Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 16:50 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 16:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1103 [162]
Given Kudos: 4
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GPA: 3.85
WE:Sales (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 102 [37]
Given Kudos: 52
Send PM
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 63649 [24]
Given Kudos: 1773
GMAT 1: 780 Q51 V46
GMAT 2: 800 Q51 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V170

GRE 2: Q170 V170
Send PM
Experts' Global Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 4683 [3]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT Date: 11-01-2019
Send PM
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reser [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Dear Friends,

Here is a detailed explanation to this question-

Bull78 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

(A) Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

(B) Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are

(C) Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are

(D) Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be

(E) Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

Choice A: Option A maintains proper idiom use, pronoun use, and subject-verb agreement throughout the sentence. Thus, Option A is correct.

Choice B: Option B utilizes the incorrect idiom form, "now viewing the economy to be"; the correct form is "now viewing the economy as". Thus, Option B is incorrect.

Choice C: In Option C, we see a construction error that leads to a pronoun error. As the pronoun "who" comes right after the noun "Federal Reserve", the pronoun appears to be modifying this noun. This use of "who" is not appropriate, as "the Federal Reserve" is an inanimate entity. Thus, Option C is incorrect.

Choice D: Option D commits the same error, regarding the pronoun "who" that Option C does. Thus, Option D is incorrect.

Choice E: In Option E, we see a subject-verb disagreement between the noun "policymakers" and the verb "is". Thus, Option E is incorrect.

Hence, A is the best answer choice.

All the best!
Experts' Global Team
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 162 [27]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: MBA - Strategy, Operations & General Management
 Q44  V28 GMAT 2: 650  Q49  V29 GMAT 3: 650  Q47  V33
WE 1: Oil and Gas - Engineering & Construction
Send PM
Re: Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reser [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bull78 wrote:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

First split to be seen is - "is v/s are" both of these be-forms are referring to "policy makers", hence it should be "are"

Now are is in A, B and C.

Lets look at C - the use of "who" is misplaced here, it would have been correct if it was modifying "policy makers" because they can view the economy not the "Federal reserve" as such.

Between B and A - very subtle difference between the modifier "now viewing the economy to be"
V/S "now viewing the economy as"

Correct idiom is "view X as Y" and Not View X to be Y

hence {A}
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 42103 [34]
Given Kudos: 422
WE:Education (Education)
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
Here is a yet another dimension to solve this tangle the grammar way;

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are ---- correct sentence with a working plural verb -are- for the subject policy makers

B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are ……..The conjunction- and – spoils the party, by weaning away the verb and leaving the first part of the sentence a fragment without a working verb

C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are … the intrusion of who despoils the structure of the sentence by rendering the main clause a fragment.

D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be --- as already punted out, the pronoun –who- does not gel with the Fed, literally an inanimate body

E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is ------ policy makers and is – S-V mismatch

These observations are in addition to the other idiomatic mistakes pointed by other posters .
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 227 [20]
Given Kudos: 14
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Bull78 wrote:

A. Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
B. Reserve, now viewing the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation and are
C. Reserve who, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are
D. Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
E. Reserve, which now views the economy to be balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, is

If you want to create a standard approach to solve these types of questions, make sure you identify the parts of speech. Isolate the subject first, your life will be easier.

Notice that there is a phrase between commas, removing which also makes the sentence logical. So remove it and simplify. Now the original sentence is:
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve are almost certain to leave interests rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

You see the mistake? The subject is "policy makers" [plural] so verb should be "are". Eliminate E.

Now coming to the phrase between the commas. It is modifying phrase talking about the subject closest to the comma, which is "Federal Reserve". In C and D, "who" is used with Federal Reserve, which is incorrect. Now we are left with A and B.

The idiomatic usage is "between X and Y" where X and Y have to be parallel. In B, it is not. In B, X = "that of moderate growth" and Y = "low inflation". Do not agree...

thus the correct answer is A.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
Is D also wrong because of presence of 'that of'?

Reserve, who now view the economy to be balanced between that of moderate growth and low inflation, will be
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [10]
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Kudos
Hi Sachin,

Yes you are correct, 'that of' is wrong here.

It doesn't have anything to link back to. As others have said it is correct as in A.

Cheers,

James
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1215 [0]
Given Kudos: 86
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V34
Send PM
I got this question in my GMAT Prep yesterday. I am sure that I couldn't nail this problem because of lack of conceptual clarity.

When I looked at option A, I felt the phrase between the commas is an '-ing' modifier and hence it doesn't modify the closest noun/noun phrase - "policy makers at the Federal Reserve". Instead, the modifier modifies "how experts believe?"

So, I felt may be C is better in adding 'Who', though I was really not sure.

Could somebody help me where am I wrong in my reasoning?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
Many financial experts believe that policy makers at the Federal Reserve, now viewing the economy as balanced between moderate growth and low inflation, are almost certain to leave interest rates unchanged for the foreseeable future.

Can you please explain your why you chose your answer?

Thanks,

Originally posted by AJ21 on 13 Apr 2014, 10:31.
Last edited by carcass on 13 Apr 2014, 14:48, edited 1 time in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32863 [1]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM