Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:44 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:44

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [0]
Given Kudos: 10
WE:Project Management (Retail)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A group consists of m equally efficient workers. A piece of [#permalink]
A group consists of m equally efficient workers. A piece of work was started by one of them. The \(p^th\) worker (where \(2\leq\)p \(\leq m\)) joined the work (p - 1)x days after the \((p-1)^th\) worker joined. The work was completed in mx days after the \(m^th\) worker joined. The \(1^st\) worker received a share of $5500 out of the total $38500 paid to the group for completing the work. Find m.

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 22
e. 23

Source - T.I.M.E CAT'11 Series
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 66 [1]
Send PM
A shopkeeper mixes three varieties of rice costing Rs.10, Rs [#permalink]
Kudos
A shopkeeper mixes three varieties of rice costing Rs.10, Rs.12 and Rs.17 per Kilogram. Which of the following represents the ratio in which the three varieties are mixed, if the shopkeeper makes a profit of 20% by selling the miture at Rs.15.60 per kilogram?

a. 9:14:36
b. 11:14:25
c. 14:36:43
d. 2:6:3
e. None of the above

Intern
Intern
Send PM
A person invested a sum of $91.30. In how many years will th [#permalink]
A person invested a sum of $91.30. In how many years will the sum become $5000, if it is compounded every moment at the rate of 100% per annum? (given e = 2.72)

a. 2
b. 4.5
c. 6
d. 1
e. 4

e-GMAT Representative
Own Kudos [?]: 30789 [0]
Given Kudos: 635
GMAT Date: 08-19-2020
Send PM
Re: A shopkeeper mixes three varieties of rice costing Rs.10, Rs [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pariearth wrote:
A shopkeeper mixes three varieties of rice costing Rs.10, Rs.12 and Rs.17 per Kilogram. Which of the following represents the ratio in which the three varieties are mixed, if the shopkeeper makes a profit of 20% by selling the miture at Rs.15.60 per kilogram?

a. 9:14:36
b. 11:14:25
c. 14:36:43
d. 2:6:3
e. None of the above

At first, we calculate the CP of mixture. CP = [SP/(100+% profit)]*100 = 15.60*100/120 = 13/-.

Now, look at the cost prices of 3 varieties of rices. These CPs are 10, 12, and 17. The mixture CP=13 is closest to II variety of rice (12). [Concept of weighted average]
We can infer that among all 3 varieties, II variety ratio would be highest. Clearly, options A, B, & C are eliminated, because in all 3 options III variety ratio is highest. So the answer would be either D or E. Let's try with option D.

As per option D. CP of mixture would be.. =(2*10+6*12*3*17)/(2+6+3) = 13. It means option D is the correct answer. :)

For more on weighted average, pl. attempt these questions.
what-you-choose-is-what-you-weigh-143895.html
a-fresh-tricky-ta-dataset-on-weighted-average-146116.html

-Shalabh
Intern
Intern
Send PM
The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C [#permalink]
The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C, D, E & F. The arrows indicate permissible direction of travel. What is the number of distinct paths from A to F?

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 12
e. 8

Source - T.I.M.E. CAT'11 Series
Attachments

Network.jpg
Network.jpg [ 85.71 KiB | Viewed 3505 times ]

Originally posted by pariearth on 21 Jan 2013, 04:13.
Last edited by pariearth on 22 Jan 2013, 04:26, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Re: A person borrowed a certain sum at the rate of 20% per annum [#permalink]
hey hw many questions do we actually have here?

Posted from my mobile device
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Re: The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pariearth wrote:
The figure below shows the network connecting cities A, B, C, D, E & F. The arrows indicate permissible direction of travel. What is the number of distinct paths from A to F?

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 12
e. 8

What about the lines which have no arrows? Are both directions permissible there?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="VeritasPrepKarishmaWhat about the lines which have no arrows? Are both directions permissible there?[/quote]

Sorry there was a technical problem...the correct figure for this question is uploaded again.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
chiccufrazer1 wrote:
hey hw many questions do we actually have here?

Hy,
A new question is added here daily...

-Pari

Originally posted by pariearth on 22 Jan 2013, 04:28.
Last edited by pariearth on 22 Jan 2013, 04:34, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Re: [#permalink]
In a three digit number, the difference between its hundreds digit and its tens digit is equal to the difference between its tens digit and its units digit. Also the sum of the digits is 9. How many numbers are possible which satisfy the given condition?

a. 6
b. 7
c. 8
d. 9
f. 10

Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [0]
Send PM
Re: In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the poin [#permalink]
Expert Reply
pariearth wrote:
In the following figure find angle ACB. Given C is the point of contact of two circles and A, B are the points of contact of the common tangent PP1 to the two circles.
(Find figure in the attched file)
a. 60
b. 90
c. 120
d. 89
e. Cannot be determined

Source: T.I.M.E- CAT'11 Series

As you have mentioned, this question is CAT relevant. The study material of CAT and that of GMAT are quite different. Although basic concepts are the same, it is not advisable to use CAT material for GMAT because it complicates things for no reason. There are a ton of things you need to 'know' for CAT which you don't need for GMAT. Your starting point in a CAT question is much ahead of your starting point in a GMAT question. Hence, this question isn't very relevant as far as GMAT is concerned.

Nevertheless, if you do get something like this, remember that you can solve by making the diagram according to your needs in PS questions.
Make the two circles equal so that you can easily see the required angle. Mind you, GMAT doesn't have 'cannot be determined' as an option.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 8.87 KiB | Viewed 3480 times ]

You can see that it is an isosceles triangle with the ratio of the sides as \(\sqrt{2}R:\sqrt{2}R:2R i.e. 1:1:\sqrt{2}\). Hence it must be a right triangle and the required angle must be 90 degrees.

If the required angle is 90 in this case, it will be 90 no matter how you draw the diagram.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pariearth wrote:

a. 9
b. 10
c. 11
d. 12
e. 8

Just make a tree quickly.
From A you can take 2 different paths - B or D.
From B you can take 4 different paths - C, F, E, D.
From D you can either go to C or E and so on.
Continue till you reach F in every arm.

Attachment:
Ques3.jpg
Ques3.jpg [ 10.5 KiB | Viewed 3435 times ]

Each F at the end will be reached through a different route.
Count the Fs at the end. You get 10 different routes.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
A father starts from home at 3:00p.m. to pick his son from s [#permalink]
A father starts from home at 3:00p.m. to pick his son from school at 4:00p.m. One day the school got over early, at 3:00p.m. The son started walking towards home. He met his father on the way and both returned home 15 minutes earlier than the usual time. If the speed of the father is 35 km per hour, find the speed of the son (in km/hr).

a. 4
b. 5
c. 6
d. 7
e. 8

OA:
Intern
Intern
Send PM
[quote="VeritasPrepKarishma
As you have mentioned, this question is CAT relevant. The study material of CAT and that of GMAT are quite different. Although basic concepts are the same, it is not advisable to use CAT material for GMAT because it complicates things for no reason. There are a ton of things you need to 'know' for CAT which you don't need for GMAT. Your starting point in a CAT question is much ahead of your starting point in a GMAT question. Hence, this question isn't very relevant as far as GMAT is concerned.[/quote]

Dear Karishma,
I do agree with you on the above fact and I would be very thankful to you if you could give a comparision between the Verbal section of GMAT & CAT as well as the IR section of GMAT with DI section of CAT. I am particularly tensned about the IR section. Since I have given CAT once, I know its reasoning section is highly tricky and tough. So do I need to put in the same level of effort for IR section??
Thanks in advance...
-Pari
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64907 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
pariearth wrote:
[quote="VeritasPrepKarishma
As you have mentioned, this question is CAT relevant. The study material of CAT and that of GMAT are quite different. Although basic concepts are the same, it is not advisable to use CAT material for GMAT because it complicates things for no reason. There are a ton of things you need to 'know' for CAT which you don't need for GMAT. Your starting point in a CAT question is much ahead of your starting point in a GMAT question. Hence, this question isn't very relevant as far as GMAT is concerned.

Dear Karishma,
I do agree with you on the above fact and I would be very thankful to you if you could give a comparision between the Verbal section of GMAT & CAT as well as the IR section of GMAT with DI section of CAT. I am particularly tensned about the IR section. Since I have given CAT once, I know its reasoning section is highly tricky and tough. So do I need to put in the same level of effort for IR section??
Thanks in advance...
-Pari[/quote]

The two tests are not very comparable but I can give you my thoughts.

Verbal Comparison -
RC is similar in both the tests though I feel GMAT RCs are easier on average.
GMAT has CR which is not there in CAT. It's very logical and easy to get through using reasoning skills.
The SC section is tougher in GMAT than any section that tests grammar in CAT.

The IR section of GMAT is very new and hence untested. The questions will not be very tough. Once you get the hang of what to do in them, they should be fairly easy - certainly much easier than some DI questions that CAT can throw at you. Try some IR sample questions here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/integra ... questions/

The point is, GMAT needs logic and reasoning. If your concepts are clear, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to figure the questions. CAT is a much harder test since you need to 'know' a lot of things.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
The two tests are not very comparable but I can give you my thoughts.

Verbal Comparison -
RC is similar in both the tests though I feel GMAT RCs are easier on average.
GMAT has CR which is not there in CAT. It's very logical and easy to get through using reasoning skills.
The SC section is tougher in GMAT than any section that tests grammar in CAT.

The IR section of GMAT is very new and hence untested. The questions will not be very tough. Once you get the hang of what to do in them, they should be fairly easy - certainly much easier than some DI questions that CAT can throw at you. Try some IR sample questions here: https://www.gmatclub.com/forum/veritas-prep-resource-links-no-longer-available-399979.html#/integra ... questions/

The point is, GMAT needs logic and reasoning. If your concepts are clear, there is no reason you wouldn't be able to figure the questions. CAT is a much harder test since you need to 'know' a lot of things.

Thanks a ton!! really helpful.......
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Find the area of a regular pentagon whose side is 20 cm, given Cot \({36}[/deg]\)= 1.376.

a. 542 sq.cm
b. 544 sq.cm
c. 688 sq.cm
d. 764 sq.cm
e. 866 sq.cm
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   
Moderator:
Math Expert
92904 posts