Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 07:29 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 07:29

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 197 [1]
Given Kudos: 4
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 50 [0]
Given Kudos: 73
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Technology
GMAT 1: 700 Q47 V40
WE:General Management (Computer Software)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 19
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GPA: 3.98
WE:Operations (Manufacturing)
Send PM
Re: Sloan 2013 (MIT) - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Shawshank wrote:
niksworth wrote:
WL :evil: [BTW, even a waitlist by MIT, especially for engineers like me, is an honor in itself]

It is absolutely frightening that you got dinged and waitlisted at all those schools given your stats. Congrats on Tuck though. It's an awesome school.

It just emphasises the fact that there's more to MBA admissions that stats. [My GPA thing might be misleading though; it's a WES conversion]. Also, all this fuss on fit - its true!
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
pinchharmonic wrote:
waitlisted..

congrats to those who got in!

for the waitlisters, anyone have an idea of our chances?

Well, last year it was 0%, considering no one was taken off the waitlist. This year seems interesting...they waitlisted a lot of people (including me) without interviews back in december and are now piling more onto the WL. I wonder if their overbooking of the class last year led them to utilize the waitlist more heavily, but who knows?

It does appear a lot of folks are being waitlisted, but how do we know this number is higher than previous years? In chat transcripts, the waitlist director says they typically keep 75-100 waitlisters. It's entirely possible it's still the same number this year.

This year's Waitlist FAQ states that Sloan expects to put 100-200 people on the waitlist
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Marketing
GMAT 1: 760 Q44 V49
WE:Marketing (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Haven't had a chance to post, was a WL for me. I'm a bit sad only because it was the last school to get back to me and it's a shame to end this whole process on a slightly disappointing note but I probably shouldn't have let it slip in the interview I had other offers (oops). Given what happened to MIT last year they probably took that as a sign to put me on the WL.

Will probably decline the spot, so that frees one up for the rest of you WLers holding on! Congrats to everyone who got in :)
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Schools: Ross '16 (M)
Send PM
Did anyone attend the Sloan chat for waitlisted candidates? Sadly, I had to be in a meeting and couldn't attend.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 215 [0]
Given Kudos: 642
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: MIT Sloan - Class of 2015
WE:Consulting (Mutual Funds and Brokerage)
Send PM
londoncalling1 wrote:
Haven't had a chance to post, was a WL for me. I'm a bit sad only because it was the last school to get back to me and it's a shame to end this whole process on a slightly disappointing note but I probably shouldn't have let it slip in the interview I had other offers (oops). Given what happened to MIT last year they probably took that as a sign to put me on the WL.

Will probably decline the spot, so that frees one up for the rest of you WLers holding on! Congrats to everyone who got in :)

You certainly have great options! Good luck!

By the way, if there are any admitted students in the Boston/Cambridge area who want to grab drinks/coffee, PM me; I'd love to meet you! :-D
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: CFA
Own Kudos [?]: 96 [0]
Given Kudos: 7
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GMAT 1: 600 Q45 V28
GMAT 2: 670 Q44 V39
GMAT 3: 750 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.5
WE:Accounting (Insurance)
Send PM
Ward2012 wrote:
Did anyone attend the Sloan chat for waitlisted candidates? Sadly, I had to be in a meeting and couldn't attend.

I attended the chat. There wasnt too much worth noting. Basically everyone wanted to know where they could send additional info, if they should tell MIT they are the only school they applied to or first choice, Timing, etc. Answers were send it to waitlist email address, yes, anytime between Rd 2 decisions and first day of class respectively.

Not that I am overexcited about it, but a sense of optimism as moderators shared they were probably more conservative this year in offering admissions given last years over allotment. So maybe they will utilize the waitlist. They also mentioned in years past WL movement has been around 10 per year, so theres hope there.

My hope is just a ton more people applied in Rd 1 then Rd 2, so we kind of did ourselves no favors applying early. If thats the case, maybe round 2 will stack up less competitive and we can sneak in then.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 730 Q48 V42
Send PM
Any idea when MIT begins to send out interview invites for Rd 2? They've had our applications for at least 5-6 weeks, should be soon, no?
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
Dbalks wrote:
Ward2012 wrote:

I attended the chat. There wasnt too much worth noting. Basically everyone wanted to know where they could send additional info, if they should tell MIT they are the only school they applied to or first choice, Timing, etc. Answers were send it to waitlist email address, yes, anytime between Rd 2 decisions and first day of class respectively.

Not that I am overexcited about it, but a sense of optimism as moderators shared they were probably more conservative this year in offering admissions given last years over allotment. So maybe they will utilize the waitlist. They also mentioned in years past WL movement has been around 10 per year, so theres hope there.

My hope is just a ton more people applied in Rd 1 then Rd 2, so we kind of did ourselves no favors applying early. If thats the case, maybe round 2 will stack up less competitive and we can sneak in then.

Agreed. The chat information is pretty much the same as anything you can easily google. In any case, they will put up a transcript of it in a few days.

As for round1 being heavily stacked, I feel that is entirely possible, but I don't know to what degree. The GMAT added the IR section on June 2nd or 3rd, so ostensibly a great number of folks took it before the change and a heavier round 1 for all schools resulted.

Nevertheless, 10 off the waitlist is a really small figure especially considering they only grab candidates who match the ones they need to replace. It's unfortunate because ideally they would select candidates based on merit alone, not demographic, then only could they rank the waitlist and give everyone a much better idea of how they are going to fare.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
Send PM
Guys, I need some advice. I applied to Sloan in round 2. I have recently been notified that I am one of the finalists for the Fulbright award for young entrepreneurs (which is a big fat grant to study in the US). I was wondering if I should write an email to the admission committee to keep them up to date with this process. What do you think, would it be out of line?? thanks
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.82
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Salvo81 wrote:
Guys, I need some advice. I applied to Sloan in round 2. I have recently been notified that I am one of the finalists for the Fulbright award for young entrepreneurs (which is a big fat grant to study in the US). I was wondering if I should write an email to the admission committee to keep them up to date with this process. What do you think, would it be out of line?? thanks

Since R2 interview invites are about to go out, chances are your application has already been scored, and so they may be hesitant to go back and rescore your application -- it wouldn't really be fair to everybody else. But during your interview, the first question they'll ask is if you have any updates to your application.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 55 [0]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 750 Q49 V44
GPA: 3.38
WE:Engineering (Computer Software)
Send PM
folks,

have any waitlisters tried emailing the waitlist alias? it doesn't work for me -- keeps saying unknown address

mbawaitlinglist@sloan.mit.edu
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
GMAT 1: 770 Q50 V46
GPA: 3.82
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
pinchharmonic wrote:
folks,

have any waitlisters tried emailing the waitlist alias? it doesn't work for me -- keeps saying unknown address

mbawaitlinglist@sloan.mit.edu

Got an extra L in waiting.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 48 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Strategy, Marketing
GMAT 1: 710 Q43 V45
GMAT 2: 700 Q42 V42
GMAT 3: 760 Q48 V48
GPA: 3.51
WE:Marketing (Consulting)
Send PM
Salvo81 wrote:

I retook the GMAT (and scored significantly higher) the day the Sloan app was due (but after the time deadline) and they were not hesitant at all to accept my higher score after my app was submitted. Caveat though: I submitted the higher score maybe 2 days after the deadline and the holidays I'm sure gave me some more leeway.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 57 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q48 V44
GPA: 3.55
WE:Information Technology (Insurance)
Send PM
From the past timelines it looks like interview invites should go out this week for Round 2, maybe next at the latest. Do other people concur?

Does anyone know if MIT sends them out all at once or over several weeks? I'm flying into Boston next week for an interview with another school. Though I certainly would be thrilled to fly back to Boston to interview with MIT a few weeks later, my pocketbook would much rather get it done all at once!
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 38 [0]
Given Kudos: 23
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
Send PM
kschmidt1801 wrote:
From the past timelines it looks like interview invites should go out this week for Round 2, maybe next at the latest. Do other people concur?

Does anyone know if MIT sends them out all at once or over several weeks? I'm flying into Boston next week for an interview with another school. Though I certainly would be thrilled to fly back to Boston to interview with MIT a few weeks later, my pocketbook would much rather get it done all at once!

At least based on R1, the interview invites are sent out over the period of a few weeks. R1 invites started on December 4 (deadline was October 24) and I believe went all the way up until the decision day (January 29).
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 64 [4]
Given Kudos: 13
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
Schools: Tuck '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 770 Q49 V46
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
beHappy wrote:
tigerd wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Well, last year it was 0%, considering no one was taken off the waitlist.

Well, that's not entirely true, because a lucky handful of R1 waitlisters were accepted last year in R2. Maybe around 10?

Hi all!

I found out that a Sloan MBA student committed suicide last year because of the pressure. I am considering Sloan, but I have to admit that I am shocked at the discovery. All business schools are a lot of work but I never heard about anybody committing suicide at a top business school. Maybe after all, Sloan is not that good? The purpose of business school is to build your network and improve your skill set. How could a business school drive its students to suicide?

That is an unfair and unqualified analysis. It is sad enough that someone with their entire life ahead of them resorted to suicide; it is entirely unreasonable however, to pin the cause for their actions on the business school. Have b-school students never committed suicide before? Does this reflect on the school, or its culture, or its rigor?

I don't want to dwell too much on this subject, but if you'd read each article on the unfortunate event carefully, you'd note that the student had worked for 5 years in Investment Banking on Wall Street - on paper, she was well equipped to handle the rigor and pressures of business education.

Business schools are tough - the application process, the experience, recruitment - all aspects of it. I believe however, that this prepares you for a tough, competitive, cut-throat world once you graduate. This does not mean that b-schools are like boot camp, where only the fittest will survive and all others will perish.

Every current student and alumnus I have spoken to has told me the same thing - Your b-school experience is what you make of it. It will be incredibly challenging, but also be an awesome life experience.

A student committed suicide - let us leave it at that. Any attempt to dissect her motivations or deduce her compulsions will be an insult to her memory.

MBAWanderlust
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 42 [0]
Given Kudos: 9
Concentration: Healthcare, Strategy
GMAT 1: 750 Q47 V46
GRE 1: Q790 V750
GPA: 3.65
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
beHappy wrote:
tigerd wrote:
thebdouglas wrote:
Well, last year it was 0%, considering no one was taken off the waitlist.

Well, that's not entirely true, because a lucky handful of R1 waitlisters were accepted last year in R2. Maybe around 10?

Hi all!

I found out that a Sloan MBA student committed suicide last year because of the pressure. I am considering Sloan, but I have to admit that I am shocked at the discovery. All business schools are a lot of work but I never heard about anybody committing suicide at a top business school. Maybe after all, Sloan is not that good? The purpose of business school is to build your network and improve your skill set. How could a business school drive its students to suicide?

My close friend attended high school with that girl and kept in contact with her. I don't want to go pouring out her personal life on here, but I'll say that according to my friend, she had significant personal issues weighing down on her. He didn't mention anything about her struggling academically.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  57   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts