Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:06 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:06

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [3]
Given Kudos: 12
GMAT 1: 720 Q48 V40
GPA: 3.18
WE:Manufacturing and Production (Pharmaceuticals and Biotech)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [1]
Given Kudos: 51
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
WE:Engineering (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Re: Harvard 2013 (HBS) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
esdykes wrote:
Thinking of you guys... only part of a day left. Fingers crossed!

I think I may be afraid of my inbox tomorrow.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Schools: HBS '15 (I)
GPA: 3.89
Send PM
What time will the email be send out? so anxious
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 8
Send PM
huberhuber wrote:
What time will the email be send out? so anxious

Noon Boston Local time..
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
GMAT 1: 760 Q51 V41
GPA: 3.54
Send PM
Hi experts/admission consultants/applicants,

I need your advice regarding an important issue.I converted my GPA through (WES)World Education Services (3.54/4.00).My GPA on a 10.0 scale is 6.68 but since the grading system at my institute(comparable to IIT's - top10)is tough I don't know what the Adcoms will make of my 6.68 GPA.Also,not many people from my college apply to B-schools so I have no idea how adcoms will normalize my scores. I even submitted an alternative transcript from mbamath.com scoring 100/100 marks in 24 quizzes.My GMAT score is Q51,V41.

I didn't know that most of the schools were AccessWES clients,which means that they can see my verified transcripts and converted GPA online only without me having to send any transcripts from WES. I mailed to schools regarding this.

Columbia replied to the mail and added my GPA on a 4.0 scale.
Stanford replied to the mail stating that they won't make any addition to the application.(Frankly,this is not an addition,just my GPA on another scale to help the adcoms normalize my scores)
Wharton replied to the mail stating that they will ask the operations team to look at my WES 4.0 GPA but I don't have nay follow-up whether they have taken my 4.0 GPA into account.
My application data in 2 data forms was not updated in HBS Application form.I sent a mail to HBS on 7th itself(R2 deadline) but didn't get any reply.I again sent a mail on 24th regarding the data in application form and 4.0 GPA issue but have not received any reply. Should I go ahead and phone the admissions office about the issue?They are issuing invites tomorrow so I thought they might be busy and will reply to my mail later.(but 22 days and no reply)

MIT Sloan also didn't replied to the mail.Should I wait for some days before reminding on mail again or should I phone the admissions office rightaway?

My question is :-Is it okay if I call up HBS,Wharton and MIT Sloan's office or is there any different strategy for the 3 schools. I thought it was polite to just write a mail and wait for their response but geting no response at all takes me to the nail-bitting mode :(

I greatly appreciate your help and time in advance.Solving this issue might help calm my nerves.Really stressed for the past week.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [1]
Schools: University of Connecticut - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 690 Q44 V40
GPA: 4
Send PM
Kudos
harshchamp wrote:

I need your advice regarding an important issue.I converted my GPA through (WES)World Education Services (3.54/4.00).My GPA on a 10.0 scale is 6.68 but since the grading system at my institute(comparable to IIT's - top10)is tough I don't know what the Adcoms will make of my 6.68 GPA.Also,not many people from my college apply to B-schools so I have no idea how adcoms will normalize my scores. I even submitted an alternative transcript from mbamath.com scoring 100/100 marks in 24 quizzes.My GMAT score is Q51,V41.

I didn't know that most of the schools were AccessWES clients,which means that they can see my verified transcripts and converted GPA online only without me having to send any transcripts from WES. I mailed to schools regarding this.

Stanford replied to the mail stating that they won't make any addition to the application.(Frankly,this is not an addition,just my GPA on another scale to help the adcoms normalize my scores)
Wharton replied to the mail stating that they will ask the operations team to look at my WES 4.0 GPA but I don't have nay follow-up whether they have taken my 4.0 GPA into account.
My application data in 2 data forms was not updated in HBS Application form.I sent a mail to HBS on 7th itself(R2 deadline) but didn't get any reply.I again sent a mail on 24th regarding the data in application form and 4.0 GPA issue but have not received any reply. Should I go ahead and phone the admissions office about the issue?They are issuing invites tomorrow so I thought they might be busy and will reply to my mail later.(but 22 days and no reply)

MIT Sloan also didn't replied to the mail.Should I wait for some days before reminding on mail again or should I phone the admissions office rightaway?

My question is :-Is it okay if I call up HBS,Wharton and MIT Sloan's office or is there any different strategy for the 3 schools. I thought it was polite to just write a mail and wait for their response but geting no response at all takes me to the nail-bitting mode :(

I greatly appreciate your help and time in advance.Solving this issue might help calm my nerves.Really stressed for the past week.

From what I understand, HBS Adcoms are very good at extrapolating the true value of your undergraduate GPA without a conversion. Even on the application it says:

"If your institution does not use a 4.00 Grade Point Average (GPA) scale, please do not convert your grades to a 4.00 GPA scale. Use the scoring system relevant to your degree."

HBS seems to have a firm grasp on the variety of different schools and their associated grading systems. After all, they do get over 9000 applications a year.

Have you had a chance to read through the list of undergraduate institutions represented at HBS?

https://www.hbs.edu/mba/admissions/admis ... tions.aspx
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
Dee just posted!

" In Round 1, we sent about 800 invitations in Wave 1 and about 100 in Wave 2."

am a bit confused. Is she talking about 2+2 or MBA. Could you someone give their take on it for me please?

Thank you and GOOD LUCK to us!

So basically if you see an email from HBS MBA admission flash on your phone in a meeting, try to hide that smile! It has to be an invite :)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Strategy
Schools: HBS '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V39
GPA: 3.2
Send PM
dpulavarthi wrote:
Dee just posted!

" In Round 1, we sent about 800 invitations in Wave 1 and about 100 in Wave 2."

am a bit confused. Is she talking about 2+2 or MBA. Could you someone give their take on it for me please?

Thank you and GOOD LUCK to us!

Pretty sure both - several people I had conversations with on interview day were 2+2 (which made me feel only slightly less conscious of my age - lol)
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 10 [0]
Concentration: Social Entrepreneurship
Send PM
So basically tomorrow if you see an email from HBS MBA admissions flash on your phone in a meeting, try to hide that smile! It has to be an invite :)
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Electrichazard wrote:
harshchamp wrote:

From what I understand, HBS Adcoms are very good at extrapolating the true value of your undergraduate GPA without a conversion. Even on the application it says:

"If your institution does not use a 4.00 Grade Point Average (GPA) scale, please do not convert your grades to a 4.00 GPA scale. Use the scoring system relevant to your degree."

HBS seems to have a firm grasp on the variety of different schools and their associated grading systems. After all, they do get over 9000 applications a year.

Have you had a chance to read through the list of undergraduate institutions represented at HBS?

Thanks for the reply "Electrichazard".My undergraduate institution is not represented in the class of 2014.
From what I know,only 1 person from my institute went to HBS and he was in the class of 2013.

I know that they have a good idea about the GPA conversion.But since I got a conversion done from WES(HBS requires WES verified transcripts upon admission)which HBS trusts,I thought it might be a good idea to let HBS know about my GPA.

A 6.68/10 can mean a very low GPA which means I am out of the race.
On the other hand,a 3.54/4 GPA puts me back in the race.

I just don't want that I got dinged from my dream schools because HBS thought 6.68 to be 2.9 instead of a 3.54.

Thanks in advance for help.

(I guess if I don't get invited tomorrow,I will talk to them on 31st.Is that a good idea? I don't want to seem rude or someone who doesn't understand instructions)
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 14 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: General Management, Finance
Send PM
harshchamp wrote:
Electrichazard wrote:
harshchamp wrote:

Thanks for the reply "Electrichazard".My undergraduate institution is not represented in the class of 2014.
From what I know,only 1 person from my institute went to HBS and he was in the class of 2013.

I know that they have a good idea about the GPA conversion.But since I got a conversion done from WES(HBS requires WES verified transcripts upon admission)which HBS trusts,I thought it might be a good idea to let HBS know about my GPA.

I just don't want that I got dinged from my dream schools because HBS thought 6.68 to be 2.9 instead of a 3.54.

(I guess if I don't get invited tomorrow,I will talk to them on 31st.Is that a good idea? I don't want to seem rude or someone who doesn't understand instructions)

I don't think that is going to do anything for you. In the note they just published on the HBS website it explicitly states that: "PLEASE don't send any additional material or letters of support to the Admissions Board – or me or the Dean's Office or anyone else."

It is bolded and underlined...I don't think you sending that information would cause the to completely reevaluate your application.

Regardless, best of luck to you and everyone else tomorrow!!!
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
Quick question: Does it make sense to apply for HBS MBA with only 3 year part-time profit+non-profit WE?I mean with no after undergrad WE?
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
ANOTHER REASON TO GO TO HBS --IT'S CHEAPER, ESP. IF YOU CANNOT AFFORD IT

Harvard Discounting MBA Tuition by 55.8%

https://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/30/ha ... n-by-55-8/
Harvard Business School, already the world’s most generous school in helping its MBAs with their tuition bills, increased fellowship support last year another 12% to an average of $29,843 per student, up from $26,745 a year earlier.

Only five years ago, in 2007, the average fellowship aid per student at Harvard was $17,605 a year. That’s a nearly 70% increase in student support since 2007, making it increasingly difficult for other B-schools to lure and essentially buy the best MBA talent on the market.

Put another way, Harvard discounted its annual $53,500 tuition by an average of 55.8% last year, up from 54.7% a year earlier and 44.5% five years ago.
CONT AT
https://poetsandquants.com/2013/01/30/ha ... n-by-55-8/
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Hey Sandy!Could you please tell me from your experience if it would be real to apply for HBS MBA(not 2+2) with no WE?Thanks in advance.
MBA Admissions Consultant
Own Kudos [?]: 111 [0]
freepepmind wrote:
Hey Sandy!Could you please tell me from your experience if it would be real to apply for HBS MBA(not 2+2) with no WE?Thanks in advance.

NOT UNLESS YOU HAVE SOME EXTRAORDINARY STORY ABOUT FOUNDING A BIZ WHILE IN COLLEGE, ETC
IF ALL YOU GOT IS HIGH GRADES AND GMAT'S--THAT WONT DO IT. IN GENERAL. THAT IS WHAT ALL THE 2+2 KIDS GOT, AND
SOMETIMES MORE, AND THEY ARE TOLD TO WAIT.

OR AM I MISSING SOMETHING?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Chupacabra wrote:

I don't think that is going to do anything for you. In the note they just published on the HBS website it explicitly states that: "PLEASE don't send any additional material or letters of support to the Admissions Board – or me or the Dean's Office or anyone else."

It is bolded and underlined...I don't think you sending that information would cause the to completely reevaluate your application.

Regardless, best of luck to you and everyone else tomorrow!!!

Hi chupacabra,

Well,thing is that only 1 student from undergrad went to HBS(He was a gold-medallist - Class Topper) so anyways they didn't need to normalize his GPA on 4.0 scale.I just thought that WES(HBS recommends it) converted GPA would be a help to the HBS Adcoms.

On another note,I didn't get a reply to the mail(on 7th Jan.) regarding "Unable to change data fields in Applciation Form for 4-5 hours due to congestion."As such I was not able to append my bonus data and sone garbage value(random) went through in the application form.

I wrote a reminder mail on 24th but still no reply.

I don't know if they have seen mail.Maybe they saw it but didn't shoot a reply mail to me.Maybe they didn't see at all.Given the prompt reply from other schools regarding this issue,I don't know why HBS didn't reply back.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
Hi Sandy,

I would be glad if you can give your opinion on my issue.

Thanks for taking out the time.This would be a real help for me.
Intern
Intern
GMAT 1: 650 Q46 V34
Send PM
has the count down started? good luck to everyone
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  39   40   41   42   43   44   45  ...  64   
Moderators: