Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:48 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:48

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [5]
Given Kudos: 322
Concentration: General Management, General Management
GMAT 1: 630 Q47 V29
GMAT 2: 680 Q50 V32
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
Re: From 2004 to 2005, Unlimited Postal Service [#permalink]
Hi - I agree with Marcab,

B is a good candidate. Please can we have the OE?

A is definietely wrong though. If they stopped taking orders after 1, this would make it more likely the orders they do take being delivered on time goes up. We're talking about 'rate' so % complete not total number.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3155 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Here is OE
Correct Answer: D

This is an 'explain the paradox' question. The correct answer must explain how Unlimited Postal Service went from first to last in on-time overnight delivery rate, even though the other five companies' relative positions stayed the same. Something drastic must have happened to affect Unlimited Parcel Service that did NOT affect the other companies. Answer choice (D) could explain how Unlimited Parcel Service's on-time delivery rate dropped; its delivery personnel were on strike for an entire month while its competitors were operating as normal. Answers (A) and (C) would actually make the paradox even stronger. Answer (B) is irrelevant; we do not know what type of employees were laid off (it might have been only the legal department, which would not affect deliveries). Answer (E) affected all six companies, so it would not explain how only Unlimited Parcel Service's on-time delivery ranking changed.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Ok but in D we have a strike but this could not affect the rate because the strike take place on february and we have a lower rate that reflect an entire year........

i'm skeptical with this question, telling the truth
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 912 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Schools: LBS '14 (A$)
GMAT 1: 770 Q48 V48
Send PM
I agree with Carcass,

Dodgy question.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32864 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
plumber250 wrote:
I agree with Carcass,

Dodgy question.

@Plumber

Moreover the OE says that the 10% of the laided off are employees that do not impact on the rate.

Ok here is the trick: never do an assumption or an inference on a gmat question (as general rule) BUT here my common sense tells me that this group (our 10%) for logic are employees that IMPACT the rate, lowering it

To make a long story short, from the question: I could think that this 10% are employees that affect the rate as well as \(NOT\)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 271 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Re: From 2004 to 2005, Unlimited Postal Service had the highest [#permalink]
B) In a drastic cost-cutting measure, Unlimited Postal Service laid off 10 percent of its employees in early 2005.
Employees is too broad a term. It includes delivery personnel + other employees. So we don't know whether 10% were delivery personnel or others. Also, since we are bothered about on-time delivery rate we need something that affects that rate specifically - Wrong

D) In response to cuts to their retirement benefits, Unlimited Postal Service's delivery personnel went on a company-wide strike for all of February 2005.
Bang on! Two things to notice - first this statement directly addresses the issue at hand - low on-time rate - and links it to the delivery personnel.
Second- the period covered is from 2005-2006 (12 months - a short period) and if out of those 12 months, your employees are not working for 1 month, while the employees of the other 5 major companies are, it will affect you overall on-time rate.
- Correct
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 436 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
From 2004 to 2005, Unlimited Postal Service had the highest [#permalink]
From 2004 to 2005, Unlimited Postal Service had the highest on-time overnight delivery rate of the six major delivery companies in the country. From 2005 to 2006, however, Unlimited Postal Service had the lowest on-time overnight delivery rate of the six major delivery companies. The on-time overnight delivery ranking of the other five companies relative to each other remained unchanged.

Which of the following, if true, would most contribute to an explanation of the facts above?

In early 2005, Unlimited Postal Service stopped taking overnight deliveries after 1:00 PM to ensure that the deliveries would be made according to schedule.

In a drastic cost-cutting measure, Unlimited Postal Service laid off 10 percent of its employees in early 2005.

Unlimited Postal Service implemented a new electronic package tracking system in early 2005 in order to improve delivery speed and efficiency.

In response to cuts to their retirement benefits, Unlimited Postal Service's delivery personnel went on a company-wide strike for all of February 2005.

Although all six delivery companies try to keep their overnight deliveries on schedule, increased security measures at many airports increased delays in deliveries originating in the cities those airports serve.

By the process of elimination ,Option A, C and E are clearly out of scope.

Option B:10 % emploees were fired,but from where or which department? lets assume there are 10 departments and 10 employees in each department and 1 is fired from each department.How much would be the impact...?we are not sure how much.so we keep this on hold.

Option D:Employees from the delivery department went on strike, that means all the rest of the departments were working which includes the employees from the department that collects the post to be deliverd.That means the Unlimited Postal services collected post for one month but did not deliver any for entire 1 month that means the ontime delivery rate reduced by 8.3% directly.

Option D is better detailed and provides a better reason while addressing the paradox in the facts provided.

Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 233
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship, General Management
GMAT 1: 690 Q49 V34
GMAT 2: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 2.8
Send PM
carcass wrote:
plumber250 wrote:
I agree with Carcass,

Dodgy question.

@Plumber

Moreover the OE says that the 10% of the laided off are employees that do not impact on the rate.

Ok here is the trick: never do an assumption or an inference on a gmat question (as general rule) BUT here my common sense tells me that this group (our 10%) for logic are employees that IMPACT the rate, lowering it

To make a long story short, from the question: I could think that this 10% are employees that affect the rate as well as \(NOT\)

I picked A .
carcass - this is a question we should skip ?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 28
GPA: 3.86
Send PM
The answer is D. The last line of the question stem is the key to solving. The on-time overnight delivery ranking of the other five companies relative to each other remained unchanged. This means that the delivery companies were handling roughly the similar distribution of workload. If Unlimited postal failed to make deliveries in Feb, then this would cause it to slip to the last ranking.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts