Last visit was: 25 Apr 2024, 01:19 It is currently 25 Apr 2024, 01:19

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
SORT BY:
Date
Tags:
Show Tags
Hide Tags
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [1]
Given Kudos: 38
GMAT 1: 760 Q47 V48
GMAT 2: 770 Q49 V47
GMAT 3: 780 Q49 V51
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Send PM
Tutor
Own Kudos [?]: 627 [0]
Send PM
Re: Query on Verbal Strategy going into the test [#permalink]
Expert Reply
Hi,

Provided that you get 48+ on Quant, are 80% on SC, and do well on RC then yes that CR should be OK for 700+. Have you taken GMATprep yet? You may want to do that in order to get a data point.

HG.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

Provided that you get 48+ on Quant, are 80% on SC, and do well on RC then yes that CR should be OK for 700+. Have you taken GMATprep yet? You may want to do that in order to get a data point.

HG.

Thanks Again!
I will be taking *just* verbal from GMATPrep tommorow and post you my results for review.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
neerajeai wrote:
HerrGrau wrote:
Hi,

HG.

Thanks Again!
I will be taking *just* verbal from GMATPrep tommorow and post you my results for review.

HG, i took the verbal test today and scored a lowly 30.
Main observations:
1. 75 mins seemed agonizing long to focus on *seemingly* boring content. I was loosing focus very often.
2. I had to race through last 10-12 Q, as i had barely 5 mins to finish them. Needless to say, i got most of them wrong.

I understand that i need to build stamina going into the test (BTW i am 32 already with 10 yrs work ex), start enjoying the verbal content and come up with a strategy to attack CR and RC (my weaknesses).

I am planning to extend my prep by another month and a half to cover all fundamentals, come up with strategies for each question type, and practice more in a timed fashion to build the stamina going into the test. Mostly i need to start enjoying verbal content.

Your comments?

thanks in advance, N
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Some quick questions:

1. What was the breakdown, total correct in verbal?

2. What was the breakdown for each category (SC, CR, RC)?

3. Before you started rushing because you ran out of time did your performance deteriorate as you progressed through the section?

4. Were you aware that you were not performing well, was the 30 expected or a surprise?

HG.
Intern
Intern
Send PM
HerrGrau wrote:
Some quick questions:

1. What was the breakdown, total correct in verbal?

2. What was the breakdown for each category (SC, CR, RC)?

3. Before you started rushing because you ran out of time did your performance deteriorate as you progressed through the section?

4. Were you aware that you were not performing well, was the 30 expected or a surprise?

HG.

Thanks HG. Please find answers to some of the questions you asked:

1. What was the breakdown, total correct in verbal? - 23/41 (18 incorrect)

2. What was the breakdown for each category (SC, CR, RC)? (SC- 9 wrong, CR- 4 wrong, RC - 5 wrong. Please note that of the 9 wrong in SC, 4-5 are from the last 10 questions which i rushed and answered)

3. Before you started rushing because you ran out of time did your performance deteriorate as you progressed through the section? The errors are evened out throughout the period and not specific to a particular time zone. However, i got 90% questions wrong for the last 10, which i rushed and answered.

4. Were you aware that you were not performing well, was the 30 expected or a surprise? - I expected atleast 35, however i knew that i am not doing on RCs. I was not anticipating to fair this bad at SC.

comments?

thanks,
N
Tutor
Send PM
Expert Reply
Hi,

There are a few things to think about. First of all: your timing. Your option to skip a question is a powerful option and a critical option. Especially when you have specific strengths (SC) which you should exploit. The order of questions is unpredictable so it is important that you not get caught up in battles early on while trying to solve questions that you will probably get wrong because you risk being rushed on questions deeper in to the test which given the appropriate amount of time you could solve. This is a simple idea that is difficult to implement. You need to practice moving on more quickly when you are stuck.

RC and CR passages are not written to charm you. However, there is interesting stuff there if you put yourself in the proper mindset to absorb it. Enjoy the game and you will play it better.

You have a lot of space to move up in verbal. Use that space. To score better you only need to prioritize questions and stay engaged in the material. If you happen to learn a few more things you will improve even more.

For staying engaged
, one thing that I have found helpful is disengage every once in a while (especially helpful after the first 10 or so questions). Stretch your legs, roll your neck, close your eyes for a second: re-focus. It is extremely fatiguing to remain on the balls of your feet the entire section. One last thing: I prefer turning off the clock and the question number until the end of the section. I find those two things to be very fatiguing.

HG.
GMAT Club Bot
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts
GRE Forum Moderator
13958 posts