Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:31 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:31

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [5]
Given Kudos: 282
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.75
WE:Sales (Telecommunications)
Send PM
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 353 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT Date: 01-30-2013
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Re: A three-dimensional skeleton rectangular shape is made up of metal [#permalink]
Since base is a square 8x would be the total length of the two squares in the figure.
This leaves 4h (4 x number of rods representing the height) to complete the total 480 length of the figure.

Thus... 8x + 4h = 480.
This reduces to h = 120-2x
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [4]
Given Kudos: 130
Re: A three-dimensional skeleton rectangular shape is made up of metal [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
rajathpanta wrote:
Hi Mike, Unable to visualize...

OK, it's a bit challenging to explain visualization via internet text, but here goes.

For this problem, it doesn't matter at all whether we are dealing with the skeleton frame or a solid box --- the math is exactly the same either way, so I am going to discuss a box, because that's easier to visualize.

Imagine we have a box sitting on a table --- say a carton around the size of a half-gallon of milk or orange juice, but flat at the top instead of peaked. This box has 12 edges. Any rectangular solid in the world has 12 edges. I strongly recommend you get a physical box of anything, as long as its fully rectangular, and trace your finger along the 12 edges to convince yourself of this fact. ----- An "edge" is the "corner line" where two flat faces meet --- any rectangular solid has six faces, the flat surfaces where they print stuff, and twelve edges, the lines where two faces meet, and six vertices, the corners where three edges come together.

Now, back to our box sitting on the table. First, we are going to take account of the four edges that are touching the table, the four on the bottom, surround the square on the bottom. There are four lengths of x, for a grand total of 4x for the lengths on the bottom.
Attachment:
box top & bottom.JPG
box top & bottom.JPG [ 27.01 KiB | Viewed 5585 times ]

Now, consider the top of the box, the four edges that surround the square on the top, which is congruent to the bottom and parallel to it. This also has four lengths of x, so this also has a grand total length of 4x. If we add the lengths of the bottom and the lengths of the top together, that is 4x + 4x = 8x of wire needed to surround those two faces.

Now, we have to consider the four remaining edges. These edges have different lengths from the other eight. Unlike the bottom, which sits on the table, and the top, which is parallel to the table, these last four edges are perpendicular to the surface of the table. The make a right angle with the surface of the table and move vertically away from the plane of the table. These each have a length of the height --- the height is unknown, so I will just call it "h."
Attachment:
box sides.JPG
box sides.JPG [ 16.45 KiB | Viewed 5575 times ]

There are four of these edges, each with length h, so that's a total length of 4h for these final four edges.

If we add all twelve edge lengths, we get 8x + 4h = 480, which, as I explained above, leads to h = 120 - 2x.

Does this make more sense now?

Mike :-)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [0]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Rectangular 3 Dimensional shape (parallelepiped) will have 6 surfaces & 12 edges. In this case out of 6, two surfaces are squares with side X and remaining 4 are rectangles with height H and width X.

Consider this rod (length=480) is split to form the 12 "edges" of this 3D rectangular shape.

Sum(length of all edges of shape) = sum (length of 4 edges of bottom square) + sum (length of 4 edges of upper square) + sum (length of 4 edges as heights)

\(480 = 4X + 4X + 4H\)

\(4H=480-8X\)

\(H=120-2X\)

Hence choice(D) is the answer.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [0]
Send PM
I completely misread!!! thanks so much !! this was pretty easy....
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92915 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts