Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 13:05 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 13:05

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [9]
Given Kudos: 91
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Most Helpful Reply
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [8]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
General Discussion
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 372 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Send PM
Re: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the [#permalink]
Much faster: draw 4 quadrants
______________Male (52%) _____ Female (48%)
Married :__________70%____________50%
Not Married:_______30%____________50%

Therefore: the probability of picking one random person Not Married (he or she) is: 0,52 x 0,30 + 0,50 x 0,50 = 0,15 + 0,25 (approx.)
Solution: approx. 0,4 (answer B)
Math Expert
Own Kudos [?]: 619008 [1]
Given Kudos: 81595
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
megafan wrote:
Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the employees are male and 48 percent are female. In this company 70 percent of the male employees are married and 50 percent of the female employees are married. If one employee in the company is randomly selected, approximately what is the probability that he or she is NOT married?

(A) 0.3
(B) 0.4
(C) 0.5
(D) 0.6
(E) 0.7

Source: GMAT Hacks 1800

Another "stolen" question.

Original GMAT Prep question:
Quote:
In the graduating class of a certain college, 48 percent of the students are male and 52 percent are female. In this class 40 percent of the male and 20 percent of the female students are 25 years old or older. If one student in the class is randomly selected, approximately what is the probability that he or she will be less than 25 years old?

A. 0.9
B. 0.7
C. 0.45
D. 0.3
E. 0.25

Discussed here: in-the-graduating-class-of-a-certain-college-48-percent-of-129382.html
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 797 [0]
Concentration: Strategy, General Management
GMAT Date: 03-22-2013
GPA: 3.57
WE:Information Technology (Consulting)
Send PM
Bunuel wrote:

All of his 1800 questions are "stolen" from OG, GMATPrep, Paper Tests etc.. but all are "GMAT-like" questions, that's why they are better.

I'm not sure if you've taken the GMAT yet, but I am really curious to know if the Real GMAT questions are "stolen" from GMAT Prep, OG etc.. or I'm guessing they are very similar. Is that true?
GMAT Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 9244 [2]
 Q51  V47
Send PM
Kudos
Expert Reply
megafan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

All of his 1800 questions are "stolen" from OG, GMATPrep, Paper Tests etc.. but all are "GMAT-like" questions, that's why they are better.

I'm not sure if you've taken the GMAT yet, but I am really curious to know if the Real GMAT questions are "stolen" from GMAT Prep, OG etc.. or I'm guessing they are very similar. Is that true?

In my experience, no, that's not true at all. I mostly have experience only with the higher level questions on the real test, but I find on the real GMAT they find all kinds of inventive and unfamiliar ways to test the same basic concepts you've seen in the OG and GMATPrep. The questions are certainly not simple copies of OG questions with a few numbers changed. So to do well on the GMAT, you need a strong enough conceptual foundation that you can adapt to whatever new question setups you see on test day.

I find questions like the one in this thread to be of almost no value to test takers. You won't learn anything more by studying this question than you would learn by studying its GMATPrep equivalent, and of course you should be studying all of the official questions you can find. I certainly don't think this question is worth paying money for. Unfortunately, it seems to be an increasingly common practice in GMAT test prep circles - companies want to advertise that they have thousands of questions, but when the questions are essentially identical to what you find in the OG or GMATPrep, they really aren't worth very much.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 418 [1]
Given Kudos: 16
Send PM
Bookmarks
Total Males = 52
Total Female = 48
Total = 100

Not married Male = 30% = 15.6
Not marries Female = 50% = 24
Total = 39.6

Probability = 39.6/100 = .396 = apprx .4

hence B
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 32878 [0]
Given Kudos: 4455
Send PM
Re: R: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of t [#permalink]
IanStewart wrote:
megafan wrote:
Bunuel wrote:

In my experience, no, that's not true at all. I mostly have experience only with the higher level questions on the real test, but I find on the real GMAT they find all kinds of inventive and unfamiliar ways to test the same basic concepts you've seen in the OG and GMATPrep. The questions are certainly not simple copies of OG questions with a few numbers changed. So to do well on the GMAT, you need a strong enough conceptual foundation that you can adapt to whatever new question setups you see on test day.

I find questions like the one in this thread to be of almost no value to test takers. You won't learn anything more by studying this question than you would learn by studying its GMATPrep equivalent, and of course you should be studying all of the official questions you can find. I certainly don't think this question is worth paying money for. Unfortunately, it seems to be an increasingly common practice in GMAT test prep circles - companies want to advertise that they have thousands of questions, but when the questions are essentially identical to what you find in the OG or GMATPrep, they really aren't worth very much.

completely agree with Ian : it's like to do 3+2 with OG and 2+3 with a prep company book....... basically the same. after a while is difficult to improve

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2
Veritas Prep GMAT Instructor
Own Kudos [?]: 633 [0]
Given Kudos: 66
Send PM
Re: R: Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of t [#permalink]
Expert Reply
carcass wrote:
IanStewart wrote:

completely agree with Ian : it's like to do 3+2 with OG and 2+3 with a prep company book....... basically the same. after a while is difficult to improve

Inviato dal mio Nexus 4 con Tapatalk 2

I'll stay away from the whole stolen/not stolen debate, but I would like to add that modifying questions can be very helpful in thoroughly understanding concepts. I wouldn't say 3+2 and 2+3, because that's essentially the same question, just as changing 50% to 40% doesn't change anything in the method, only the calculations.

However, imagine if the information was the same, but the question asked for the probability of a married male, or an unmarried female. Or the probability of picking two people who weren't married, or picking two with at least one of the two being married. There are so many possible ways to modify the question that properly understanding the concepts is the only way to get them all. Changing one percentage for another doesn't add any value, but I believe that looking at the question from a different angle can help shore up common misconceptions and foster stronger understanding of core concepts.

Hope this helps!
-Ron
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Given Kudos: 79
Concentration: Healthcare, Finance
Send PM
megafan wrote:
Among the employees of a certain company, 52 percent of the employees are male and 48 percent are female. In this company 70 percent of the male employees are married and 50 percent of the female employees are married. If one employee in the company is randomly selected, approximately what is the probability that he or she is NOT married?

(A) 0.3
(B) 0.4
(C) 0.5
(D) 0.6
(E) 0.7

Source: GMAT Hacks 1800

Lets assume that we have 1000 employees. Hence, 52% = 520 and 48% = 480. 30% of men not married => 156; 50% women not married => 240

\(\frac{156 + 240}{1000} = 0.396\) (the answer is B)
Non-Human User
Own Kudos [?]: 822 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Hello from the GMAT Club BumpBot!

Thanks to another GMAT Club member, I have just discovered this valuable topic, yet it had no discussion for over a year. I am now bumping it up - doing my job. I think you may find it valuable (esp those replies with Kudos).

Want to see all other topics I dig out? Follow me (click follow button on profile). You will receive a summary of all topics I bump in your profile area as well as via email.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
Math Expert
92914 posts
Senior Moderator - Masters Forum
3137 posts