Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 19:28 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 19:28

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Tags:
Find Similar Topics  Add a Tag
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 56 [2]
Given Kudos: 10
Schools: York University (Schulich) - Class of 2015
GMAT 1: 750 Q50 V41
GMAT 2: 760 Q50 V42
WE:Engineering (Education)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Concentration: Technology, General Management
GPA: 3.7
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Re: Choosing an MBA in Toronto [#permalink]
With about 5 years of experience and a good academic background, you should not worry much about the brand name. I understand that the brand name is necessary, but it is more important for the people who just did their graduation or have a verly less experience. Ryerson is a decent university. It might not be as big as UFT or York in the terms of brand, but I am sure the quality of education will be more or less the same. Already having a good experience in the industry, you should not have much difficulty in finding the job after graduation. And as you said, it is the best ROI.
Current Student
Own Kudos [?]: 54 [4]
Given Kudos: 2
Concentration: Marketing, Brand Management
Schools:Schulich class of 2012
 Q35  V48
GPA: 3.8
Send PM
Kudos
Schulich is THE school in Canada to go to for CPG recruiting. When I went there, basically every tier-1 CPG firm came to Schulich to find MBA students and the smaller ones would attend networking events. The only one I know for sure won't come to Schulich is Coca-Cola, but that doesn't mean you can't apply. If you are working in a tier-3 firm right now and hoping to move into one of the large ones like Kraft or P&G, Schulich would be the place to do so.

I also agree that I wouldn't worry about the school's brand at your career level. I worked in CPG (including my MBA internship) and people are generally more concerned about the previous brands you managed as opposed to your Alma-maters.

I don't agree with deadlycat that Ryerson's education is subpar in comparison to Schulich or Rotman. The new MBA association in Toronto holds plenty of social events for the three schools (Schulich, Rotman, and Rogers) to get together and the quality of students that go to Ryerson didn't seem any different than the other two schools to me. From my personal experience, every MBA program gets a fair share of poor students. I know for sure about half of my classmates at Schulich were not ready for their MBA, and my good friend at Rotman often had the same complaints.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Send PM
krussell wrote:
Schulich is THE school in Canada to go to for CPG recruiting. When I went there, basically every tier-1 CPG firm came to Schulich to find MBA students and the smaller ones would attend networking events. The only one I know for sure won't come to Schulich is Coca-Cola, but that doesn't mean you can't apply. If you are working in a tier-3 firm right now and hoping to move into one of the large ones like Kraft or P&G, Schulich would be the place to do so.

I also agree that I wouldn't worry about the school's brand at your career level. I worked in CPG (including my MBA internship) and people are generally more concerned about the previous brands you managed as opposed to your Alma-maters.

I don't agree with deadlycat that Ryerson's education is subpar in comparison to Schulich or Rotman. The new MBA association in Toronto holds plenty of social events for the three schools (Schulich, Rotman, and Rogers) to get together and the quality of students that go to Ryerson didn't seem any different than the other two schools to me. From my personal experience, every MBA program gets a fair share of poor students. I know for sure about half of my classmates at Schulich were not ready for their MBA, and my good friend at Rotman often had the same complaints.

After doing research, I think Rotman has a slight advantage, unless your looking into a specific specialization. The brand of each school is at par and getting a job after depends on employer and whether your personality fits the employers profile. Schulich doesn't interview everyone it accepts. I heard ppl from India and China who got accepted, english was a problem for group work etc..

In terms of location.... Rotman is in the best location in Toronto, downtown Toronto. Its located in arguably the richest area in Toronto. Theres infinite things to do when class is out, just walking distances from the school. There are also thousands of places to live in and around campus just walking distances away.

Location for Schulich on the other hand, it is located NEAR (2-5miles) arguably the worst (Jane and Finch) part of the Greater Toronto Area. Lots of Metro housing/low income housing, so finding a DECENT place to live is harder. Things to do after class is very limited. Maybe a few restaurants and bars around Schulich but nothing special at all. If anything, you'd probably want to hang out around Rotman if you looking to mingle with people alike. Obviously there has been incidents in and around campus, but thats for you guys to do your own research, unless someone from wants to challenge me, id be glad to post several incidents.
Schulich building is good and safe, and a parking lot is located directly across the building.

if I had to choose a school, assuming Education/networking/alumni is not a factor (because the schools are similar in rankings) and everything else was a factor, Rotman would be my choice, since its located in the heart of Toronto, and students/professionals surround the campus 24/7. Its just makes one feel SAFER and probably be more enjoyable.

FYI I am neither a Schulich or Rotman student or Future student, so NO BIAS here!
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 637 [0]
Given Kudos: 59
GPA: 2.5
WE:Operations (Hospitality and Tourism)
Send PM
Hello people,can anyone possibly share detailed insights about the MBA program of Richard Ivey in comparison to those you all mentioned already, it will be of great help to me.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sdas wrote:
Hello people,can anyone possibly share detailed insights about the MBA program of Richard Ivey in comparison to those you all mentioned already, it will be of great help to me.

Ivey is arguably the best program in Canada. Its up there with U of T and its better than Schulich and Queen's. I say that cause there are mix reviews on here for Schulich and Queens, and all positive reviews for Rotman and Ivey. But who knows.....

ASAP Biaactthhh
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [0]
Given Kudos: 215
Concentration: Finance, Economics
GPA: 4
Send PM
It doesn't make any sense to compare 1- and 2-year programmes. First decide what duration works best for you. Basically, if you are a career changer or very young, I would go for 2 years. Otherwise, just one. I would rank them as follows.

Two-year:
Rotman > Schulich > Desautels

One-year:
Ivey > Queen's

Forget about any other programme outside these five. It will be a waste of money and time.
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
Some more specific details, in case if anyone researched already.....program concentration, case studies, placements, international exposure etc and most importantly why is its ranking slipping in last few years....anyone can enlighten me

BTW - it is not absolutely out of league to compare this program to 2 year programs, is it? the content is almost similar....but yes, most suited for experienced people (5-10 years) i believe
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [1]
Send PM
Kudos
sdas wrote:
Some more specific details, in case if anyone researched already.....program concentration, case studies, placements, international exposure etc and most importantly why is its ranking slipping in last few years....anyone can enlighten me

BTW - it is not absolutely out of league to compare this program to 2 year programs, is it? the content is almost similar....but yes, most suited for experienced people (5-10 years) i believe

Surf the forum for 20 minutes, then come back, all right?
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Send PM
no sir/ma'm not quiet alright....i have searched the forum enough, dint get hold of much details so sought some more, if you dont have the details, request you to pass by and let others - whoever has details and may like to share help me....this should be ALRIGHT with you
Senior Manager
Senior Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 128 [2]
Send PM
Kudos
sdas wrote:
no sir/ma'm not quiet alright....i have searched the forum enough, dint get hold of much details so sought some more, if you dont have the details, request you to pass by and let others - whoever has details and may like to share help me....this should be ALRIGHT with you

Look dude, the attitude of "everyone here make me a summary of all schools I am interested in" won't get you many answers. If you want feedback you need to show that you have done your homework, thought about the options, and have very specific questions before you make your final decisions. Most people in this forum are very generous with their time and intelligence, but nobody likes a free rider. So let's do something, why don't you tell us where you stand, and I am sure people will be more positive.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 3 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Send PM
sdas wrote:

Like what Duck said, DO YOUR OWN RESEARCH!! Then come back on the forum buddy! Quit being so lazy, otherwise you won't get into any program pal!

Wooooooo! ASAP!!!!!!
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 81 [0]
Given Kudos: 48
Concentration: Finance, Strategy
GMAT 1: 700 Q49 V35
GPA: 3.5
WE:Engineering (Consulting)
Send PM
Ducksworth wrote:
sdas wrote:

Look dude, the attitude of "everyone here make me a summary of all schools I am interested in" won't get you many answers. If you want feedback you need to show that you have done your homework, thought about the options, and have very specific questions before you make your final decisions. Most people in this forum are very generous with their time and intelligence, but nobody likes a free rider. So let's do something, why don't you tell us where you stand, and I am sure people will be more positive.

Served straight-up.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 4 [0]
Given Kudos: 55
GMAT 1: 610 Q48 V27
GPA: 3.5
Send PM
Hi,

I seek advise in shortlisting Canadian B-schools for 2019 intake with the help of my profile below:

I am a Chartered Accountant (CA) from India with two years of work experience post completion of CA.

I've done my articleship in Deloitte for three years in statutory audit (catering companies of various industries including but not limited to NBFC, Asset management companies, infrastructure, Insurance (Life/General - both), etc.). Out of aforementioned three years, two years of work has been post graduation.

My post qualification work experience as a CA has been divided into two areas, as a valuation analyst for 1 year (have valued mostly US based start-up companies) and one year as assistant manager finance in automobile industry.

I have also cleared CFA Level-2 exam in June 2018 and am planning to give Level-3 exam in June 2019. I have volunteered for Make-a-Difference (NGO) for one year as a teacher.

I have done my B.com from Mumbai university with 67% in T.Y.B.com [I don't know if my FYBcom and SYBcom score matters, but it is 55% in each year]. My score in SSC-78.92% and HSC-81%.

Having mentioned above background my GMAT score is a bit on lower side. It is a 610 (Q48V27), IR 55% and AWA 6.0 (89%). I do not intend to reappear GMAT and am looking for 2019 intake in good university.
[Other extra curricular includes participation in half-marathon for a cause, street play in college and making of a youtube short film which got 160,000+ views and 1k likes and 500 subscribers for a zero budget movie made in a week's span.]

Rotman has a GMAT waiver for a candidate who has cleared all three levels of CFA, since my Level 3 is in June 2019, I wont be able to go for this waiver, however, I wanted to know much weight would my CFA Level-2 would add weight to a low GMAT score.

I am looking for Universities like Rotman, Schulich, Ryerson, Alberta, HEC montreal, Sauder, etc. I would really appreciate if anyone can help me understand my chances. Further, If you can suggest good B-schools as per your view, it will be of great help. I am looking for B-schools with placements of above 85-90% within 3 months of graduation and average compensation above CAD 80,000.

Thank you for reading my profile,
Sumit
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 0 [0]
Send PM
oggeunson wrote:
Hello

I am planning on taking an MBA here in Toronto. I've been working for about 5 years now in marketing for in the FMCG industry.
I am looking to continue my career in the field of marketing and am considering the benefits of getting my MBA from 3 possible schools
1. University of Toronto - This is one of the top schools here in Canada. The cost is quite high though but I've only read good things on this.
2. York University - Similar to U of T, I have read good things about this as well. Good reputation and credentials and but a bit expensive as well.
3. Ryerson University - I have this on the list as I consider ROI. I have read other reviews that recognize that Ryerson does NOT have the same credentials as other schools but in terms of content and knowledge it is competitive. In terms of cost, it is definitely there.

It seems like a no-brainer to aim go to University of Toronto or York University but I am considering that if content and education provided by Ryerson would be competitive then maybe it's not a bad way to go. Of course, people have mentioned the value of the network and pedigree provided by the two other schools. Could anyone elaborate on this though so I can better appreciate it?

I'm still quite early in planning this out and have yet to take the GMAT. Any advice you could share would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much

With about 5 years of experience and a good academic background, you should not worry much about the brand name.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderator:
Admitted - Which School Forum Moderator
1131 posts