Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:01 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:01

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [3]
Given Kudos: 3
Concentration: Strategy, Healthcare
GMAT 1: 730 Q50 V39
GPA: 3.4
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [0]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [1]
Given Kudos: 7
Send PM
Re: 730 - Q50, V39 -It's not over till its over [#permalink]
Kudos
Ani - 730 is a great score! Is there really that much of a difference, in your mind, between 730 and 760?

I guess you can try to get a couple of points on verbal. If you can move to the mid 40 zip code, you will be looking at a 760. But that assumes you maintain that 50 on quant.

730 is definitely not a dealbreaker for your admission to these top 10 schools. What do you think? Going to retake it?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Send PM
AbhiJ wrote:
730 is a great score and above average at even HBS /Stanford.The question is how quickly can you achieve 760 or above. If its 1-2 month than retake is worth it. However the more likely scenario is it would take 3-4 months, include that with couple of months of tough schedule at work. You would have devoted 6 months for retake. So choose your battles wisely.

That's a fair point, I would need close to 2 months in the minimum. I am actually not clear whether 760 or above would give me a definite edge. I think it might give me some edge. Also, I am not sure what should I do for profile building just in case I don't go for retake
Intern
Intern
Send PM
le7els wrote:
Ani - 730 is a great score! Is there really that much of a difference, in your mind, between 730 and 760?

I guess you can try to get a couple of points on verbal. If you can move to the mid 40 zip code, you will be looking at a 760. But that assumes you maintain that 50 on quant.

730 is definitely not a dealbreaker for your admission to these top 10 schools. What do you think? Going to retake it?

I am confused on the retake part :). 760 has that silver lining of 99%. I am not sure how much the difference between 730 and 760 matters for securing a call/admit in B Schools. I guess I will just wait for sometime and based on suggestions from GMAT experts will decide on the retake
Retired Moderator
Own Kudos [?]: 628 [2]
Given Kudos: 192
Send PM
Kudos
aniruddha601 wrote:
AbhiJ wrote:
730 is a great score and above average at even HBS /Stanford.The question is how quickly can you achieve 760 or above. If its 1-2 month than retake is worth it. However the more likely scenario is it would take 3-4 months, include that with couple of months of tough schedule at work. You would have devoted 6 months for retake. So choose your battles wisely.

That's a fair point, I would need close to 2 months in the minimum. I am actually not clear whether 760 or above would give me a definite edge. I think it might give me some edge. Also, I am not sure what should I do for profile building just in case I don't go for retake

That's where the challenge lies. A few humble suggestions
- Taking part in Clubs that help improve communication skills. Eg: Toastmasters
- Creating a website in an area where you want to work post MBA. For example if you want to move into Investment Management side creating a website where you do financial analysis of few companies and put some charts etc. This will even help finding jobs/internships.
- Doing some certifications in area where you want to work post MBA. For finance its CFA/FRM. For operations its Six Sigma. For project management its PMP.
- Trying to get promotions at work or work that involves managing people.
- Being involved in NGOs outside work and take a leadership position to make an impact.

In an ideal world you would want a GMAT 760 and at least few of the above.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I am actually not clear whether 760 or above would give me a definite edge.730 is definitely not a dealbreaker for your admission to these top 10 schools.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 166 [0]
Given Kudos: 562
GMAT 1: 640 Q43 V34
GMAT 2: 630 Q47 V29
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
hi aniruddha,
congrats on the great score. .

How was IR in comparison to the one in Manhattan CATs?

I find IR very time consuming on Manhattan CATs and I have never been able to complete the section in these tests. Couldn't go beyond the score of 1.7 so far..

Is IR really tough on teh gmat or is it manageable?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
hi aniruddha,
congrats on the great score. .

How was IR in comparison to the one in Manhattan CATs?

I find IR very time consuming on Manhattan CATs and I have never been able to complete the section in these tests. Couldn't go beyond the score of 1.7 so far..

Is IR really tough on teh gmat or is it manageable?

I feel IR is manageable in GMAT.
I personally felt IR in Manhattan CAT's as calculation intensive with pretty high difficulty level. In GMAT I felt there was good mix of low-medium-difficult problems unlike Manhattan CAT's in which difficulty level is high. In fact, the questions in GMAT were of similar type and difficulty level as what comes in GMAT Prep

Having said that, I would suggest to solve all the IR problems in Manhattan CAT's. Solve them untimed if you are struggling with time management. I feel these guys have compiled good variety of questions and it will help you in strength building :). Most importantly you don't want to go into Quant section with a feeling that you have probably messed up IR section!

For me in GMAT, I got 3 Multiple Source question and 1 two part question which I couldn't make sense of :(. Rest of the problems were manageable and practicing Manhattan IR problems certainly helped me. So I feel practicing good IR problems might help you and be confident!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
hey aniruddha,

Do we need to remember the GMAT codes of 5 Schools to which we want to send the scores?
Or we can select the school name there?

Also, say If I plan to do my MBA 2 years from now. Do I need to send the scores again to schools after 2 years?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Sachin9 wrote:
hey aniruddha,

Do we need to remember the GMAT codes of 5 Schools to which we want to send the scores?

Also, say If I plan to do my MBA 2 years from now. Do I need to send the scores again to schools after 2 years?

Hi Sachin,

You need to remember the region in which the B school is present. Once you choose Country and Region , you can search for B schools in selected region.

Regarding sending scores to B schools, I am not sure how it works it would be best if it's answered by experts. I guess you need not resend the scores after 2 years.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
aniruddha601 wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
hey aniruddha,

Hi Sachin,

You need to remember the region in which the B school is present. Once you choose Country and Region , you can search for B schools in selected region.

Regarding sending scores to B schools, I am not sure how it works it would be best if it's answered by experts. I guess you need not resend the scores after 2 years.

thanks mate. . got ma exam coming thursday.

I am actually yet to do any research on schools..
I plan to do a 1 year MBA..
so XLRI ,ISB and Judge business school are on my mind now.
Kellogg is out since it focuses heavily on sales/marketing, I believe.
Can you suggest some good schools in which we have good 1 year program. .. IIM ABC and L have 1 year programs right?but I guess I don't have 10-12 years experience that these IIMs typically look for. So they are out too.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
aniruddha601 wrote:
Sachin9 wrote:
hey aniruddha,

Hi Sachin,

thanks mate. . got ma exam coming thursday.

I am actually yet to do any research on schools..
I plan to do a 1 year MBA..
so XLRI ,ISB and Judge business school are on my mind now.
Kellogg is out since it focuses heavily on sales/marketing, I believe.
Can you suggest some good schools in which we have good 1 year program. .. IIM ABC and L have 1 year programs right?but I guess I don't have 10-12 years experience that these IIMs typically look for. So they are out too.

All the Best for your exam! :)

I don't have much idea about 1 year MBA programs or MBA programs in India. I am also deciding on the list of B schools I will go for but I will primarily apply in top US B schools.

May be you can ask experts on this query. I believe in India you can apply in ISB, Great Lakes, IIM's, XLRI and SP JAIN. I think you can apply in some of the IIM's as they do take people with fewer years of work ex.
You can also look at european B schools, however given the current economic scenario it might be a risky proposition.
For US B schools, you might want to take a look here - https://gmatclub.com/forum/one-year-accelarated-mba-usa-guide-125904.html
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Thanks mate..
And during the break , say we gobble soemthing and are ready to start with the Quant section/verbal section, can we sit infront of teh computer doing nothing.. or the next section is immediately started by the proctor once we reach our computer?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Kudos
Sachin9 wrote:
Thanks mate..
And during the break , say we gobble soemthing and are ready to start with the Quant section/verbal section, can we sit infront of teh computer doing nothing.. or the next section is immediately started by the proctor once we reach our computer?

You get roughly 6 minutes break. Yeah if you can shave off 1-2 mins post break, you can sit in front of computer doing nothing! But you get barely 1-2 mins post snacks. Beside I don't think the staff would allow you to be there doing nothing for whole break as there are other people taking the test.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Founder
37301 posts