Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 22:00 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 22:00

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 2
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V41
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [2]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Finance, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 740 Q45 V47
GPA: 3.48
WE:Corporate Finance (Energy and Utilities)
Send PM
VP
VP
Own Kudos [?]: 447 [2]
Given Kudos: 74
GMAT 1: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Sales (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [8]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 720 Q49 V40
GPA: 3.76
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Re: Chicago (Booth) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
Kudos
Hi guys,

For those who missed it, here is a transcript of "Entrepreneurship at Booth" chat conducted today.

GL!
Attachments

Chicago_Polsky_transcript.pdf [209.95 KiB]
Downloaded 230 times

Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [0]
Given Kudos: 17
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V42
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
lennoxRU wrote:
Hi guys,

For those who missed it, here is a transcript of "Entrepreneurship at Booth" chat conducted today.

GL!

Good stuff; thanks!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 96
Send PM
Anyone in their research come across round 3 applicants who get 20+k in scholarships? Is this still a possibility?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Given Kudos: 116
Concentration: Finance, International Business
WE:Operations (Consumer Products)
Send PM
trentsteel wrote:
AlphaStylist wrote:
Waiting for the interview invites is a pain :(

At least they give a date certain for the notification. In my opinion it makes it much more bearable than "we start issuing invites the day after applications are due and continue all the way up until the admission decision deadline". With Booth you submit and don't need to worry about what may or may not hit your inbox until the 13th. On the 13th if you were going to be denied without interview they stop your suffering early.

I really do hop that they 'end' my suffering on the 13th!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [1]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: Entrepreneurship, Finance
GMAT 1: 740 Q50 V38
GPA: 3.94
WE:General Management (Internet and New Media)
Send PM
Kudos
I beg to differ.. I had an admit from Booth last year and spoke to quite a few current students... Though the adcoms will not admit it, when all else is nearly equal (as it shud be for admitted applicants), the GMAT score is one of the main drivers of fellowship consideration... The Tobaccowala Fellowship for Indian students at Chicago Booth went to a guy with a 780 on the GMAT

So yes it is worth retaking the GMAT and scoring in excess of 770.

cheetarah1980 wrote:
dwal44 wrote:
Retake GMAT after being admitted in hopes of scholarship? This might be ridiculous, does anyone know anything about this? I got in round 1, and now I'm starting to take a hard look at those $50,000 tuition payments (makes each time I held off on the guac at chipotle a little less meaningful). I'd say the weakest part of my app was my GMAT (720 with sub-70 percentile quant and very high verbal). Would bringing up this score make me a viable scholarship candidate or is this foolish? Thanks guys!

Waste of time. GMAT score is small factor for fellowship consideration. Plus consideration for fellowships is the application you submitted for admission and possibly an additional essay (if required). Not everyone qualifies for every available award. I would talk to financial aid about your concerns and see if there are any fellowships they feel you should apply for. But I don't think retaking the GMAT will have any bearing on the money you could get from Booth.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
schumacher24 wrote:
I beg to differ.. I had an admit from Booth last year and spoke to quite a few current students... Though the adcoms will not admit it, when all else is nearly equal (as it shud be for admitted applicants), the GMAT score is one of the main drivers of fellowship consideration... The Tobaccowala Fellowship for Indian students at Chicago Booth went to a guy with a 780 on the GMAT

cheetarah1980 wrote:
dwal44 wrote:
Retake GMAT after being admitted in hopes of scholarship? This might be ridiculous, does anyone know anything about this? I got in round 1, and now I'm starting to take a hard look at those $50,000 tuition payments (makes each time I held off on the guac at chipotle a little less meaningful). I'd say the weakest part of my app was my GMAT (720 with sub-70 percentile quant and very high verbal). Would bringing up this score make me a viable scholarship candidate or is this foolish? Thanks guys!

Waste of time. GMAT score is small factor for fellowship consideration. Plus consideration for fellowships is the application you submitted for admission and possibly an additional essay (if required). Not everyone qualifies for every available award. I would talk to financial aid about your concerns and see if there are any fellowships they feel you should apply for. But I don't think retaking the GMAT will have any bearing on the money you could get from Booth.

Would they even accept a higher GMAT though after the application is finished? It is certainly worth it to ask admissions before re-taking. They can shed light better on this.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 7 [0]
Send PM
I did check with the Ad Com and once a student is admitted they do accept updates to the application like promotions/honors received/GMAT improvements to decide on scholarships (if they have not done so already).

There is no harm in trying the way I look at it. Its a cheap call option. You pay a premium of 250 USD, forego theta of 1 month (in GMAT prep) and in case the option pays off - you can net anywhere between USD 10k and USD 40k

Quote:
Would they even accept a higher GMAT though after the application is finished? It is certainly worth it to ask admissions before re-taking. They can shed light better on this.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 15 [0]
Given Kudos: 16
GMAT 1: 730 Q47 V42
GPA: 3.56
WE:Corporate Finance (Computer Hardware)
Send PM
schumacher24 wrote:
I did check with the Ad Com and once a student is admitted they do accept updates to the application like promotions/honors received/GMAT improvements to decide on scholarships (if they have not done so already).

There is no harm in trying the way I look at it. Its a cheap call option. You pay a premium of 250 USD, forego theta of 1 month (in GMAT prep) and in case the option pays off - you can net anywhere between USD 10k and USD 40k

Quote:

interesting, good to know! So the real question is if the ~month studying could be better spent on applying to other fellowships. I'm just starting to look at other scholarships/fellowships and they seem relatively small compared to the potential pay out from a school offered one. I haven't done much research yet though, so other info on this is appreciated.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Apply to all the scholarships you can mate ! What do you have to lose ;) However, the b-school scholarships offer the highest amounts in US Dollars. So, if time is limited, try gunning for the b-school scholarships by improving your GMAT score.

Quote:
interesting, good to know! So the real question is if the ~month studying could be better spent on applying to other fellowships. I'm just starting to look at other scholarships/fellowships and they seem relatively small compared to the potential pay out from a school offered one. I haven't done much research yet though, so other info on this is appreciated.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 49 [1]
Given Kudos: 17
GPA: 3.3
Send PM
Kudos
schumacher24 wrote:

cheetarah1980 wrote:
dwal44 wrote:

I wish a high GMAT were one of the main drivers of getting accepted lol.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
I have lived in the shadow of the Gleacher Center (where booth is), for years. I live one block away. I applied, finally, 2nd round. Since yesterday, i heard back from UMichigan Ross (interview invite, yay!), and in order to improve my chances of an interview invite from Booth, i doing the obvious thing: I'm mounting a vigil at the Gleacher Center until Feb 13! Today, two hours, of dancing, ah..., talking with the janitors, in -13 degrees Celsius temperatures, was a success!! I will mount the vigil every night 12am-2am, until the R2 invites are sent... yeah yeah....laugh at me, but when i get my interview invite and and....

Gleacher Center, all of downtown Chicago, former Indian burial grounds. So, giving peace offerings, dancing to indiana songs, praying, fitting in order to change that 'deny' into an 'interview invite'. Watch this place...

Originally posted by VoyagerII on 05 Feb 2013, 00:14.
Last edited by VoyagerII on 11 Feb 2013, 14:54, edited 1 time in total.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 53 [0]
Given Kudos: 27
Concentration: Marketing, Healthcare
Schools: Chicago Booth - Class of 2015
WE:Engineering (Health Care)
Send PM
Next round of crazy coming up next week!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 45 [0]
Send PM
Prudence wrote:
Next round of crazy coming up next week!

Yeah, waiting here.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 25 [0]
Given Kudos: 15
Concentration: Economics, Social Entrepreneurship
GPA: 3.76
WE:Analyst (Other)
Send PM
Does anyone know what time Booth releases mid-decisions on Wednesday?
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
It looks like round 1 mid-decisions were released at about 9am EST.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
Concentration: Finance, Real Estate
GPA: 4
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
lennoxRU wrote:
Does anyone know what time Booth releases mid-decisions on Wednesday?

If I recall correctly 9 am Chicago Time.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 12 [0]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Does anyone know exactly how alumni interviews are being scheduled? I'm assuming it's a little different from Columbia's ambassador program. The one thing I'm really interested to know is whether the alum knows that you are matched to him/her before you actually contact that alum? I'm asking because my boss went to Booth, and although it's extremely unlikely that I'm matched to him, I would rather that not be a possibility at all given that I don't want my co-workers and least of all my boss to know that I may be leaving in a couple months...
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  37   38   39   40   41   42   43  ...  84   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6917 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts