Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 18:04 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 18:04

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [4]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 18
Concentration: General Management, Finance
GMAT 1: 680 Q41 V41
GMAT 2: 710 Q48 V40
WE:Analyst (Consulting)
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 16 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Concentration: General Management, Marketing
GMAT 1: 690 Q45 V40
GMAT 2: 700 Q47 V40
GPA: 3.99
WE:Business Development (Consumer Products)
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
Re: Duke (Fuqua) 2013 - Calling All Applicants [#permalink]
schumacher27 wrote:
The questions included:
5) One thing you fear about being a Duke student
8) 3 minute elevator pitch for the Dean of Admissions

Sounds like a pretty good interview, hope you rocked it. Many of the questions are re-words of the 'standard grouping'... short and longer term goals, why mba, why our school, etc.
5 is an interesting one and 8 is a great question, I haven't had that elsewhere and its a great way to bullet point your strengths and put a bow on your application.

Thanks for sharing.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
schumacher27 wrote:

Hope my experience helps u guys

This is an interesting question, not sure how I would answer it.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 18 [0]
Given Kudos: 31
Send PM
RoyHalladay wrote:
schumacher27 wrote:

A: Having to support Carlos Boozer
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 147 [0]
Given Kudos: 204
Concentration: Finance
Send PM
Redtailedhawk wrote:
RoyHalladay wrote:
schumacher27 wrote:

A: Having to support Carlos Boozer

I think the biggest fear for me would be "we" losing to Tarheels.....
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [0]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
schumacher27 wrote:
Done with my interview today. It was with an Ad Com member and lasted for exactly an hour. He was friendly and did not try cornering me but he did ask me to explain every transition. There was strong emphasis on my extra-curricular activities during undergrad.

The questions included:
1) Why MBA? Why now?
2) Why Duke?
3) How will your friends describe you?
4) How will your team mates describe you?
6) Post MBA plans
7) One thing u loved about Duke
8) What do you do for fun?
8) 3 minute elevator pitch for the Dean of Admissions
9) Do you have any questions for me

I recommend all applicants to go through their profile VERY well before interviewing with the adcom.
He covered a lot of ground through his questions. He was spontaneous. I was comfortable and did not feel any kind of cross questioning.

interesting! these are completely different questions from what i had when i interviewed with a 2nd yr student back in November. i would have drawn a blank at #5 - sounds like you rocked it though.
Director
Director
Send PM
When answering "Why now" question can you guys talk about the personal reasons such as wanting to finish MBA before we start having kids? or don't want to be 30+ years old when starting a demanding job such as consulting/banking. Not sure, if its a good enough reason for doing the MBA now, as opposed to next year.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
this is kind of a silly question but...

I don't follow college basketball at all. What are the chances that I would get asked a question (casually) about whether I follow Duke basketball or what I thought of last week's game during my interview? I really don't want to come across as being not interested in this huge part of Duke's culture (because I would like to be if I am a student there), but at the same time I don't want to feign enthusiasm for something I know very little about. How much do you think students/alumni/adcom care about this aspect of a candidate's interests in evaluating whether or not he/she is a good fit?

Originally posted by generalsouth on 12 Feb 2013, 12:41.
Last edited by generalsouth on 12 Feb 2013, 12:43, edited 2 times in total.
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Expert Reply
generalsouth wrote:

I don't follow college basketball at all. What are the chances that I would get asked a question (casually) about whether I follow Duke basketball or what I thought of last week's game during my interview? I really don't want to come across as being not interested in this huge part of Duke's culture (because I would like to be if I am a student there), but at the same time I don't want to feign enthusiasm for something I know very little about. How much do you think students/alumni/adcom care about this aspect of a candidate's interests?

You won't get asked about it...and IMO, if you use it as a reason for "why duke" it's a pretty weak answer. Just know that it is a part of student life, but how involved students are in it varies.

Posted from my mobile device
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 22 [1]
Given Kudos: 32
Concentration: General Management, Operations
GMAT 1: 690 Q47 V37
GPA: 3.77
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary620 wrote:
When answering "Why now" question can you guys talk about the personal reasons such as wanting to finish MBA before we start having kids? or don't want to be 30+ years old when starting a demanding job such as consulting/banking. Not sure, if its a good enough reason for doing the MBA now, as opposed to next year.

While I think these are completely valid/ acceptable reasons for yNow, IMO adcom will want a professional reason to be at the forefront of your yNow. With that being said, to give a professional reason on top of a completely unrelated personal one (e.g., having kids), may result in a less concise answer than preferable. If possible I would stick to a strictly professional reason, which I am sure you have. Good luck!
Director
Director
Send PM
generalsouth wrote:

I don't follow college basketball at all. What are the chances that I would get asked a question (casually) about whether I follow Duke basketball or what I thought of last week's game during my interview? I really don't want to come across as being not interested in this huge part of Duke's culture (because I would like to be if I am a student there), but at the same time I don't want to feign enthusiasm for something I know very little about. How much do you think students/alumni/adcom care about this aspect of a candidate's interests in evaluating whether or not he/she is a good fit?

I haven't read any interview report so far in which the interviewee was asked a sports related question. I think if someone does bring up the sports topic, it would defininetly be the applicant himself. I wouldn't worry too much about it.
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [3]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
hailmary620 wrote:
generalsouth wrote:

I haven't read any interview report so far in which the interviewee was asked a sports related question. I think if someone does bring up the sports topic, it would defininetly be the applicant himself. I wouldn't worry too much about it.

On a side note, great answer for what scares you most about being a Duke student... "Although I'm excited about the enthusiastic sports culture at Duke, I know absolutely nothing about college basketball. I'm somewhat worried I'd have a bit of a learning curve getting up to speed for the daily sports small talk."
Director
Director
Own Kudos [?]: 364 [1]
Given Kudos: 109
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GMAT 1: 660 Q44 V37
GMAT 2: 680 Q45 V38
GMAT 3: 710 Q45 V42
GPA: 3.32
WE:Information Technology (Retail)
Send PM
Kudos
aerien wrote:
February 13!! But after that close one against BC last weekend, this will certainly be a good game.

Posted from my mobile device

I'm a BC fan, and will hopefully soon be a Duke fan. That game was crazy... Not as crazy as the notre dame vs louisville game the night before, but... I was expecting duke to absolutely humiliate BC.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
thanks aerien and hailmary620 for easing my irrational qualms :-D
Intern
Intern
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
generalsouth wrote:

On a side note, great answer for what scares you most about being a Duke student... "Although I'm excited about the enthusiastic sports culture at Duke, I know absolutely nothing about college basketball. I'm somewhat worried I'd have a bit of a learning curve getting up to speed for the daily sports small talk."

That is brilliant!
Manager
Manager
Affiliations: Duke Fuqua
Own Kudos [?]: 24 [0]
Given Kudos: 8
Concentration: Strategy
Schools: Duke (Fuqua) - Class of 2015
Send PM
highwyre237 wrote:
hailmary620 wrote:
generalsouth wrote:

you're good!!
Director
Director
Send PM
What do you guys think of using excessive amount of humor during b-school interviews? All my life I have used humor quite extensively during job interviews and that never hurted me. I feel like since b-schools interviews are more casual than job interviews, being funny won't hurt.

During my Tuck interview, my interviewer laughed at pretty much each of my responses (even when I wasn't trying to be funny). He did make a positive comment on my personality, but not sure if its a good thing or not.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 28 [0]
Given Kudos: 1
Concentration: Healthcare, General Management
GMAT Date: 09-14-2012
Send PM
Stupid question, but why cant I export the table from the first page to excel? Doesnt open properly, and wont give me an option to separate by comma delimiters.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  56   57   58   59   60   61   62  ...  92   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts