Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 04:05 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 04:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [0]
Given Kudos: 78
Concentration: Nonprofit
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
GPA: 3.41
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Re: Tuck or Stern? Which is more prestigious? [#permalink]
Just my 2 cents since i seriously thought about applying to stern this year. Although stern is ostensibly stronger in finance, tuck actually gets better recruiting from the coveted buyside jobs. Pound for pound, tuck's finance network is better than stern. Also, I personally think stern's NYC location is overrated.

Overall, tuck is more prestigious although it's not well-known to laymen, but then again, we're not forking over $150-200K to impress the average joe. Among finance recruiters, tuck gets tons of respect.

In terms of location, fit, and student culture, they cannot be any more different. I ended up applying to tuck but not stern because based on the research i've done and talking to students/alums at both schools, i prefer tuck by a large margin.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [4]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
Kudos
mbaBoston2012 wrote:
Just curious.

Which is more prestigious on an overall level and which is more prestigious in the financial sector?

Opinions would be appreciated!

Hey, pick Stern to open up a spot at Tuck for us wait-listers! ;)
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
CobraKai wrote:
Hey, pick Stern to open up a spot at Tuck for us wait-listers! ;)

Thought you were psyched on Cornell? Gonna send your deposit it but wait to see what Dartmouth has to say?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 168 [6]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
GMAT 1: 690 Q48 V35
GMAT 2: 730 Q49 V42
Send PM
Kudos
Bookmarks
Like to weigh in from an international student's perspective and also as an 'outsider' (read prospective international applicant) who applied to schools

Perspective 1: International Student
Neither Tuck nor Stern by their own have a very well known brand name outside of the US. However, NYU is much better known internationally than Dartmouth. This may seem ironic but its true. However, the term Ivy League, irrespective of its actual weightage/value etc., gets thrown around a lot. So if you say you went to an Ivy League business school to an employer in India for example, they do sit up. If you say you went to NYU Stern, they'll say OK I know about NYU, but don't know how good/bad it is and what Stern is.

Perspective 2: Outsider
When I visited the US in April last year, I visited NYU Stern. I wasn't impressed - the facility is a building, the common areas where you have parties etc. are essentially rooms in that building. I actually felt a bit suffocated, and taking the lift to go to classrooms just felt a bit weird. I strongly felt I was visiting an office rather than a school. I understand that space is limited in NYC, but I somehow didn't feel too good about paying $100K plus in tuition and going to that sort of facility. We sat in a classroom where we got a download from the admissions team - again, I didn't like the classrooms at all. The other school I went to was Wharton, which was much, much better. Plus, NYU Stern just didn't give me a good sense of campus camaraderie.

The other aspect I must mention, is that in April I networked with many current/former MBA students. When I told them I visited Stern because it may figure on my list of schools, I typically saw a quizzical face on the other end. Folks didn't seem to think it was a great program, certainly not 'prestigious'. Everyone acknowledges its good for finance, but is it the best school for finance - NO. The location lends some advantage maybe, the vast alumni network definitely does, but there's nothing more to it. Based on this perception, plus the feel I got when I visited the school, I dropped it from my list.

After receiving news of my admit, I sent messages to friends who have gone to Tuck, Yale, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, INSEAD etc. I even spoke to the former admissions director of a top 3 school, who mentioned that Tuck is a fantastic program (she stressed on the fantastic bit). Essentially, those who are in the know, deeply admire the school. Hence, in terms of prestige, I certainly feel Tuck beats NYU hands down.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [0]
Given Kudos: 25
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
As a guy who lives in Texas, there are people who have seriously never heard of Dartmouth, let alone Tuck. People know what NYU is, though. People have even heard of Cornell and Brown down here, so people do know of less prestigious Ivies. Not sure why Dartmouth has little/no reputation in the south.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.45
WE:Marketing (Consumer Electronics)
Send PM
Hands down, Tuck.

NYU is wayyyy overrated. Sure if you want to do finance,that too in NYC, go ahead.

But in terms of reputation, even in Asia, Tuck is pretty well recognized.

I would also encourage you not to choose in terms of rankings, though if you ask me, I would place Tuck way ahead of NYU.

Just my 2c
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Dallas. I'm sure we're talking to different people, as most are my interactions are with Big 12 superstars.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Nothing wrong with that. At least the sports are good. My undergrad school kicked the crap out of UCLA (who was ranked 17 at the time) in the bowl game. I love sports so I'm looking forward to some fun nights at Pauley Pavilion.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Are you sure they haven't heard of Dartmouth or do they just no care about academic prestige? It sounds like these sports fanatics are only interested in their big 12 arena, but I doubt they conflate sports with academics. Hardly anyone is going to say Ohio State is better than Michigan academically, but it doesn't mean they won't say Ohio State is "better" than Michigan overall.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yes, I'm sure they haven't heard of Dartmouth. You probably don't know, but Dallasites aren't typically known for their academic prowess.

In any way, Tuck is more prestigious than Stern (IMO) and is a wonderful school.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
machichi wrote:
Are you sure they haven't heard of Dartmouth or do they just no care about academic prestige? It sounds like these sports fanatics are only interested in their big 12 arena, but I doubt they conflate sports with academics. Hardly anyone is going to say Ohio State is better than Michigan academically, but it doesn't mean they won't say Ohio State is "better" than Michigan overall.

We had a guy here who was a Texas (Austin) grad and he had never heard of Georgetown. His excuse was that he only heard of schools for their sports, so the counter argument was "What about basketball?" When he said "sports" he meant "football."

I don't want to be stereotypical, especially since I'm not from Texas, but I've met a few Texans who think there are two places you can live:

1) Texas
2) The rest of the world
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Yeah, I'd say that's spot on. It's a big reason I'm trying to get the hell out!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Send PM
codytravers wrote:
Yeah, I'd say that's spot on. It's a big reason I'm trying to get the hell out!

Congrats on Anderson! My brother went there. Enjoy the Pink Berry, Diddy Reese, and In N' Out!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 32 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Thank you! I'm very excited. Judging by your school choices, it seems like you're allergic to the sun and warm weather! :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
I think including Texas Tech in that group is a bit of a stretch (OK, a huge stretch :)), but I agree with the others. Rice, Baylor, TCU, SMU, A&M, and UT will open lots of doors for you in the state, even though there is a huge disparity in academics and prestige just within that group.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [0]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
str1der wrote:
Like to weigh in from an international student's perspective and also as an 'outsider' (read prospective international applicant) who applied to schools

Neither Tuck nor Stern by their own have a very well known brand name outside of the US. However, NYU is much better known internationally than Dartmouth. This may seem ironic but its true. However, the term Ivy League, irrespective of its actual weightage/value etc., gets thrown around a lot. So if you say you went to an Ivy League business school to an employer in India for example, they do sit up. If you say you went to NYU Stern, they'll say OK I know about NYU, but don't know how good/bad it is and what Stern is.

When I visited the US in April last year, I visited NYU Stern. I wasn't impressed - the facility is a building, the common areas where you have parties etc. are essentially rooms in that building. I actually felt a bit suffocated, and taking the lift to go to classrooms just felt a bit weird. I strongly felt I was visiting an office rather than a school. I understand that space is limited in NYC, but I somehow didn't feel too good about paying $100K plus in tuition and going to that sort of facility. We sat in a classroom where we got a download from the admissions team - again, I didn't like the classrooms at all. The other school I went to was Wharton, which was much, much better. Plus, NYU Stern just didn't give me a good sense of campus camaraderie.

The other aspect I must mention, is that in April I networked with many current/former MBA students. When I told them I visited Stern because it may figure on my list of schools, I typically saw a quizzical face on the other end. Folks didn't seem to think it was a great program, certainly not 'prestigious'. Everyone acknowledges its good for finance, but is it the best school for finance - NO. The location lends some advantage maybe, the vast alumni network definitely does, but there's nothing more to it. Based on this perception, plus the feel I got when I visited the school, I dropped it from my list.

After receiving news of my admit, I sent messages to friends who have gone to Tuck, Yale, HBS, Stanford, Wharton, INSEAD etc. I even spoke to the former admissions director of a top 3 school, who mentioned that Tuck is a fantastic program (she stressed on the fantastic bit). Essentially, those who are in the know, deeply admire the school. Hence, in terms of prestige, I certainly feel Tuck beats NYU hands down.

I think this analysis is spot on. I have not visited stern, but friends who have visited have echoed similar sentiments regarding the facilities. I did however attend a session in my home city that was hosted by an admissions officer. It was super laid back, and we just mingled with 6 stern alums who showed up. I hate saying this, but I was extremely unimpressed by the alums. I then asked friends who went to top b-schools on their thoughts on stern, and their reaction was very similar to what str1der described, some even worse. For example, a buddy who did wharton and now works in MBB office in europe talked about joint finance career treks with other schools. He remarked that the sternies stood out as not being as sharp and accomplished and had a chip on their shoulder. I heard similar comments from other folks as well. I badly wanted to apply to stern because of its NYC location and quality of finance courses, but ultimately I realized that there are better options out there.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Shawshank wrote:
str1der wrote:

I think this analysis is spot on. I have not visited stern, but friends who have visited have echoed similar sentiments regarding the facilities. I did however attend a session in my home city that was hosted by an admissions officer. It was super laid back, and we just mingled with 6 stern alums who showed up. I hate saying this, but I was extremely unimpressed by the alums. I then asked friends who went to top b-schools on their thoughts on stern, and their reaction was very similar to what str1der described, some even worse. For example, a buddy who did wharton and now works in MBB office in europe talked about joint finance career treks with other schools. He remarked that the sternies stood out as not being as sharp and accomplished and had a chip on their shoulder. I heard similar comments from other folks as well. I badly wanted to apply to stern because of its NYC location and quality of finance courses, but ultimately I realized that there are better options out there.

As for the facilities, I thought they were fine, not bad, not great, but it's what I expected in the middle of Manhattan, perhaps even a bit better. And, by the way, Columbia's facilities are WAY worse in my opinion, which I think is relevant considering no other top schools have campuses quite so embedded in a major city as these two. So Columbia is a good reference point (however, Columbia will have new facilities in the somewhat near future, I think). From a pure building & facilities perspective, I think it's a bit ridiculous to compare the the facilities of any school in downtown Manhattan to one in the middle-of-nowhere New Hampshire. It's not a fair fight. At Dartmouth they have the luxury of space, but not much else (outside of the school community). At Stern/Columbia, you have no space, but you have Manhattan.

Shawshank, I think your comments regarding Stern are a bit over the top; it almost seems like you have a chip on your shoulder, or that you have something against Stern. No one is saying that Stern is as prestigious as Tuck (although it's not that far behind, no offense to Tuck, but it's Tuck we're talking about, not Wharton, the difference isn't big), but my personal experience with Stern has been great so far. The students seem very bright, friendly, and enthusiastic about their school. The sense of community, at least as far as I could tell from two visits, was much stronger than I would have expected at an inner city bschool. The two professors I heard from seemed to really know their stuff as well. And they have maybe the most impressive list of course offerings I've seen.

I apologize for my defense of Stern, I probably won't even end up going there, but I don't like to see seemingly random school bashing. Both of these schools are great. If Shawshank's opinion was the generally accepted one, no one would go to Stern, they wouldn't be ranked nearly as well as they are, and you'd have already "known" that Stern was a crappy school just from reading posts on GMAT Club. I would take any single person's perception of the school, in isolation, with a grain of salt (including mine...haha).

My guess would be that your success in getting a job in finance will be more tied to you personally and what's on your resume, and not as much to the slight difference in prestige of these two schools. If you want investment banking, Stern will get you there just as easily as Tuck I would suspect. If you want buyside, knowing nothing about you I would say your chances are slim at either of these schools, unless you have some awesome and/or relevant prior experience or connections. So depending on what exactly you want, the added Tuck prestige may or may not help you, and you should probably just go where you see yourself having a better experience.
GMAT Club Bot
 1   2   
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts