Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 06:50 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 06:50

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [1]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
GMAT 1: 710 Q47 V41
GPA: 3.53
WE:Marketing (Real Estate)
Send PM
Re: Columbia 2013 (CBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
I got dinged by Columbia on Tuesday afternoon after an interview... have been moping around since and haven't wanted to post it on the forums. Sorry for the delay, and just for the record, here was my timeline:

Submitted: 11/26
Interview invite: 12/19
Interviewed: 1/11
Interview report submitted: 1/15
Decision: 1/22

I gotta say it really sucks. I'm currently 0-for-3, and feeling less and less optimistic about my chances of getting in anywhere. Especially after that interview at Columbia which was, frankly, unfriendly.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
TheFool wrote:
I got dinged by Columbia on Tuesday afternoon after an interview... have been moping around since and haven't wanted to post it on the forums. Sorry for the delay, and just for the record, here was my timeline:

I gotta say it really sucks. I'm currently 0-for-3, and feeling less and less optimistic about my chances of getting in anywhere. Especially after that interview at Columbia which was, frankly, unfriendly.

I'm sorry to hear that. It took 2 months after your interview feedback submission to get your decision? Wow...

May I ask you how your interview was unfriendly?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
redpringles wrote:
TheFool wrote:

I'm sorry to hear that. It took 2 months after your interview feedback submission to get your decision? Wow...

Actually it wasn't two months -- I caught that right after I posted and it's been edited above. Sorry about that!! Timeline was:

The first 50 minutes of the interview went fine. While the questions were tough ("give me a ballpark estimate of how many brand managers get hired every year" "Besides the six companies and three industries you mentioned that use brand management, what other companies recruit at Columbia for your desired field?").

I was answering them pretty well, I thought. But near the end the interviewer asked me how I chose him as my interview contact. I replied that I followed the instructions on Columbia's letter, which was to contact the first person on the list of three. He became visibly upset at this and told me that I had done it wrong: rather, I should have done research on all three Ambassadors and chose my contact that way, as in business you're supposed to vie for every advantage. I replied that while I agree in theory with that, I wasn't about to try and cross the admissions committee on this. He noted that someone he interviewed just the week prior had done this very thing, and had chosen him because they had a lot in common.
Then he started lecturing me about the importance of seizing the advantage in networking, noted that I'm competing against my fellow students "including the guy with two years' of experience at McKinsey who is just interviewing for fun, but who looks better on paper."

He then asked me why I was applying so late and to so few schools. I replied that I had applied to five schools and submitted my application to Columbia on November 20. He said that was too late and to too few schools, and didn't seem optimistic about my chances of getting in.

Honestly, none of his advice was bad or unwelcome (though I still disagree about not following Columbia's instructions), but the tone of the conversation took a very negative turn near the end. I'm not sure if I was unlucky, if I said the wrong thing, if he was trying to push my buttons or that's just his manner.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
WE:Other (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
TheFool wrote:
redpringles wrote:
TheFool wrote:

Actually it wasn't two months -- I caught that right after I posted and it's been edited above. Sorry about that!! Timeline was:

The first 50 minutes of the interview went fine. While the questions were tough ("give me a ballpark estimate of how many brand managers get hired every year" "Besides the six companies and three industries you mentioned that use brand management, what other companies recruit at Columbia for your desired field?").

I was answering them pretty well, I thought. But near the end the interviewer asked me how I chose him as my interview contact. I replied that I followed the instructions on Columbia's letter, which was to contact the first person on the list of three. He became visibly upset at this and told me that I had done it wrong: rather, I should have done research on all three Ambassadors and chose my contact that way, as in business you're supposed to vie for every advantage. I replied that while I agree in theory with that, I wasn't about to try and cross the admissions committee on this. He noted that someone he interviewed just the week prior had done this very thing, and had chosen him because they had a lot in common.
Then he started lecturing me about the importance of seizing the advantage in networking, noted that I'm competing against my fellow students "including the guy with two years' of experience at McKinsey who is just interviewing for fun, but who looks better on paper."

He then asked me why I was applying so late and to so few schools. I replied that I had applied to five schools and submitted my application to Columbia on November 20. He said that was too late and to too few schools, and didn't seem optimistic about my chances of getting in.

Honestly, none of his advice was bad or unwelcome (though I still disagree about not following Columbia's instructions), but the tone of the conversation took a very negative turn near the end. I'm not sure if I was unlucky, if I said the wrong thing, if he was trying to push my buttons or that's just his manner.

Wow - that's one heck of a story. Can others who have interviewed please shed some light on how much an anomaly this experience is? It seems over the top negative, enough that it makes me wonder whether the adcom wouldn't like to know that this is how interviewers are treating prospective students.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
TheFool wrote:

I'm amazed that you were given the estimation question in an interview for an MBA program... did you indicate you are in (and going for) consulting?

I went through many pages of CBS interview experience posts on clearadmit.com and don't remember any interviews like this... I'm sorry you had an interview like this, and for your ding :( I hope you have better luck with other interviews
Intern
Intern
Send PM
redpringles wrote:
TheFool wrote:

I'm amazed that you were given the estimation question in an interview for an MBA program... did you indicate you are in (and going for) consulting?

I went through many pages of CBS interview experience posts on clearadmit.com and don't remember any interviews like this... I'm sorry you had an interview like this, and for your ding :( I hope you have better luck with other interviews

Thanks, I hope so too!

I'm in marketing and communications right now, and hope to make a switch to marketing-brand management. So the questions about brand management weren't far afield at all. I have 'leadership' as a secondary interest because I've done a lot of speechwriting for CEOs and communicating change management messages, and I might be interested in keeping my hand in that during school, either for corporate marketing or shareholder-type communications.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 88 [0]
Given Kudos: 42
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GPA: 2.99
WE:Investment Banking (Investment Banking)
Send PM
TheFool wrote:
redpringles wrote:
TheFool wrote:

Thanks, I hope so too!

I'm in marketing and communications right now, and hope to make a switch to marketing-brand management. So the questions about brand management weren't far afield at all. I have 'leadership' as a secondary interest because I've done a lot of speechwriting for CEOs and communicating change management messages, and I might be interested in keeping my hand in that during school, either for corporate marketing or shareholder-type communications.

Wow, that story is ridiculous! I'm sorry to hear that was your experience Fool (ha sorry I just had to). If that had been me I probably would have gotten extremely defensive and angry. I interviewed about a week ago. I went with your thinking and picked the first person on the list because that is what they said to do. My interviewer was perfectly nice, if not a tad standoffish. But I'm not trying to make a new friend here, she is simply there taking time out of her busy work day to interview me. She certainly didn't ask me any questions like that. She asked me the standard "what are your goals why columbia", "what clubs are you most excited about, how will you contribute", "give me a time you showed leadership at work" questions and said "oh and the only question I have to ask you is what a professional setback you have faced is". She also asked me the ethical dilemma question, which I totally bombed. I was expecting it and before my answer seemed fine but once I said it to her I realized it was pretty bad.

I think with Columbia where they have so many alumni interviewers you can either get someone really great or not so great. Unfortunately you got someone awful, and it's unfortunate you didn't get in, because if you did you would have had more leverage to warn the school about him.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Dakells wrote:

Wow, that story is ridiculous! I'm sorry to hear that was your experience Fool (ha sorry I just had to). If that had been me I probably would have gotten extremely defensive and angry. I interviewed about a week ago. I went with your thinking and picked the first person on the list because that is what they said to do. My interviewer was perfectly nice, if not a tad standoffish. But I'm not trying to make a new friend here, she is simply there taking time out of her busy work day to interview me. She certainly didn't ask me any questions like that. She asked me the standard "what are your goals why columbia", "what clubs are you most excited about, how will you contribute", "give me a time you showed leadership at work" questions and said "oh and the only question I have to ask you is what a professional setback you have faced is". She also asked me the ethical dilemma question, which I totally bombed. I was expecting it and before my answer seemed fine but once I said it to her I realized it was pretty bad.

I think with Columbia where they have so many alumni interviewers you can either get someone really great or not so great. Unfortunately you got someone awful, and it's unfortunate you didn't get in, because if you did you would have had more leverage to warn the school about him.

I'm glad you got someone really great - and that interview sounds like it went well! Congrats! Also it's good to hear someone else thought to follow the instructions. I'm glad to know that I wasn't just that schmuck who didn't get the memo about ignoring the Columbia interview instructions :wink:
Current Student
Affiliations: Volunteer Operation Smile India, Creative Head of College IEEE branch (2009-10), Chief Editor College Magazine (2009), Finance Head College Magazine (2008)
Own Kudos [?]: 302 [0]
Given Kudos: 24
WE2: Entrepreneur (E-commerce - The Laptop Skin Vault)
Concentration: Marketing, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q49 V38
WE:Marketing (Other)
Send PM
Hi guys. Just got dinged without interview. I submitted around Christmas. All the best to those still waiting to hear back.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
How are you guys receiving your responses for both ADMITTED and DENIED? Email or Mail?
I am waiting for a response too.

Posted from my mobile device
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
Nrymcn wrote:
How are you guys receiving your responses for both ADMITTED and DENIED? Email or Mail?
I am waiting for a response too.

Everything is email these days. You'll only get something in the mail if it's an acceptance package or marketing material.

Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tks for the response!
If accepted do you get an email or only the acceptance package per mail?
Just so I know what to expect when I get an email (the response or obly a ding)

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Real Estate
GMAT 1: 740 Q47 V45
GPA: 4
Send PM
You get a phone call if you're accepted and then get an email later. My experience at least...
Manager
Manager
Given Kudos: 4
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V38
Send PM
dan62287 wrote:
You get a phone call if you're accepted and then get an email later. My experience at least...

Hey Guys,

I will be submitting my application in a couple of days and have a question for you all. I spoke to my recommender and he told me that there are no word-counts for the recommendation questions. His letter runs over six pages :o and I wanted to check with you all on if this kind of length would be OK. I personally think that this is very long. 4 pages should be more than good. My recommender is trying to cite example for questions like "List three to five adjectives describing applicants strengths" Giving examples for all three to four adjectives is making this letter very long.

Any suggestions ? :)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 132 [0]
Given Kudos: 150
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 700 Q44 V41
GMAT 2: 750 Q48 V46
GPA: 3.03
WE:Project Management (Military & Defense)
Send PM
dan62287 wrote:

This is correct. Interview invite is an automated email, dings and wait lists are also automated emails. Acceptances are given via phone call. You should get a call from a blocked number. You won't get an email or website update until after the call, even if you miss the call. I missed the call on a Friday afternoon at work and had to wait until Tuesday for them to call again, I was going crazy.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Did the admissions call you or did you receive a phone call from your interviewer?

Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
Just got in off the waitlist.

Got a call this morning, I'm in. Doing the Pre-MBA World Tour for 2 months for sure, who's down?
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  58   59   60   61   62   63   64  ...  83   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts