Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 13:12 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 13:12

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 311 [50]
Given Kudos: 1
Schools:Darden School of Business (Class of 2012)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [43]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 4798 [15]
Given Kudos: 10
Send PM
General Discussion
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 195 [4]
Given Kudos: 12
Concentration: General Management, Sustainability
WE:Consulting (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Determining the authenticity of purported pre-Columbian artifacts is [#permalink]
Kudos
I have eliminated A,B,C because all of them are either metal or pottery.
Now between D and E, both are cloth and seems to be answers.

But when I reread the passage "true pre-Columbian artifacts show a darkening in surface color that is caused by centuries of exposure to the minute amounts of
magnesium in the soil of the Americas", it says that the cloth should be exposed to the soil. This is the point.

So D is the answer. Because black feather cape inside the burial vault would have no exposure the the soil. And so this method is not effective in Determining the authenticity.
Manhattan Prep Instructor
Affiliations: ManhattanGMAT
Own Kudos [?]: 7018 [2]
Concentration: Journalism
 Q47  V47 GMAT 2: 770  Q49  V48
Send PM
Re: Determining the authenticity of purported pre-Columbian artifacts is [#permalink]
Kudos
Expert Reply
Aha. I just checked other people. I agree that the vault itself does not imply that it wasn't in the dirt. The issue is that it's black.

-t
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 175 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
Concentration: Non-profit
Send PM
This one is easy D but i think the paragraph is quite long for a typical CR question. I dont think GMAT question can be that long though.
Kaplan GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 645 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Expert Reply
gmatfighter12 wrote:
This one is easy D but i think the paragraph is quite long for a typical CR question. I dont think GMAT question can be that long though.

This post is pretty old, but it never got answered and some other folks have brought this thread back from the dead. So: yes, they can! GMAT CR questions are typically a bit shorter than this, but some of them can be long paragraphs. Flip through the Official Guide, and you'll see a few examples of textually dense passages like this one. On such passages, it's vitally important that you start with the question stem. You can't spend a long time reading the text, so you need to know what you are looking for before you dive in!

Best,
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 453 [0]
Given Kudos: 123
Send PM
lordw wrote:
Determining the authenticity of purported pre-Columbian artifacts is never easy. Carbon-14 dating of these artifacts is often impossible due to contamination by radioactive palladium (which occurs naturally in the soils of Central and South America). However, historians and anthropologists have evolved two reliable criteria, which, utilized in combination, have proven effective for dating these artifacts. First, because authentic pre-Columbian artifacts characteristically occur in a coarse, granular matrix that is shifted by major earthquakes, they often exhibit the unique scratch patterns known as gridding. In addition, true pre-Columbian artifacts show a darkening in surface color that is caused by centuries of exposure to the minute amounts of magnesium in the soil of the Americas.

The criteria above would be LEAST useful in judging the authenticity of which of the following?

(A) An ax head of black obsidian, unearthed from a kitchen midden
(B) A pottery bowl with a red ocher design, found in the ruins of a temple
(C) A set of gold ear weights, ornamented with jasper pendants
(D) A black feather cape from a king’s burial vault
(E) A multicolored woven sash found near the gravesite of a slave

Combination of two tests are done in this argument,

T 1 : because authentic pre-Columbian artifacts characteristically occur in a coarse, granular matrix that is shifted by major earthquakes, they often exhibit the unique scratch patterns known as gridding.
T 2: true pre-Columbian artifacts show a darkening in surface color that is caused by centuries of exposure to the minute amounts of magnesium in the soil of the Americas.

This can have some gridding and can show a darkening in surface color

Black feather cape -> how will the feather be affected by a the earthquake, wont it be like torn apart, on top of that it is black in color

sash again this was a close one too, sash is again quite soft, but compared with D. it can get some gridding

IMO D
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 67 [0]
Send PM
Determining the authenticity of purported pre-Columbian artifacts is never easy. Carbon-14 dating of these artifacts is often impossible due to contamination by radioactive palladium (which occurs naturally in the soils of Central and South America). However, historians and anthropologists have evolved two reliable criteria, which, utilized in combination, have proven effective for dating these artifacts. First, because authentic pre-Columbian artifacts characteristically occur in a coarse, granular matrix that is shifted by major earthquakes, they often exhibit the unique scratch patterns known as gridding. In addition, true pre-Columbian artifacts show a darkening in surface color that is caused by centuries of exposure to the minute amounts of magnesium in the soil of the Americas.

The criteria above would be LEAST useful in judging the authenticity of which of the following?

Can have scratch patterns but not darkening as it is black.

Can have scratch patterns and darkening.

Can have scratch patterns and become dark.

Can't have scratch pattern as it's feather cape and can't be darkened as its black.

Cannot have scratch pattern as its fabric but can have darkening effect.
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 848 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club VerbalBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
CR Forum Moderator
832 posts