interview instructions fr. Dee's blog ]October 17 and 24 - interview invitations will go out via email. This invitation will give you details about how to use the online interview scheduler which will go live the next day. We already know the planned locations for Round One: London, Paris, Dubai, Shanghai, Sao Paulo, Palo Alto, New York City and - always — on campus here in Boston. What we can't promise is that there will be enough spots in hub cities for everyone to be accommodated - we make travel plans early and make our best guess as to what capacity will be needed in each location. For those of you choosing to come to Boston for your interview, there will actually be some formal programming on the interview days to help you get to know the school better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [5]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Kudos
I've had a few requests for interview prep advice, so I thought I'd share here for everyone.

1. I used two sources for prep:
Clear Admit free wiki: https://blog.clearadmit.com/category/interview-reports/school/harvard/
HARBUS un-official guide: https://www.hbsinterview.com/

2. I basically looked over my application about 100 times before the interview looking for gaps or career choices so I could concisely explain my decisions. Remember - your interviewer will have your application in front of him/her and may reference something specific. This happened to me: She asked me what I meant when I described my current role. I laughed a bit and told her it's hard to explain what I do in 200 characters and then answered in more detail. I think she chuckled.

3. RELAX!! I usually do not get nervous, but I could tell in my first answer or two that I was a mess. I just kept thinking that I knew myself better than they did and the purpose of the interview is show them who you are - nothing more, nothing less. That seemed to help me calm down, but think about what works for you. You will most likely need to use it!

GOOD LUCK!!!!
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  64   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts