Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 00:54 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 00:54

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5420 [31]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [8]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
General Discussion
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [1]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [2]
Given Kudos: 479
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
Schools: Duke '16 (M)
Send PM
Re: In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania [#permalink]
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
whats wrong with A folks..

is the presence of 'was' instead of 'were' an issue?

out of the 2 constructions:

A.) "there were substantial supplies of coal that was"
AND
E.) "substantial supplies of coal were"

the second construction is much better; says the same thing in fewer words.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 2467 [3]
Given Kudos: 185
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
Send PM
Re: In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Sachin9 wrote:
whats wrong with A folks..

is the presence of 'was' instead of 'were' an issue?

Yes singular verb 'was' contradicts with plural noun "supplies of coal".

Also (A) uses wordier construction than (E)
(A) Wordier: there were substantial supplies of coal that was
(E) Concise: substantial supplies of coal were
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 440 [0]
Given Kudos: 166
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 600 Q48 V25
GMAT 2: 660 Q50 V29
GMAT 3: 690 Q49 V34
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
I believe (A) is the answer, even though (A) is wordier than (E)

"substantial supplies of coal were exported" or "the coal was exported" ? Obviously the coal was exported not the supplies ...

What is the OA?
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4467 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Practicegmat wrote:
I believe (A) is the answer, even though (A) is wordier than (E)

"substantial supplies of coal were exported" or "the coal was exported" ? Obviously the coal was exported not the supplies ...

What is the OA?

Just coal can mean anything i.e. in small quantity as well as in large quantity. The logic of the sentence asks for the coal in large quantity. Also, in A "that" modifies "substantial supplies of coal" and not "coal".
Regards.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 523 [1]
Given Kudos: 916
Send PM
Kudos
In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was exported to the nation’s growing mills, forges, factories, and railways.

A. when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were
substantial supplies of coal that was
B. once canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there were
substantial supplies of coal having been
C. with canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there had been
substantial supplies of coal
D. canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, with substantial supplies
of coal being
E. as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, substantial supplies of
coal were

the focus of meaning in A is changed. A is considered the distorted meaning.

when the canale reached, there were something

is the focus of meaning in A.

in E,

comma+with phrase is absolute structure which provide the context for main clause, in this case, "coalfield open and canal reached" . E means
in the context that the export rises, coalfield opened. This is not logic.

E is typical wrong answer which is grammatical but contains meaning problem. absolute phrase modifying wrongly the main clause is the favorite of gmat. this situation happen often in og and gmatprep.

gmat distort the logic meaning relation into the distorted meaning relation to test out ability to convey the intended meaning or the right focus of meaning.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [1]
Given Kudos: 66
Schools: IIMA
Send PM
Kudos
E is answer, as in A (S-V error )

there were substantial supplies of coal that was -should be were
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [1]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Kudos
In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was exported to the nation’s growing mills, forges, factories, and railways.

A. when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that was - subject verb agreement issue - supplies of coal needs was
B. once canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal having been - usage of having been
C. with canals and eventually railroads reaching into the region, there had been substantial supplies of coal - usage of past perfect
D. canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, with substantial supplies of coal being - usage of being
E. as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, substantial supplies of coal were - Correct

Answer E
1. In case of option A, how do we determine whether THAT refers to coal or supplies of coal? Because both of them make sense to me.

2. Also, if change A to "when canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, there were substantial supplies of coal that were", even then it will be inferior to option E?

3. Also, can you highlight the difference between when and as here?

AjiteshArun , GMATNinja , MagooshExpert , GMATGuruNY , VeritasKarishma , ChiranjeevSingh , VeritasPrepBrian , MartyMurray , daagh , ccooley , other experts - please enlighten
Verbal Forum Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 8808 [0]
Given Kudos: 171
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
MartyMurray wrote:
1. In case of option A, how do we determine whether THAT refers to coal or supplies of coal? Because both of them make sense to me.

Since "that" is placed directly after "coal", it seems likely that "that" refers to "coal." Then, the fact that the singular verb "was" agrees with the singular "coal" and not with the plural "supplies" serves to confirm that "that" refers to coal rather than to "supplies."

Hi MartyMurray,
Thank you for your prompt response. So can we generalize as "whenever the verb that follows modifier THAT(or which) makes sense with both the preceding noun(supplies here) and the object of the prepositional phrase(coal here), then it MUST refer to the noun in the prepositional phrase because of its proximity?

..... X of Y that Z or ..... X of Y, which Z (where Z is the verb) --> If Z makes sense with both X and Y, then it must refer to Y.

Then, the fact that the singular verb "was" agrees with the singular noun "coal" and not with the plural "supplies" serves to confirm that "that" refers to coal rather than to "supplies. --> If the verb (was in this case) was not a part of the underlined portion of the sentence, then I understand we can infer that subject must match with the verb, but here the verb too is in the underlined part.

So, can we use the subject-verb agreement to confirm our assumption that "coal" is the subject of THAT clause?

I understand that the structure in A "there were substantial supplies..." is awkward and indirect. So this was the ONLY reason you chose it over E?
Target Test Prep Representative
Affiliations: Target Test Prep
Own Kudos [?]: 5134 [1]
Given Kudos: 1431
GMAT 1: 800 Q51 V51
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Skywalker18 wrote:
MartyMurray wrote:

Since "that" is placed directly after "coal", it seems likely that "that" refers to "coal." Then, the fact that the singular verb "was" agrees with the singular "coal" and not with the plural "supplies" serves to confirm that "that" refers to coal rather than to "supplies."

Hi MartyMurray,
Thank you for your prompt response. So can we generalize as "whenever the verb that follows modifier THAT(or which) makes sense with both the preceding noun(supplies here) and the object of the prepositional phrase(coal here), then it MUST refer to the noun in the prepositional phrase because of its proximity?

..... X of Y that Z or ..... X of Y, which Z (where Z is the verb) --> If Z makes sense with both X and Y, then it must refer to Y.

You probably shouldn't make that generalization. Answering SC questions tends to be about making judgement calls. So, while, yes, it is likely that what you said would work most of the time, I would not codify it and consider it some kind of "rule." Why even bother?

Do what is logical, and make judgement calls AS APPROPRIATE FOR EACH SITUATION.

Then, the fact that the singular verb "was" agrees with the singular noun "coal" and not with the plural "supplies" serves to confirm that "that" refers to coal rather than to "supplies. --> If the verb (was in this case) was not a part of the underlined portion of the sentence, then I understand we can infer that subject must match with the verb, but here the verb too is in the underlined part.

So, can we use the subject-verb agreement to confirm our assumption that "coal" is the subject of THAT clause?

That method works for determining what the underlined portion indicates in this case. However, if the non-underlined portion is in disagreement with what the underlined portion indicates, as it is to a degree in this case,then the sentence is in disagreement with itself, and therefore flawed. Once again, you have to determine whether the whole sentence works, rather than look at a little piece of it and attempt to apply some rule that you have heard about or come up with.

Rocking Sentence Correction is not a robotic, rules based activity. The question writers constantly come up with new twists. You have to make judgement calls on a case by case basis. Yes, some rules matter, but attempting to codify every little thing is not your best move.

You seem to have a good sense of what makes sense. To learn to rock SC, you could develop your skill in applying your sense of logic to answering SC questions.

I understand that the structure in A "there were substantial supplies..." is awkward and indirect. So this was the ONLY reason you chose it over E?

(E) is better than (A) because of what you just said, because "as" is a little better than "when", and because "supplies ... were exported" makes much more sense than does "supplies of coal that was exported". What does that last phrase even mean? Think about it. "There were supplies of coal that was exported." What??? So, the supplies are of exported coal only? It's a nonsensical string of words.

Responses in green above.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Given Kudos: 288
GMAT 1: 680 Q50 V31
Send PM
MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun
Can you please brief about and in the question I cannot relate the parallelism here
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
Send PM
Hi Can anyone explain the flaws in option C ?
CEO
CEO
Own Kudos [?]: 3528 [1]
Given Kudos: 149
Schools: ISB
GPA: 3.31
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
abhishek31 wrote:
Hi Can anyone explain the flaws in option C ?

Hi Abhishek, option C uses past perfect tense (had been).

Past perfect tense is used when two events happen one after the other, in which case, the earlier of the two events is expressed as past perfect.

In this sentence however, past perfect construct is not justified.
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [2]
Given Kudos: 629
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
GMAT 1: 780 Q50 V51
GRE 1: Q170 V169
Send PM
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
MartyTargetTestPrep AjiteshArun
Can you please brief about and in the question I cannot relate the parallelism here
Sure. Firstly, the intended meaning of the sentence: coalfields opened in X in the 1820s, and as "connectivity" (canals and railroads) was established, lots of coal was sent from X (exported) to different places.

Now let's take a look at what the correct option gives us:

In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, substantial supplies of coal were exported to the nation’s A, B, C, and D.

The as canals and eventually railroads... bit is positioned well, as it is meant to modify the second clause (substantial supplies...), but you could move it to the end of the sentence if you want:

In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and substantial supplies of coal were exported to the nation’s A, B, C, and D as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [0]
Send PM
AjiteshArun
I thought that won't be parallel since the first part of and contain verbed modifier opened so how's that parallel ?
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun
I thought that won't be parallel since the first part of and contain verbed modifier opened so how's that parallel ?
Let's take a look at all the -eds in the sentence:

In the 1820’s, anthracite coalfields opened in eastern Pennsylvania, and as canals and eventually railroads reached into the region, substantial supplies of coal were exported to the nation’s A, B, C, and D.

1. coalfields opened...
Opened is the verb for coalfields.

2. canals and railroads reached...
Reached is the verb for canals and railroads.

3. supplies were exported...
Were exported is the verb for supplies.

So in a quick example like the restaurant opened last night and invitations were sent to X, Y, and Z, the and joins two clauses.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 41 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
AjiteshArun
How can we differentiate whether -eds in the sentence is verb or verbed ?
I just check whether coalfields is the doer of the action opened so I considered opened verbed modifier.
I thought was opened will be appropriate to consider it as verb.
Same in the restaurant e.g the restaurant is not doing the action of opening so I would have made the mistake of considering it verbed
Please tell me how should I check whether ed is verb or modifier .
GMAT Club Legend
GMAT Club Legend
Own Kudos [?]: 4653 [0]
GMAT Focus 1:
715 Q83 V90 DI83
Send PM
Expert Reply
teaserbae wrote:
AjiteshArun
How can we differentiate whether -eds in the sentence is verb or verbed ?
I just check whether coalfields is the doer of the action opened so I considered opened verbed modifier.
I thought was opened will be appropriate to consider it as verb.
Same in the restaurant e.g the restaurant is not doing the action of opening so I would have made the mistake of considering it verbed
Please tell me how should I check whether ed is verb or modifier .
You're on the right track. It's just that we need to account for this (other) meaning (#1 under intransitive verb) of the verb open in this case. When open is used with an object, it could mean that thing was opened, was you pointed out. However, it can also be used without an object, in which case it just means that something like a company or institution started.

He opened a restaurant.
Opened is the verb for he.

A restaurant opened in our neighborhood.
It's possible to use opened this way as well.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts