Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 11:07 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 11:07

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 4
WE:Accounting (Accounting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
Re: 2013 Admissions Thread - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
I got into and will be attending UNC this May, so I'm pretty excited as this was my top choice and the only only school I applied to.

GPA: 3.7ish
GMAT: 660 (Q47, V35 or 36 [can't remember], 6 AWA)
ECs/Work Experience: Was active in school's investment group, couple of leadership positions in a multicultural group, worked in corporate finance department of a company

Is anyone else going to UNC?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Concentration: Accounting
GRE 1: Q780 V660
GPA: 3.97
Send PM
wannabeCPA wrote:
I got into and will be attending UNC this May, so I'm pretty excited as this was my top choice and the only only school I applied to.

ECs/Work Experience: Was active in school's investment group, couple of leadership positions in a multicultural group, worked in corporate finance department of a company

I will be.

GRE (old): 1440 (660V / 780V)
ECs/Work: Dept. Representative for School of Social Sciences Advisory Council, Presidential Campaign, Teacher (Social Studies, Mathematics)

Any plans for housing?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
tarheel1226 wrote:
wannabeCPA wrote:

I will be.

GRE (old): 1440 (660V / 780V)
ECs/Work: Dept. Representative for School of Social Sciences Advisory Council, Presidential Campaign, Teacher (Social Studies, Mathematics)

Any plans for housing?

I haven't decided housing and whatnot yet. I very recently submitted my deposit and am working on filing out my forms and getting my official transcripts in. I may live on campus but I'm very unsure at the moment and haven't done much homework. I'm from quite literally the opposite site of the country, so I might avoid off-campus housing just because it's a huge hassle to move all my stuff for one year and there's less overhead I'll have to deal with, but nothing's final yet. The facebook group seems to be blowing up with housing stuff though. What about yourself?

I see that your data bar on the left-hand side of the screen has K-F '15, so I'm assuming you're in the MBA and not the MAC or am I missing something?
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Pulchritudinous wrote:
Stats:

GMAT: 690
GPA: 3.6
Non-accounting background

Applied only to UT-Austin and I just logged into my application page and saw that I was admitted! It took me a while to realize what I was looking at. I've been checking this page 50 times a day like a neurotic maniac. I'm SO happy! I've been stressing about this for two months. For those of you that got in, do you happen to know, if the financial aid information is supposed to be on the acceptance page or do we get it in some other way (if I received anything at all that is)?

Congrats on the acceptance! I was told that they'd release financial aid infor sometime before your response deadlien
Manager
Manager
Send PM
jray25 wrote:
Pulchritudinous wrote:
Stats:

GMAT: 690
GPA: 3.6
Non-accounting background

Applied only to UT-Austin and I just logged into my application page and saw that I was admitted! It took me a while to realize what I was looking at. I've been checking this page 50 times a day like a neurotic maniac. I'm SO happy! I've been stressing about this for two months. For those of you that got in, do you happen to know, if the financial aid information is supposed to be on the acceptance page or do we get it in some other way (if I received anything at all that is)?

Congrats on the acceptance! I was told that they'd release financial aid infor sometime before your response deadlien

First of all, congratulations! You will be contacted if you are getting a scholarship. If you are looking for extra cash, I would strongly recommend that you ask about graduate assistantships.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 8 [0]
GPA: 2.81
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:
juangalt wrote:
denied at UT :(

Tough break, man. You still have USC in the bag, so kudos. I can't wait to hear about your Wake offer. Good luck.

Accepted at Wake Forest w/ 75% scholarship!

wasn't at all expecting to be offered that much so it makes the choice way harder. USC gave me about 20% only...

I was also pretty impressed with the interview with Wake, it seems they have good job placement. she said most of the people end up in NY, Boston, Chicago, DC and very few stay in state unless they have roots there. My understanding is that USC has great job placement in CA and west coast but i dont know about NY/DC. I really want to go into tax so im curious how Wake's tax track measures up to the USC MBT for that career.
Manager
Manager
Send PM
juangalt wrote:
UTMPA2011 wrote:
juangalt wrote:
denied at UT :(

Tough break, man. You still have USC in the bag, so kudos. I can't wait to hear about your Wake offer. Good luck.

Accepted at Wake Forest w/ 75% scholarship!

wasn't at all expecting to be offered that much so it makes the choice way harder. USC gave me about 20% only...

I was also pretty impressed with the interview with Wake, it seems they have good job placement. she said most of the people end up in NY, Boston, Chicago, DC and very few stay in state unless they have roots there. My understanding is that USC has great job placement in CA and west coast but i dont know about NY/DC. I really want to go into tax so im curious how Wake's tax track measures up to the USC MBT for that career.

I think you have a difficult decision to make. If you are looking for a broader offering of tax courses, the USC MBT program is definitely the best program. The Wake Forest program is focused on teaching to the CPA exam. As far as job placement, I was not able to find any specific employment information for the USC MBT program. However, I don't believe that you would be limited to the west coast by going to USC. If you are wondering which one will give you better career opportunities, I can't tell you. Honestly, your career trajectory will depend on you. Both programs will land you a Big 4 gig, but your success will depend on you. I would suggest that you strongly consider the cost of each program. Even with the tuition differential, L.A. is much more expensive than Winston-Salem. Also, if you go to work at a Big 4 firm, you will specialize in a particular area of tax: international, corporate, partnership, private wealth (individuals/closely held businesses). Regardless of your choice, I think both schools will give you great opportunities. Congratulations!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Send PM
Has anybody got into Indiana-MSA/Ohio-MAccc/TAMU-MSA/UIUC-MSA for 2013-14?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Applying to W&M, Vanderbilt, UNC CH, Wake Forest.

Stats:
3.74 Engineering, top 20 Public School
650 GMAT

UNC CH: Scheduled Interview
W&M: Submitted Application
Vanderbilt: Invited to Nashville for Discover Weekend
Wake Forest: Invited to Done in a Day

Is anyone familiar with Wake's Done in a Day event? Also, What are my chances of a scholarship to Wake?

Thanks
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 11 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
jaymaccapp wrote:

Stats:
650 GMAT

Is anyone familiar with Wake's Done in a Day event? Also, What are my chances of a scholarship to Wake?

Thanks

The Done in a Day event gives you the opportunity to interview, explore the campus, and receive a decision quickly. I would say that your profile is only slightly above average for Wake. I would only anticipate about a 25% scholarship if anything. Your background is probably better suited for Vanderbilt or UNC, but engineering is an interesting background in an accounting program. Still, you should have a compelling reason to pursue accounting. If you are considering pursuing an MBA later in your career, I would strongly recommend the UNC program. However, Wake does have the MSA/MBA option. You should ask about it if you are interested.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 19 [1]
Given Kudos: 9
Send PM
Kudos
jaymaccapp wrote:

Stats:
650 GMAT

Thanks

You should be good at UNC. I had similar stats (slightly higher GMAT, but same or slightly lower GPA) but went to a non-elite public school and did a less rigorous major and still got in. I can't comment on Wake forest sadly as I didn't apply, but I just thought I'd throw in a quick word about UNC. If you're considering any careers outside of accounting, UNC is a really good option and has a great network for other finance jobs you'd be able to tap into. After speaking with admissions in my interview, it was very apparent that the school is supportive of people who want to do something besides public accounting, which was important to me. I've heard that wake's curriculum is very to the CPA exam, while UNC was much more holistic and gives you the technical accounting courses while also allowing you to take other electives in finance. I hope I'm not sounding like I'm bad mouthing wake (not AT ALL my intent) because it's a very good school with a super high CPA pass rate and places well, but I just thought I'd throw that out there in case you're like me and looking at things outside of public accounting as well. UT, Michigan, and USC seem to do a good job of keeping this possibility open as well from what I've seen.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 3
Send PM
UTMPA2011 wrote:
catthanby wrote:
I have been accepted at UT!

Posted from my mobile device

Nice! Congratulations!

Thank you! I know this is slightly off topic, but do you (or anyone else) have suggestions on moving to Austin? Finding housing in the area?
Manager
Manager
Send PM
catthanby wrote:
UTMPA2011 wrote:
catthanby wrote:
I have been accepted at UT!

Posted from my mobile device

Nice! Congratulations!

Thank you! I know this is slightly off topic, but do you (or anyone else) have suggestions on moving to Austin? Finding housing in the area?

You should really visit Austin if you have the chance. Look at the Capital Metro (bus) website for routes. As a UT student, you can ride for free. Also, UT has special routes to take you to campus (don't pay for parking). I would recommend that you call the school and ask to speak to a traditional MPA student (not an integrated MPA student) about housing, night life, etc.
Intern
Intern
GPA: 2.78
WE:Project Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Anybody here applying to UGA?

Also, does anyone have any pointers for interviews at UNC and Wake Forest? I'm doing the done in a day program at Wake and I've heard it may be two panel interviews? Thanks!
Intern
Intern
Send PM
marcopolo8 wrote:
Anybody here applying to UGA?

Also, does anyone have any pointers for interviews at UNC and Wake Forest? I'm doing the done in a day program at Wake and I've heard it may be two panel interviews? Thanks!

I did not do the done in a day event, but I did interview at Wake Forest. In that case it was one interviewer - the same lady who had already been in contact with me a few times about admissions information. We talked in her office for about 25 minutes, and it was entirely based on my resume. She seemed to just be clarifying information I had already given them about how I have spent my Summers while in college and the jobs I have had. So, your interview may not be exactly the same situation but I would expect it to still be fairly laid-back. Both the interview and the preview day I attended were similar.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Just checked my status on the UT Austin website and I have been admitted!!! :)

I haven't gotten the official email from them yet though... does anyone know how long they wait to send those out?
Intern
Intern
Send PM
actressinpink wrote:
Just checked my status on the UT Austin website and I have been admitted!!! :)

I haven't gotten the official email from them yet though... does anyone know how long they wait to send those out?

Congrats! If I remember correctly, you should get a couple of emails about it tomorrow. I believe I got an email from the MyStatus page as well as an email from the admissions rep. The second one took me to a page where I could accept or decline the offer.
GMAT Club Bot
   1   2   3   4   
Moderator:
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts