Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 08:15 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 08:15

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Re: Mention or not to mention? [#permalink]
@gonewiththewind:

What was your GMAT score? What is your nationality? How does your GPA compare to the American (4.0) based system?

The reason I ask is because I have applied to quite a few of the same programs as you and giving me your details will allow be to tell is your supplemental essay is hurting you (i.e. if we have similar stats and you got denied but I got admitted)
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wjf9838 wrote:
@gonewiththewind:

What was your GMAT score? What is your nationality? How does your GPA compare to the American (4.0) based system?

The reason I ask is because I have applied to quite a few of the same programs as you and giving me your details will allow be to tell is your supplemental essay is hurting you (i.e. if we have similar stats and you got denied but I got admitted)

Oh yes, sorry. I will mention my profile here. I haven't given the GMAT. I had given the GRE.

Quant: 163 (88th Percentile)
Verbal: 162 (89th Percentile)
AWA: 5.5 (96th Percentile)

GPA: 5.9/10 (Didn't have to covert during submission, but my GPA is quite low)

Internship Exp:
1. Internship as hardware & software engg. at one of largest chemical manufacturing companies for 1.5 months.
2. Internship at one of largest debt market operator in India for 1.5 months as financial analyst.

Portfolio Mgmt Exp:
Managed a personal portfolio for the past 3 years (during UG this is not work ex) and beat the market by 27%.

This is it, in a nutshell.

Could you mention your profile and admit/rejects too?

Thanks.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
GPA: 3.73
Send PM
Your scores look pretty solid, however, I am not that familiar with the GRE. This is just my opinion, but business schools seem to like the GMAT more in making their assessment about you. Why? Because all/most of their MBA applicants take the GMAT and almost all the MSF applicants take the GMAT, so it is much easier to make a comparison between students. Also, I have heard that the percentiles are harder for them to gauge. Why? Because many of the people taking the GRE are pursuing programs totally unrelated to business (I know a girl who took the GRE for a masters in early childhood education), while everyone taking the GMAT is pursuing an education in business. So, your GRE percentiles mix you in with teaching, psychology, and ecology students, thus making you harder to gauge.

As for me, I am a white American male. I was an undergraduate business student, majoring in real estate, with a GPA of 3.71. My GMAT was 710 (Q49/V38). I have one year work experience in a real estate law firm reviewing and negotiating financing contracts. The programs I have applied to:

Tulane: Accept w/ small scholarship and asstianship
Univ. of Denver: Accepted with large scholarship
Texas (Austin): Accepted
Villanova: Accepted with Fellowship
Purdue: Interviewed still waiting for response
MIT: just submitted application Jan. 4th, waiting to hear back
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Yes you should mention your learning disability as it is a valid reason why your grades might not have been great during your first two years of school. However, it does sound like you might have gone into a bit too much detail about the disability -- when in reality all admissions really needs to know is that you have it and that is really impacted your performance during your first two years of school.

Do not give up though -- there are plenty of programs that will appreciate what you have accomplished and want somebody like you in their class.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review
Intern
Intern
Send PM
wjf9838 wrote:
Your scores look pretty solid, however, I am not that familiar with the GRE. This is just my opinion, but business schools seem to like the GMAT more in making their assessment about you. Why? Because all/most of their MBA applicants take the GMAT and almost all the MSF applicants take the GMAT, so it is much easier to make a comparison between students. Also, I have heard that the percentiles are harder for them to gauge. Why? Because many of the people taking the GRE are pursuing programs totally unrelated to business (I know a girl who took the GRE for a masters in early childhood education), while everyone taking the GMAT is pursuing an education in business. So, your GRE percentiles mix you in with teaching, psychology, and ecology students, thus making you harder to gauge.

As for me, I am a white American male. I was an undergraduate business student, majoring in real estate, with a GPA of 3.71. My GMAT was 710 (Q49/V38). I have one year work experience in a real estate law firm reviewing and negotiating financing contracts. The programs I have applied to:

Tulane: Accept w/ small scholarship and asstianship
Univ. of Denver: Accepted with large scholarship
Texas (Austin): Accepted
Villanova: Accepted with Fellowship
Purdue: Interviewed still waiting for response
MIT: just submitted application Jan. 4th, waiting to hear back

Did you apply for Texas Austin MSF (1st Round)? Did they interview you? I have applied to UT Austin too but haven't yet heard back. I guess that means a reject. Even I interviewed for Purdue. Hope that's positive.

ManhattanReview wrote:
Yes you should mention your learning disability as it is a valid reason why your grades might not have been great during your first two years of school. However, it does sound like you might have gone into a bit too much detail about the disability -- when in reality all admissions really needs to know is that you have it and that is really impacted your performance during your first two years of school.

Do not give up though -- there are plenty of programs that will appreciate what you have accomplished and want somebody like you in their class.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Thanks, that gives me hope. I shall definitely review my essays and resume etc.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Quick question regarding Europe Applications: Many of the European schools have 3 rounds. In most US schools the 2nd round is the final round for which international students are eligible. No such deadline for international students seems to be mentioned for international students. Does this mean I am eligible to apply for round 3 (march)?
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts