Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:58 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:58

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [1]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
Schools: UVA (Darden) - Class of 2015
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 22
Send PM
Re: Marathon running and backpacking as extracurriculars? [#permalink]
I run, although the longest distance I've done is a half marathon, and listed that in my activities section for both of the schools I applied to. I think showing that you are willing to take on a challenge and follow through with training and completion (a lot of people may run marathons, but it's still not an easy thing to do). I am never the fastest runner in the race, but I enjoy the challenge of training and participating and I think including them in my application lined up nicely with some of the things I had written in my essays.

I think backpacking in the mountains shows survival skills, willingness to confront challenges and the unknown, and an adventurous spirit. Translate this to your application and connect it to why you want to go to school (do you just hang out in the woods for a week or do you willingly venture off to see what very few other people are willing to see/experience because it's hard/dangerous?).
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [0]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
I'm a marathoner and I definitely used it in my applications. It's on all my resumes for recruiting too. I've definitely had employers bring it up too.
Showing that you are dedicated to something, even if lots of other people have done it too, will always be viewed favorably. And there are not as many marathoners out there as people may think.
Your activities in and of themselves don't have to be ridiculously unique. None of mine were. However, your story for how you got into that activity, what you like about it, how it challenges you, why you stick with it are all your own and that's what makes it interesting.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 329 [0]
Given Kudos: 175
Schools: Johnson (Cornell) - Class of 2015
WE:Military Officer (Military & Defense)
Send PM
cheetarah1980 wrote:

Showing that you are dedicated to something, even if lots of other people have done it too, will always be viewed favorably.

Just to piggy back on this, depth is better than breadth. Training and running in multiple marathons is a lot different that having run one 1/2 marathon. Always good to show one or two things you're heavily involved in as opposed to being the person who has a laundry list of activities he or she has tried once.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
WE:Business Development (Consulting)
Send PM
I would def put that in your app/resume. I'm a road cyclist (cat3 club races) and in both bschool and job interviews, I felt like it broke the ice once I started talking about it (training, components, racing etc)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I wrote about similarly "not exactly changing the world" types of activities. My results are not in yet so I cannot recommend that approach but I did feel pretty good about the way I incorporated the stories and it felt like a pretty good strategy...at the time. Will try to remember to post update!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 35 [0]
Given Kudos: 82
Concentration: Finance, International Business
GRE 1: Q740 V640
GPA: 3.7
WE:Science (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
MBAhoops wrote:
I wrote about similarly "not exactly changing the world" types of activities. My results are not in yet so I cannot recommend that approach but I did feel pretty good about the way I incorporated the stories and it felt like a pretty good strategy...at the time. Will try to remember to post update!

Yes, I would definitely like to hear about it. If you feel comfortable sharing your essay with me, I would be grateful to have the chance to read it.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Send PM
lahai1dj wrote:
MBAhoops wrote:

Yes, I would definitely like to hear about it. If you feel comfortable sharing your essay with me, I would be grateful to have the chance to read it.

feel free to ping me in a couple of months.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Kjar was on the right track when he wrote: "Did you motivate lots of people to run? Did you volunteer at local events to promote running, and maybe have some evidence, incl. statistics, numbers etc. on people you actually helped to?"

Since you are claiming to schools that you possess both the skill and character to inspires others as a leader, it is imperative that you connect all aspects of your application to demonstrating how you have impacted a group of people - even through your extracurricular activities. So, if you enjoy running, you should channel that passion toward inspire others.

Connect your running to a charity. Start a running club. Do anything that connects your passion to inspiring and benefiting others.

Thank you & good luck,

Maxwell Roper
Outreach Director
USA Leadership Corps (USALC)
"Solving the strategic challenges of nonprofits and small businesses in need."
www usaLeadershipCorps org
GMAT Club Bot