Last visit was: 23 Apr 2024, 12:37 It is currently 23 Apr 2024, 12:37

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Strategy, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 700 Q45 V41
GPA: 3.29
Send PM
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
Director
Director
Affiliations: Columbia, Wharton, LBS
Own Kudos [?]: 134 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Finance, Accounting, Marketing, Entrepreneurship
Schools:Harvard, Stanford, LBS, Columbia, Wharton, HEC Paris
Send PM
Re: GMAT 580!! What are my chances? [#permalink]
If you could provide some insight into your undergraduate and graduate GPA -- then I can provide you with guidance on the target GMAT score that these schools will be looking for (if you prefer to do this privately, please email me at manhattan review). Just based on the 580 GMAT score, I would recommend that you take the exam again and take preparation seriously (dedicate the time, effort and energy required for your target score). By the simple fact that you attended two premier American programs, I would guess that your SAT and (possibly) GRE scores are high and this simple fact should translate into much high GMAT scores that 580.

Kimberly Plaga
Senior Admissions Consultant
Manhattan Review

Call for a free candidacy assessment.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Send PM
Get a GMAT of 650+, have good essays and a good resume that clearly explains your experience and improvement over the 5.5 years. And with 5% of luck, your 95% guaranteed to get into any of the mentioned schools.

Obviously your engineering background is an asset, since an Eng background teaches you to think critically...etc...

Goodluck BOSS.....

PM if you have questions regarding any of the above, i got into Ivey with an eng background and a subpar GPA, but had great experience....

ASAP
VP
VP
Status:Assisting candidates to get admit in to top global business schools
Affiliations: MBA
Own Kudos [?]: 204 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Schools:HEC, Paris
WE 1: 9 Years
Send PM
Hi,

With the given information, you can target b-schools like: Minnesota-Carlson, Boston-Carroll, Georgia-Terry, Tulane-Freeman, Smeal, Michigan-Broad and William & Mary (Mason). The avg. GMAT range for these b-schools fall between 570-700. You can also try your chances in b-schools by clicking https://www.general-ed.com/chances-of-bschool. The list of your shortlisted b-schools looks ambitious.

You also need to stay focused on your short/long term goals and post-MBA career. An avg. profile can certainly be offset by submitting strong application essays and demonstrating headship qualities during final interviews.

Feel free to post any other concerns you might have.

Cheers!!
Neha

achander wrote:
Hi Friends,

Please forgive me if this has been brought up a million times before. This is my first post in this forum. Here is my background.

I have a Bachelors and a Masters degree in Engineering from two top 10 schools in the United states. I have 4.5 yrs work experience in a fortune 200 company an an Engineer. By the time i apply to Business school, i would have completed 5.5 years in the industry. I had my first attempt at the GMAT and scored a 580. I didn't prepare well, i am planning to take a shot at it again sometime in a month or so.

Here are the schools I want to apply to, what are my chances of getting into these with a 580? (from your experience)

- Richard Ivey
- Queens
- York
- U of T
- Sauder @ U of BC (maybe)

will appreciate any feedback

cheers
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
GPA: 3.7
Send PM
Your chances are good assuming your GMAT is going to improve. I personally believe if you graduated from 2 top 10 programs in engineering, getting a higher GMAT isn't a problem...
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 27 [0]
Send PM
There are two simple facts

1. Complete your MBA from the very best schools. Don't waste your time, money, energy in 2nd tier schools, specially at this time, when jobs are questionable in tier 1 schools.

2. Forget all those holistic selection talk by schools. You are primarily selected based on your GMAT score, plain and simple. Your scholarship depends on GMAT score. No one will tell you this truth but this is the fact. It is worth to spend some time to improve your GMAT.
GMAT Club Bot