Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:32 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:32

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [42]
Given Kudos: 221
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [21]
Given Kudos: 426
Send PM
General Discussion
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 3118 [2]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Strategy
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.8
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Re: Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, built into [#permalink]
Kudos
Bookmarks
Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, built into the wall flanking the driver's side of a narrow aisle. Even though blind people obviously do not drive, these machines nonetheless invariably feature Braille – the system of raised dots used by the blind for reading and writing – in addition to the standard letters and numerals on their control panels.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain the situation described?

a)In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway. Clearly out of scope.
b)Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write. This statement throws the situation into further confusion. If people whom one might imagine to be drivers as well as poor sighted do not use braille then why is it there??
c)Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.Does not provide an explanation for why a machine meant for car drivers has braille lettering.
d)The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.This option seems to address the point. However, just the fact that they cost the same to manufacture does not explain why they have fitted ATM machines with braille lettering at a place meant for car drivers.
e)In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine. IMO. This clearly addresses the point. If there is only a single model in production then we have a reason for why there are machines with braille in a place meant for car drivers. Regardless of the location that the machines are going to be fitted at all machines will be having braille lettering. The "in order to maximize profits" part is irrelevant.

Kudos Please... If my post helped.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4468 [0]
Given Kudos: 221
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.75
Send PM
Re: Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, built into [#permalink]
Hey Karishma.
Thanks for the fantastic example. Undertood even the roots of the question.
In fact I chose A, because I thought that since, driver side rear windows roll down to halfway only, therefore the passenger may not be ale to see very clearly and hence using the Braille, can access the ATM.
Did I assumed a lot?
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [0]
Send PM
Expert Reply
Marcab wrote:
Hey Karishma.
Thanks for the fantastic example. Undertood even the roots of the question.
In fact I chose A, because I thought that since, driver side rear windows roll down to halfway only, therefore the passenger may not be ale to see very clearly and hence using the Braille, can access the ATM.
Did I assumed a lot?

There was a gap in understanding. To use Braille, you need to use the same buttons as used by regular people. Since windows roll down only half way, you can't reach the buttons.
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 64903 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
Sachin9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,
I chose A as well.. I actually thought that since windows roll down atleast halfway, you could reach the buttons..

The wording should make you aware of a trap. 'windows roll down ONLY half way...'. It kind of implies that the ATM isn't exactly within reach of a person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side.

If the logic were that blind people sitting behind the driver need to operate, the option would have said something like 'the ATM can be easily accessed by the person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side'

I hope the correct option makes sense now.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
Marcab wrote:
Many banks have a drive-through automated teller machine, built into the wall flanking the driver's side of a narrow aisle. Even though blind people obviously do not drive, these machines nonetheless invariably feature Braille – the system of raised dots used by the blind for reading and writing – in addition to the standard letters and numerals on their control panels.

Which of the following, if true, does the most to explain the situation described?

a)In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway.
b)Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write.
c)Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.
d)The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.
e)In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine.

This has been the strangest question ever faced by me.

OA
Let us first have some discussion on it.

Sweet Question. So here is MO about the paradox.

Drive through has a ATM with braille, but why would you need an ATM with braille. A blind driver cannot drive, so why bother putting in an ATM to accommodate him or her?

The answer I formulated was as follows:

Most of the drivers that pass through the drive up ATM, do not actually use it, the passenger sitting behind the driver uses it, and just so happens to be blind

I know that sounds crazy, but that was my formulated answer.

My choice was E. There was another reason other than usefulness that caused the banks decision to use that ATM-it was the only ATM manufactured.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 327 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
GPA: 3.87
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:

Hi Karishma,
I chose A as well.. I actually thought that since windows roll down atleast halfway, you could reach the buttons..

The wording should make you aware of a trap. 'windows roll down ONLY half way...'. It kind of implies that the ATM isn't exactly within reach of a person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side.

If the logic were that blind people sitting behind the driver need to operate, the option would have said something like 'the ATM can be easily accessed by the person sitting next to the rear window on the driver's side'

I hope the correct option makes sense now.

Wow. So I am not crazy for thinking that way-cool!
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 1180 [1]
Given Kudos: 236
GMAT 1: 650 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.92
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Kudos
I didn't like paradox types of questions before, probably because I did not how to crack them. Luckily, now I understand the technique that needs to be used to solve the paradox questions.

the correct answer should present new information, so that when imputed in the magic formula, would help solve the paradox:

Because (correct answer choice), the ATM's at the drive through have B for blind people, although blind people do not drive at all.

during my pre-thinking, i ID'ed few possible answers which would provide an alternate explanation:
a) blind people use ATM's while they are passengers;
b) banks use the same ATM's everywhere to not spend more $ on manufacturing special ATM's for drive through.

Let's get to the answer choices:

a)In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway.
if rear windows roll down only 1/2, then clearly blind people would not be using atm's while being passenger. This raises more questions rather than clarifying the paradox

b)Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write.
if they do not use B to read/write, then it is illogical to have B on the ATM's, and thus raises more questions why B is on the ATM's.

c)Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.
this is irrelevant, and does not help solve the paradox.

d)The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.
if there are actually costs, then why would they do so? illogical.

e)In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine.
aha! what I was thinking about! only 1 model is used for all atm's, and thus, the paradox is explained.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 57
Concentration: Technology, General Management
Schools: ISB '18
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Fantastic questions ; clearly drills you badly ; I got it wrong and honestly i juts guessed after a while ; But clearly answer is E ; beautiful question.....
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 1551 [0]
Given Kudos: 342
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GPA: 3.93
WE:Account Management (Education)
Send PM
VeritasPrepKarishma wrote:
Marcab wrote:

This has been the strangest question ever faced by me.

OA
Let us first have some discussion on it.

It's a resolve the paradox question and honestly, not very tough if you are quick to connect things from your life together.
What is the paradox?
- Most banks have drive-thru ATMs - you take your car next to the ATM and only the driver's side can access the machine since there is no space for someone to open the door and get down from the car.
- These ATMs feature Braille.

Now obviously, blind people do not drive so why do these ATMs feature Braille? Let's find out what can explain this.

This implies that people sitting behind the driver's seat also cannot access the ATM i.e. only the driver can access the ATM machine. This doesn't help resolve the paradox.

If people who are allowed to drive do not use Braille, then we are back at the paradox - why is Braille featured on these ATMs?

Irrelevant to the argument.

Even if a feature doesn't add much to the cost, why would you add it if it has no value? Just because something is cheap, you don't buy it if it is useless for you. If you wear size 6, you won't buy a size 16 just because it is available at 50% off until and unless you are planning to gift to a friend i.e. it has some value for you. Hence, it doesn't help resolve the paradox. It doesn't tell you why Braille is featured at a place where it has no use.

Doesn't this remind you of something you see on a daily basis? Cars! If you notice, all models of cars except the highest one has blank buttons i.e. buttons that don't do anything. Ever wondered why? Because car manufacturers make one standard interiors model. They have to put buttons for all the features given in the highest end model. In the lower models, you get blank buttons since some features are missing in them. This is the same concept. To maximize profit, only one model of ATMs is made. Braille has to be featured on other ATMs which are not drive through because they are accessed by blind people. Hence all ATMs feature Braille whether they are put in drive thrus or in regular kiosks. This resolves our paradox.

Answer (E)

Thanks VeritasPrepKarishma for that thorough explanation. It helped me.
I call this question type "Realilty Question" in GMAT critical reasoning.
Your trouble in this question begins if you never seen or imagined a "drive through ATM".
You need to bring in assumptions from your real life knowledge of what "drive through ATMs" are.
You might as well need to NOT be oblivious of the real life fact that you essentially use what exists in the market.. thus your preference might be quite an exaggerated economic concept.
Finally the GMAC state succinctly that "answering CR questions requires no specialized knowledge of any particular field" and that "u dont have to have knowledge of the terminology or conventions of formal logic".
Meehnn! Was it just to make you feel calm? Or could they mean it?
Is it me or does that GMAC statement have other useful use?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 78 [0]
Given Kudos: 36
Concentration: Leadership, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q50 V35
GPA: 3.39
Send PM

In simple terms, the ATM has a keypad which features Braille so that blind people can use it. But blind people do not drive so what can be the reason for having such a feature which has no potential use. Maybe the manufacturers produce only a single type of keypads which can be used by people who are blind and by people who can see.

Clearly, the option doesn't make sense. If this is an impediment then we are left with only the driver's window but this condition doesn't throw any light on why the Braille feature is used on the keypad.

Then what's the use of having that feature on the keypad.

But blind people are not allowed to drive. So what's the use of that feature in a drive-through ATM.

Then the manufacturers can produce both the types of ATMs but why such an ATM on the drive-throughs. They could have saved a few bucks by installing ATMs without Braille feature.

This is in line with our assumption. There are no specialized models. Only one model which can be used by both the groups.

Thus, option E.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 37 [0]
Given Kudos: 339
Schools: Tuck
GMAT 1: 640 Q49 V30
GPA: 3.6
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Only option E makes sense as it explains why braille system is there in ATMs. If they develop the same model, then they can install the same ATM in any other places such as in banks, airports, malls, railways stations, bus stations etc. Installation of such ATMs in public places makes them disabled friendly.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 326 [0]
Given Kudos: 334
Concentration: General Management, Strategy
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM

A. In most automobiles, the rear windows on the driver's side only roll down about halfway.

B. Moderately visually impaired people who are still allowed to drive typically do not use Braille to read or write.

C. Blind people can often read Braille just as quickly and accurately as sighted people can read regular writing.

D. The embossing technique used to form the raised dots does not typically add much to the overall cost of the automated teller machine.

E. In order to maximize profits per unit, manufacturers produce only a single model of automated teller machine.
-------------------

E resolves the paradox, because it gives an explanation why this machine has dots.
It is simply because these machines are manufactured in one way. For drivers and for others. No sense to change the complectation
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts