Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:25 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:25

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 20 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Re: McCombs (UT Austin) 2013 Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Do you think if I have a 730 on the GMAT and had a pretty good interview that I have a good chance of getting in?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sorry -- I guess what I'm asking is, how closely are applications looked at before interviews? Is the interview much of a deciding factor? Are they only screened about whether to be interviewed, and then looked at A LOT more closely after the interview?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.4
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Hello
I am an international student. My under grad was in English. Do I still need to take IELTS/ TOEFL?

Thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Wanted to come up on the net here, I am a McCombs round one admit and will be matriculating in the fall. I was a UT undergraduate and I am currently an active duty army infantry officer (75th Ranger Regiment), had a 670 GMAT, and a 3.78 undergrad GPA with a liberal arts degree.

If anyone has any questions on UT/Austin as a whole feel free to message me, especially any other vets that are headed to McCombs.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: Finance, Technology
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
Anybody else get an interview invitation email despite already having an interview scheduled? I got an invitation email a few weeks ago directly from an admissions officer saying he'll be visiting my city soon and I and scheduled with him when he's in town (and my "interview" tab on the website reflects that). However today I got another invite, though this one looks to be a system-generated automatic email, and it also has an interview deadline before my currently scheduled interview.

I can't get to a phone to call MAC today but will do so first thing in the AM. In the meantime, I wanted to see if anybody else received a similar note?

Quote:
Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Dear XXX,

After an initial review of your application, you have been selected for an admissions interview.

PLEASE READ THIS EMAIL CAREFULLY BEFORE SCHEDULING YOUR INTERVIEW.

You have the choice to interview on campus, off campus, or via Skype.

INTERVIEW DEADLINE:
Applicants who applied to McCombs in Round 2 should complete the interview before Wednesday January 23rd, 2013. (You may still schedule your interview on this day.)

ON CAMPUS INTERVIEWS:
For on campus interviews, please select from a calendar of available dates and times for your interview. On campus interviews are conducted by current 2nd year students and Admissions Officers. (ALL INTERVIEWS ARE CONDUCTED IN CENTRAL STANDARD TIME)

OFF CAMPUS INTERVIEWS:
For local interviews in your area, you can filter by country or state, and/or search for a particular city (using the Keyword search) to select from a list of available alumni interviewers. CLICK ON AN INTERVIEWERS EMAIL ADDRESS AND EMAIL THEM DIRECTLY TO CONFIRM THEIR AVAILABILITY. AFTER THE INTERVIEWER HAS CONFIRMED WITH YOU VIA EMAIL, GO TO THE "INTERVIEW DETAILS" TAB AND INPUT THE APPOINTMENT DETAILS (INTERVIEWER NAME, DATE, TIME, LOCATION), THEN HIT SAVE. HITTING SAVE WILL GENERATE AN EMAIL THAT WILL BE IMMEDIATELY SENT TO YOUR INTERVIEWER REMINDING THEM OF YOUR INTERVIEW.

SKYPE INTERVIEWS:
For Skype interviews, please select from a calendar of available dates and times for your interview. Skype interviews are conducted by current 2nd year students and Admissions Officers. (ALL INTERVIEWS ARE CONDUCTED IN CENTRAL STANDARD TIME unless otherwise noted by your interviewer.)

RESCHEDULING OR CANCELING INTERVIEWS:
If you need to cancel or reschedule your interview after your interview has been confirmed, please email interview@mccombs.utexas.edu.

Here is the link to schedule your interview: https://mccombs-utexas-admissions.symplicity.com/. The link to schedule will be found on the home page when you first log in (click the word "Schedule" in the yellow box on the home page).
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Looks like 23rd Jan is the deadline to receive an invite for R2 applicants.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
sashankmnm wrote:

It makes sense. January 23rd is the next application deadline date. I am losing hope with every day that goes by. I would be interested in hearing from waitlisted applicants about how they were notified.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: General Management
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:
sashankmnm wrote:

It makes sense. January 23rd is the next application deadline date. I am losing hope with every day that goes by. I would be interested in hearing from waitlisted applicants about how they were notified.

i think the invites are pretty "dead" already... the last one reported on gmat club was more than 10 days ago.. i lost hope about a week ago :(

too bad man, mccombs is one of my favorites...

also, it is interesting to see that there are many people in the gmat 750+ range not getting invite (according to the statistic on the first page. )
Manager
Manager
Send PM
zl2012 wrote:
UTMPA2011 wrote:
sashankmnm wrote:

i think the invites are pretty "dead" already... the last one reported on gmat club was more than 10 days ago.. i lost hope about a week ago :(

also, it is interesting to see that there are many people in the gmat 750+ range not getting invite (according to the statistic on the first page. )

I think McCombs realizes that many students apply to UT as a safety school. 750+ GMAT applicants probably refuse offers too frequently. The small class size of UT doesn't support more offers either.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
I would think that if you didn't get an interview invite, you wouldn't be waitlisted; seems like those who get interviews would be the ones likely to get waitlisted.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
zl2012 wrote:
UTMPA2011 wrote:
sashankmnm wrote:

I agree w/ the theory about McCombs trying to protect their acceptance yield rate to a certain degree, but there's a chance that many students w/ high GMATs are letting their "safety school" bias bleed into the application (not saying that this happened to either of you). rjdunn got an R2 interview invite w/ a 780 GMAT, and 3 R1 gmatclub admitted applicants had a 740+ GMAT, so you could easily have one coming your way this week. I'm not saying any of these apply to you, but just some factors that might come into play:

- Are your essays cookie cutter in the sense that you could virtually copy and paste everything into your next school's application by replacing the school name?
- I've heard AdCom members say it's surprisingly common to see applicants who actually leave another school's name somewhere in the application.
- A question on the app. reads, "Other Graduate Applications." If it says something similar to, "Stanford, Wharton, HBS," did you properly justify in your application what unique characteristics make McCombs stand up to the others?
- Do you know how you were rated by your bosses in the letters of recommendation section? If their ratings are low enough, AdCom members have said that's instant death.

I'm sure everything will work out, but just some food for thought...
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I agree w/ the theory about McCombs trying to protect their acceptance yield rate to a certain degree, but there's a chance that many students w/ high GMATs are letting their "safety school" bias bleed into the application (not saying that this happened to either of you). rjdunn got an R2 interview invite w/ a 780 GMAT, and 3 R1 gmatclub admitted applicants had a 740+ GMAT, so you could easily have one coming your way this week. I'm not saying any of these apply to you, but just some factors that might come into play:

- Are your essays cookie cutter in the sense that you could virtually copy and paste everything into your next school's application by replacing the school name?
- I've heard AdCom members say it's surprisingly common to see applicants who actually leave another school's name somewhere in the application.
- A question on the app. reads, "Other Graduate Applications." If it says something similar to, "Stanford, Wharton, HBS," did you properly justify in your application what unique characteristics make McCombs stand up to the others?
- Do you know how you were rated by your bosses in the letters of recommendation section? If their ratings are low enough, AdCom members have said that's instant death.

I'm sure everything will work out, but just some food for thought...[/quote]

As far as my essays, I provided specific examples of the benefits of the UT MBA program that would require major revision to be used in other applications. I did not provide a list of other schools because that only benefits the school at my expense. The recommendations were very strong and from directors. UT was my first application and I took precaution to ensure that I used McCombs and UT only.

I think that the major weakness of my application is my work experience. I will only have 41 months of experience by the time of matriculation. No supervisory experience.

Honestly, I was hoping to leverage my prior McCombs master's degree to get into the MBA program. In fact, I have already taken MBA courses at UT and earned As. I don't know how I could possibly support my academic aptitude more than that. However, the lack of management experience ("leadership") will probably kill my chances.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
spouser wrote:
I would think that if you didn't get an interview invite, you wouldn't be waitlisted; seems like those who get interviews would be the ones likely to get waitlisted.

Thanks, Debbie Downer. Just kidding. You make a good point. There are gmatclub members that have been waitlisted with and without interviews. I would like to think that I will be waitlisted. While I am not expecting a ding, I would be surprised to receive it. The option to delay could be quite valuable to McCombs. Accordingly, I think the upside only proposition would incentivize McCombs to keep borderline applicants (I am assuming that I would be included in this group) in the mix. The less than 50% acceptance rate of admissions offers also lends itself to a bigger waitlist pool.

I would rather be dinged after interview than waitlisted without an interview. I really want the chance to plead my case before someone that I can persuade.
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: U.S. Air Force
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [1]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Technology, Operations
GMAT 1: 670 Q47 V35
GPA: 3.58
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
UTMPA2011 wrote:

I'm sure everything will work out, but just some food for thought...

As far as my essays, I provided specific examples of the benefits of the UT MBA program that would require major revision to be used in other applications. I did not provide a list of other schools because that only benefits the school at my expense. The recommendations were very strong and from directors. UT was my first application and I took precaution to ensure that I used McCombs and UT only.

I think that the major weakness of my application is my work experience. I will only have 41 months of experience by the time of matriculation. No supervisory experience.

Honestly, I was hoping to leverage my prior McCombs master's degree to get into the MBA program. In fact, I have already taken MBA courses at UT and earned As. I don't know how I could possibly support my academic aptitude more than that. However, the lack of management experience ("leadership") will probably kill my chances.[/quote]

Yeah, the wait sucks, and it seems like you have a strong case. I'd agree w/ you that it'd be more of an issue of leadership/managerial experience than # years WE. However, have you spoken to them about how they view diversity of applicants? At my undergrad institution, the MBA program specifically said they try to avoid people who already got another business degree from the school because they won't receive as much added value as someone else the second time around. Conversely, I did notice a few profiles on the McCombs MBA site of UT undergrads. Do you know any of the 2nd-yr. students or AdCom members?

Posted from my mobile device
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
[/quote]- A question on the app. reads, "Other Graduate Applications." If it says something similar to, "Stanford, Wharton, HBS," did you properly justify in your application what unique characteristics make McCombs stand up to the others?[/quote]

When they ask you this question always put one school much higher ranked (when applicable) and then other schools in the same bracket.

For instance if McCombs ask you it should be something like: Wharton (the much higher ranked) and then the likes to UCLA, Cornell, Rice, Notre Dame.

McCombs was my first choice but the lowest ranked school I applied to. It would have been absurd for me to tell implicitly they were the lowest ranked school I was applying to. They would have thought they were my safety school.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:
spouser wrote:

Thanks, Debbie Downer. Just kidding. You make a good point. There are gmatclub members that have been waitlisted with and without interviews. I would like to think that I will be waitlisted. While I am not expecting a ding, I would be surprised to receive it. The option to delay could be quite valuable to McCombs. Accordingly, I think the upside only proposition would incentivize McCombs to keep borderline applicants (I am assuming that I would be included in this group) in the mix. The less than 50% acceptance rate of admissions offers also lends itself to a bigger waitlist pool.

I would rather be dinged after interview than waitlisted without an interview. I really want the chance to plead my case before someone that I can persuade.

Sorry! I wasn't trying to kill your hope. I didn't know there were people on here who got waitlisted without interviews; I guess I should have looked better.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Just out of curiosity, would one receive a rejection notice before the final notification deadline, or is it standard to not hear until the deadline in the case of a ding?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  13   14   15   16   17   18   19  ...  50   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts