Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 10:55 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 10:55

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [74]
Given Kudos: 130
Most Helpful Reply
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [22]
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32877 [5]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
General Discussion
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 295 [2]
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
Re: Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command [#permalink]
Kudos
I just couldn't convince myself that so sweeping was correct...that sounds terrible.
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [0]
Expert Reply
skiingforthewknds wrote:
I just couldn't convince myself that so sweeping was correct...that sounds terrible.

Dear skiingforthewknds,
With all due respect, this is why it's vitally important to do high-brow reading in preparation for the GMAT. If your ear is tuned, say, to the level of grammar present in most modern media, then you are completely set up to make a sizable number of errors on the GMAT SC simply by following your ear, and many fully correct grammatical structures will sound "wrong" as well. It's very important to "re-train" your ear in correct grammar ---- the GMAT SC is designed to excoriate folks who uncritically trust what they hear in colloquial English.
Does this make sense?
Mike :-)
Retired Moderator
Affiliations: National Institute of Technology, Durgapur
Own Kudos [?]: 1899 [4]
Given Kudos: 92
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Health Care)
Send PM
Bookmarks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 90 [1]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Kudos
skiingforthewknds wrote:

Great question!

....so sweeping.... sounds terrible for me as well (however, i'm not a native speaker, so could be wrong).
Mike, thanks for your advice re high-brow reading!

But I guess the author of this question realised this and intentionally pasted 5 different options to the second part of the sentence (correspondence with / correspondence to etc).
And four out of these five could be rather easily eliminated. So, in my opinion, this question could be answered even w/o analysing the first construction
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 74 [0]
Given Kudos: 46
Send PM
Got the right answer but confused by the usage of the word correspond. What does this sentence mean anyway Mike ?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 70 [2]
Given Kudos: 27
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
mikemcgarry wrote:
Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to him.
(A) such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to
(B) such a sweeping command in World War I that no single WWII general would be a correspondence with
(C) so sweeping a command in World War I as no single WWII general would be corresponding to
(D) so sweeping a command in World War I that no single WWII general corresponds to
(E) such a sweeping command in World War I because no single WWII general corresponds with

In this sentence about Blackjack Pershing, the same root word appears in noun & verb forms (correspondence, corresponds, corresponding). For a full discussion of this frequent SC issue, as well as a complete explanation of the sentence above, see:
https://magoosh.com/gmat/2013/active-verbs-on-the-gmat/

pls, confirm my idea following
A. to talk of result the idiom is "such ... that" . this is not idiom
B. after "such... that" we can not use "would". PLS ADVISE WHAT TENSE WE USE IN SUCH.. THAT CLAUSE.
C. "so...that" is idiom. this is not idiom
E, the causal relation is not correct inhere
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [5]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
vietmoi999 wrote:
mikemcgarry wrote:
Five-star General John Pershing had such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to him.
(A) such a sweeping command in World War I as no single WWII general is a correspondence to
(B) such a sweeping command in World War I that no single WWII general would be a correspondence with
(C) so sweeping a command in World War I as no single WWII general would be corresponding to
(D) so sweeping a command in World War I that no single WWII general corresponds to
(E) such a sweeping command in World War I because no single WWII general corresponds with

In this sentence about Blackjack Pershing, the same root word appears in noun & verb forms (correspondence, corresponds, corresponding). For a full discussion of this frequent SC issue, as well as a complete explanation of the sentence above, see:

pls, confirm my idea following
A. to talk of result the idiom is "such ... that" . this is not idiom
B. after "such... that" we can not use "would". PLS ADVISE WHAT TENSE WE USE IN SUCH.. THAT CLAUSE.
C. "so...that" is idiom. this is not idiom
E, the causal relation is not correct inhere

Dear vietmoi999,
I'm happy to respond. :-) On (A) & (C) & (E), you are 100% correct. In (B), there is no rule about a "that" clause and verb tense --- we simply have to use the verb tense relevant to the situation. If we were talking hypothetically, say about a future war, then we might use "would." WWII was a long time ago, and all the achievements of those generals is well known at this point. There is absolutely nothing hypothetical, speculative, or ambiguous about what those folks accomplished. That's why "would" is wrong. Here, we are taking about a correspondence, a pattern of matching, and this pattern is something we are perceiving in the present moment, so the present tense --- "does correspond" or simply "corresponds" is perfectly correct.

Does all this make sense?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 30 [0]
Given Kudos: 296
Schools: Mannheim"17
GMAT 1: 680 Q49 V31
GPA: 3.44
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:
skiingforthewknds wrote:

Dear skiingforthewknds,
With all due respect, this is why it's vitally important to do high-brow reading in preparation for the GMAT. If your ear is tuned, say, to the level of grammar present in most modern media, then you are completely set up to make a sizable number of errors on the GMAT SC simply by following your ear, and many fully correct grammatical structures will sound "wrong" as well. It's very important to "re-train" your ear in correct grammar ---- the GMAT SC is designed to excoriate folks who uncritically trust what they hear in colloquial English.
Does this make sense?

Going by grammar

since had is there therefore we want a past action in any other part of sentence
also I have read that with present=will and with past=would

I didnt find any past tense in all 5 sentences so went with B because it atleast used would.

Mike Please acknowledge
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]
Bookmarks
Expert Reply
RatneshS wrote:
Going by grammar

since had is there therefore we want a past action in any other part of sentence
also I have read that with present=will and with past=would

I didnt find any past tense in all 5 sentences so went with B because it atleast used would.

Mike Please acknowledge

Dear RatneshS,
I'm happy to respond. :-)

Unfortunately, (B) is not the correct answer. It is grammatically correct, but it has logical and rhetorical issues. Folks often mistakenly think that the GMAT SC is a solely a test of grammar. In fact, grammar and logic and rhetoric are three equally important strands, and on official questions, many incorrect answer are 100% grammatically correct but have logical or rhetorical issues.

Verb tense is not a particularly good indicator in this instance. You see, the actions of these generals were all in the past, but the logical pattern, the correspondence, is something that still exists today. For example, we can say, "Ataturk corresponds to George Washington in the primary significance he has for the country he founded." The two men, Ataturk and Washington, are long dead, but the significance they have for their respective countries and the logical relationship between them is one that still exists.

When we say, "P corresponds to Q," we are saying that there a logical pattern of matching that joins them. It is 100% incorrect to say, "P is a correspondence to Q," because then we are identifying the person P with the abstract logical pattern of matching. This is the problem with choice (B) in this question. We are saying no general, no human being, is a correspondence, an abstract pattern of matching. This is illogical and it sounds awkward.

The best answer here is (D). Please let me know if you have any further questions.

RSM Erasmus Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 1360 [0]
Given Kudos: 641
Concentration: Operations, Strategy
Schools: Erasmus (II)
Send PM
mikemcgarry wrote:

Hi Mike,

Although I was able to solve the sentence correctly, I'd like your support to understand a construction appeared in choice D.

Regardless of construction 'SO/Such X that Y', I do not understand the construction 'sweeping a command'. Usually the construction is 'a + adjective+ noun' but in Choice D, it is 'adjective+ a + noun'. When is the latter construction is correct?

Thanks
Magoosh GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 28572 [1]