Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [2]
Given Kudos: 0
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Time is moving so slow, I have normal stats, nothing special but I was told I have a very unique story and background and I have good chances at HBS. Now I have noticed two spelling mistakes on my application, Am I out? how serious do they take these typos??
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [1]
Kudos
Mahmoud80 wrote:
Time is moving so slow, I have normal stats, nothing special but I was told I have a very unique story and background and I have good chances at HBS. Now I have noticed two spelling mistakes on my application, Am I out? how serious do they take these typos??

Two spelling mistakes are not going to change your outcome, neither is something more major, like saying "I want to attend Stanford . . ." when you meant "HBS" --assuming the reasons are HBS related and not saying b.c. of the touchie feelie course and closeness to Silicon Valley.
SO don't worry about that. Even a red-faced spelling mistake like "cuntry" for "country" won't sink you, it has happened. To their credit, adcoms will get behind that and see what is under the hood in terms of stats, story, recs, and motives. If, however, sloppiness of app is reflective of not-caring in general or somehow synchs up with your resume, well, in those instances, just another reason to ding someone. Not saying that is you, but just saying.
If you want to outline your stats and story in some general way, happy to tell you what your chances are, I am the world's leading expert at that, see my stuff on Poets and Quants https://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/18/handicapping-your-shot-at-a-top-b-school/

Originally posted by hbsguru on 24 Jan 2013, 09:54.
Last edited by hbsguru on 25 Jan 2013, 09:27, edited 2 times in total.
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
Quote:
Hello hbsguru,

The following is an e-mail sent to you by via your account on "GMAT Club Forum".
Message sent to you follows
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
[As to your mock interveiw service for HBS ]
If I was lucky enough to get an invite on the 30th of Jan, when shall I schedule? how much prep takes.

Thank you

1. Make an appt for your interview with HBS
2. send me a resume and include date and time and place of interview.
3. I will suggest some times and dates.
4. We sched the interview, at some point you send me the entire HBS app you submitted, and that is the basis of the \
mock interview. Details are on my website,
https://www.hbsguru.com/prices.html#4good luck.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Mahmoud80 wrote:

Honestly, your 650 is really low for Harvard/Stanford. That should be your bigger concern.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM

Originally posted by MBANut on 24 Jan 2013, 17:18.
Last edited by MBANut on 09 Aug 2013, 03:48, edited 2 times in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 31 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
WE:Project Management (Real Estate)
Send PM
MBANut wrote:
Does anyone know of an instance when a candidate has been laid off due to company downsizing during the application process and was still admitted? As in, the person lost his/her job after the application has been submitted but before interviews? How should one manage such scenario? I expect that you would have to disclose this information during the interview but does the adcom expect you to have another job/opportunity lined up? It's also a sticky situation to be looking for a permanent position now when you're expecting to relocate in the summer to enroll in school. What's the ideal scenario in this case in the eyes of the adcom, if there even is one?

I'd say get into action and find a good job asap for 2 reasons.
1st there is no 100% confirmation that you will get admitted. In this case you will probably start looking for a job in March which may then look awkward to your prospective employer.
2nd if you get a job, you can boldly tell your interviewer that yes I got layed off because of downsizing which is very natural these days but I had the ability and the market demand to get reabsorbed by a more reputed (if possible) employer. This will certainly add more weight to it. Atleast to me it would.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 680 Q45 V38
Send PM
MBANut wrote:
Does anyone know of an instance when a candidate has been laid off due to company downsizing during the application process and was still admitted? As in, the person lost his/her job after the application has been submitted but before interviews? How should one manage such scenario? I expect that you would have to disclose this information during the interview but does the adcom expect you to have another job/opportunity lined up? It's also a sticky situation to be looking for a permanent position now when you're expecting to relocate in the summer to enroll in school. What's the ideal scenario in this case in the eyes of the adcom, if there even is one?

Definitely try to get something lined up. AdComs will probably think that if you were really good at your job, you should be able to get at least one other option.

If you actually get a job/offer you can still decide to take it or not (just tell them you'll let them know by whenever the admission decisions are released).

If you're 100% sure that you'll have something at the end of the summer (ie. you already are admitted to a school) you could also consider volunteering for a non-profit organization. But of course this would depend on you (do you like it) and your story (would it add value to your application).
Intern
Intern
Send PM
machichi wrote:
Mahmoud80 wrote:

Honestly, your 650 is really low for Harvard/Stanford. That should be your bigger concern.

I am actually very worried, Although I consulted with many experts and I was told it worths a shot consedering the rest of my profile, But I am still so scared of a ding, hopefully I will hear some good news on the 30th , that would ease the stress,
Also any one have information on how many applicants applied this round two ?
MBANut wrote:
Does anyone know of an instance when a candidate has
been laid off due to company downsizing during
the application process and was still admitted? As in, the person lost his/her
job after the application
has been submitted but before interviews?
How should one manage such scenario? I expect that you would have
to disclose this information during the interview but does the adcom expect you to
have another job/opportunity lined up? It's also a sticky situation to be looking for a permanent position now
when you're expecting to relocate in the summer to enroll in school.
What's the ideal scenario in this case in the eyes of the adcom, if there even is one?

The below is an excerpt from an AMAZING story in Poets and Quants which deals with exactly this issue,
a fly-on-wall account of the adcom at Rotman dealing with a very qualified candidate who was unemployed,
as you can see, the adcoms questions track most of the comments on this thread, and the bottom line seems to be,
it depends on candidate, prior job, and what your plans are

the entire story is a must read, it explains in detail how Rotman evaluates students by
interview, essays, etc. and how the adcom makes up their mind.
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/25/how-a-top-business-school-sifts-through-a-pile-of-mba-applicants/

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++
“I have Robert. He is 30 years old with six years of work experience.
He has a degree in economics from the London School of Economics.
He is a U.K. citizen. I interviewed him the other day on Skype, and I gave
him a 20 (the highest possible score) on the interview.”

“Oh, you had another great one!” affirms Cruz.

“Yes. I really liked him,” answers Paterson.

“Have you had other 20s?” wonders da Silva.

“Yes. I have had other 20s but he would be the best. He has a 780 GMAT.
He is 83% on his quant and 81% for integrative reasoning. His references are highly positive.
He is highly collaborative, extremely motivated, operates great with initiative,
he’s a valuable team player, a good listener and extremely personable. The only thing is he is currently unemployed.

The red flag is hoisted and the room, completely silent as Paterson described the candidate’s profile,
immediately comes alive. The questions from around the table are fired out like bullets from an assault weapon.

“For how long?” asks da Silva.

“Since June.”

“And why?” wonders da Silva. “What’s he doing?”

Several others chime in with similar questions.

“He left his job in asset trading because the firm in Switzerland was taken over and his job was deemed redundant.
He did have a job offer but turned it down because he realized he is not going to stay there.
He wants to pursue his MBA, and he hopes to do that in Toronto.
He just got married a couple of months ago and he and his wife do hope to make Toronto home.”

“Therefore Rotman,” smiles da Silva.

“So that’s Robert,” says Paterson. “I would like to see him get a scholarship. I know he’s not working right now but…”

Da Silva cuts in. “What did he say he was going to do between now and the start of the program?”

“He’s taking French courses right now and he’s speaking with the company that
offered him a job about doing some temporary consulting work,” replies Paterson.

“That’s good,” says Cruz.

“We had a similar candidate earlier in the year who you guys probably remember,” says da Silva.
“And one of the big decisions was let’s get Leigh’s perspective. She then said that she wants to see how this person would package the story for employers. Does he have presence?”

“He totally has presence,” Paterson offers. “He’s lovely.”

for the rest of the story, see

https://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/25/ho ... pplicants/
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Healthcare
Schools: HBS '18 (II)
GPA: 3.35
Send PM
Mahmoud80 wrote:
machichi wrote:
Mahmoud80 wrote:

I am actually very worried, Although I consulted with many experts and I was told it worths a shot consedering the rest of my profile, But I am still so scared of a ding, hopefully I will hear some good news on the 30th , that would ease the stress,
Also any one have information on how many applicants applied this round two ?

Historically, round 2 has the most applicants.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM

Originally posted by MBANut on 27 Jan 2013, 01:28.
Last edited by MBANut on 29 Jan 2013, 20:25, edited 1 time in total.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V40
Send PM
Just watched Rudy - I empathize with him.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Is it true that ~80% of R2 Invites go out tomorrow?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

Apparantly last year they sent 750 invites on the first date and 100 on the second date, I can not recall where I read that, but in general most invitation go out on the first date.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
naughtyelf2000 wrote:

According to the blog by Dee Leopold (https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/Pages ... ector.aspx):

OK, here's the plan for Round 2 interviews:

We will send out interview invitations on two dates: Wednesday, January 30 and Thursday, February 7.

Interview locations for Round 2 are: On-campus in Boston, London, Paris, Shanghai, Mumbai, Dubai, Sao Paulo, Palo Alto and New York City.

Detailed instructions for the sign-up process will be included in the interview invitation.

Interviews will be conducted between February 11 and March 8.

On February 7, all candidates not being invited to interview will be notified of their release.

So, there are two release dates for the invitations. In addition, looking back at previous years, the trend seems to be about 80% of the invites are sent out on the first day. Assuming that trend continues, I would assume that the answer to your question is: yes.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Thks guys..

Goog luck y'all!