Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 20:46 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 20:46

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 5422 [16]
Given Kudos: 40
WE 1: 3.5 yrs IT
WE 2: 2.5 yrs Retail chain
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [6]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
General Discussion
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 3224 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32870 [0]
Given Kudos: 4453
Send PM
Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored in an obsolete format [#permalink]
I feel it's C

B is tempting but even if the company doesn't store the new data in a computer format then the problem of the old system is not solved
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [1]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Re: Mannis Corporation's archival records are stored in an obsolete format [#permalink]
Kudos
carcass wrote:
I feel it's C

B is tempting but even if the company doesn't store the new data in a computer format then the problem of the old system is not solved

I fell for the same trap.But if you negate Answer choice D, the argument does fall apart.

The obsolete format IS NOT TRANSFERABLE to a new system, therefore, the proposed plan will not work.
Board of Directors
Send PM
jgomey wrote:
carcass wrote:
I feel it's C

I fell for the same trap.But if you negate Answer choice D, the argument does fall apart.

The obsolete format IS NOT TRANSFERABLE to a new system, therefore, the proposed plan will not work.

wait a second dude the argument fall apart is something different from evaluate the argument. Because the first one is the strategy used in assumption question.

Here we have to evaluate the argment so we have to strenght and weaken the argument conclusion at the same time. be careful

Conclusion: Mannis plans to replace its current computer system with a new system that stores records in a format that is accessible to several different systems.

If the new PCs are a mega mainframe Matrix -like ok we have to do that as oon as possible. But if we know that we do not have the possibility to have a new server farm what are we weakening ?? for sure we still have the problem of data loss.......
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Send PM
My Bad. You are correct.

Nevertheless, the transferability issue can strengthen or weaken. For example, The data CANNOT be transferred to new systems>>>Argument is weakened. On the other hand, the data CAN be transferred >>> Argument is strengthened.

My point earlier was that the transferability of the data is a possible assumption, which can either strengthen or weaken the argument.

What do you think?
Board of Directors
Send PM
Ok man I'm trying to really understand the argument at end and playing hard

Few facts: evaluate the argument strenght and weaken the argument at the same time. Strenght do not destroy the conclusion as weel as weaken.

Now if I can't transfer the data we assume that we do not need to transfer them and our PCs work fine; but this sort of inference in my opinion go completely against the argument that we know saying that computer now or tomorrow or next century will fail.

now look at this question what is your choice

Quote:
With less than 20 per cent market share, Cherico Airline has been steadily losing ground to other
competing airlines. However, the recent addition of the Dreamliner aircraft to its fleet might just
turn the tide for Cherico. The Dreamliner claims 15 per cent more fuel efficiency than competing
similar aircrafts and cheaper maintenance costs. With the induction of these planes, Cherico will
get a competitive advantage over its more aggressive rivals, which will be saddled with older
aircrafts and get deliveries of their own Dreamliners only in 2014.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether it is possible for Cherico to cut costs even more by reducing the number of
stewards in the air plane

(B) Whether it is possible for Cherico to improve the Dreamliner’s fuel efficiency even further by
restricting the amount of luggage passengers can carry

(C) Whether Cherico can increase its revenues by charging for the meals it serves in its aircrafts

(D) Whether the Dreamliner’s maintenance costs will be substantially lower than those of
Cherico’s rivals’ aircrafts

(E) Whether it will be possible for Cherico’s rivals to somehow get deliveries of their own
Dreamliners expedited

I'm assuming, in addition, that our question is official material and the answer is D
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
carcass wrote:
Ok man I'm trying to really understand the argument at end and playing hard

Few facts: evaluate the argument strenght and weaken the argument at the same time. Strenght do not destroy the conclusion as weel as weaken.

Now if I can't transfer the data we assume that we do not need to transfer them and our PCs work fine; but this sort of inference in my opinion go completely against the argument that we know saying that computer now or tomorrow or next century will fail.

now look at this question what is your choice

Quote:
With less than 20 per cent market share, Cherico Airline has been steadily losing ground to other
competing airlines. However, the recent addition of the Dreamliner aircraft to its fleet might just
turn the tide for Cherico. The Dreamliner claims 15 per cent more fuel efficiency than competing
similar aircrafts and cheaper maintenance costs. With the induction of these planes, Cherico will
get a competitive advantage over its more aggressive rivals, which will be saddled with older
aircrafts and get deliveries of their own Dreamliners only in 2014.

Which of the following would it be most useful to determine in order to evaluate the argument?

(A) Whether it is possible for Cherico to cut costs even more by reducing the number of
stewards in the air plane

(B) Whether it is possible for Cherico to improve the Dreamliner’s fuel efficiency even further by
restricting the amount of luggage passengers can carry

(C) Whether Cherico can increase its revenues by charging for the meals it serves in its aircrafts

(D) Whether the Dreamliner’s maintenance costs will be substantially lower than those of
Cherico’s rivals’ aircrafts

(E) Whether it will be possible for Cherico’s rivals to somehow get deliveries of their own
Dreamliners expedited

I'm assuming, in addition, that our question is official material and the answer is D

Ok. I will go with C as the answer to the question you listed *crossing my fingers*

Let me know If I am right.

So back to the original question.

The issue ,IMO, is that the antiquated archive format is only on 1 system, SO if that systems fails, the company is screwed and will no longer have access to the data.

To hedge against such an event, they will place the information on a new system that can be accessed by multiple terminals. So if one terminal fails, the data can be accessed from another terminal.

STOP!!!

We are assuming that the antiquated format CAN be transferred to the new system, which CAN be accessed by multiple terminals.

What if the data cannot be transferred? If such is the case, then the proposal makes no sense, and should not move forward.

But

What if the data CAN be transferred? If such is the case, the proposal does make sense, and should move forward.

Bottom line, the transferability of the antiquated format is a deal breaker..

What are your thoughts?
Board of Directors
Send PM
OK you win :) good reasons

By the way the OA for the aformentioned question is E ;)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 47 [0]
Given Kudos: 214
GMAT 1: 620 Q48 V29
Send PM
carcass wrote:
I feel it's C

in this way we are attacking the premise. It is given that that the data is stored in computer.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 606 [0]
Given Kudos: 1063
Send PM
I mistook readily for easily.
So I found none of the answers attractive and unwillingly picked B :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
KarishmaB GMATNinja

I could not understand why option D is correct in this one.

I say the records can't be readily transferred to the new system. My thinking was, so what? It's not readily transfereable, fine. But still, it is can be transferred even if it takes some more time right? If not readily(quickly), we can still transfer it so the plan is good to go.

Is there anything wrong with my approach?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64904 [0]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
Expert Reply
muralis18 wrote:
KarishmaB GMATNinja

I could not understand why option D is correct in this one.

I say the records can't be readily transferred to the new system. My thinking was, so what? It's not readily transfereable, fine. But still, it is can be transferred even if it takes some more time right? If not readily(quickly), we can still transfer it so the plan is good to go.

Is there anything wrong with my approach?

We need to evaluate "the effectiveness of the plan as a means of retaining access to the archival records"

Option (D) is the only one to consider the access to archival records by the new system.
If it will be difficult to move the archives to the new system, then the effectiveness of the plan could be in question.
The best option out of the given options is (D).
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts