Last visit was: 24 Apr 2024, 14:26 It is currently 24 Apr 2024, 14:26

Close
GMAT Club Daily Prep
Thank you for using the timer - this advanced tool can estimate your performance and suggest more practice questions. We have subscribed you to Daily Prep Questions via email.

Customized
for You

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History

Track
Your Progress

every week, we’ll send you an estimated GMAT score based on your performance

Practice
Pays

we will pick new questions that match your level based on your Timer History
Not interested in getting valuable practice questions and articles delivered to your email? No problem, unsubscribe here.
Close
Request Expert Reply
Confirm Cancel
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Board of Directors
Own Kudos [?]: 592 [0]
Given Kudos: 347
Send PM
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 13 [0]
Given Kudos: 28
Concentration: Marketing, Sustainability
GPA: 3.6
Send PM
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
Given Kudos: 14
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Re: Darden (Virginia) 2013 - Calling All Applicants! [#permalink]
Invited to interview (received email today, interviewing on the 19th via Skype). Interview is at 1am local time, but that was the best I could do with remaining slots. I consider myself very fortunate to get the interview, as my second reviewer was WAY late getting my rec in, and I was certain that I would be rolled into the third round.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 61 [0]
Given Kudos: 37
Schools: Ross '15 (M)
GMAT 1: 700 Q43 V42
GPA: 3.3
WE:Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
Zomba wrote:
Invited to interview (received email today, interviewing on the 19th via Skype). Interview is at 1am local time, but that was the best I could do with remaining slots. I consider myself very fortunate to get the interview, as my second reviewer was WAY late getting my rec in, and I was certain that I would be rolled into the third round.

Seems like the only invites going out in the past 2 weeks have been for international applicants. I wish they'd have "waves" like Ross or Fuqua. Much better systems.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 34 [0]
Concentration: General Management, Technology
GMAT 1: 730 Q49 V42
GMAT 2: 710 Q49 V37
WE:Programming (Computer Software)
Send PM
Zomba wrote:

I had the exact same issue as my second reviewer submitted the recommendation two weeks after the deadline. Glad to hear that they are inviting you for an interview.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 9 [0]
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Applicant from India. Still waiting for an invite
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 5 [0]
Given Kudos: 6
Concentration: International Business, Finance
GMAT 1: 730 Q40 V49
GPA: 2.96
WE:Information Technology (Other)
Send PM
mbamust30 wrote:
Applicant from India. Still waiting for an invite

Same here :(
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 6 [0]
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
And same here :(
In fact I have almost lost the hope of getting the call as its almost Feb end..
Manager
Manager
Send PM
magiccapofnix wrote:
And same here :(
In fact I have almost lost the hope of getting the call as its almost Feb end..

The decision is over 4 weeks away. No need to lose hope yet.
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 40 [0]
Given Kudos: 67
Concentration: Strategy, Finance
WE:Management Consulting (Consulting)
Send PM
International applicant here. Had an interview on Skype with a 2nd Year student recently. Like most people said, it was a blind interview (the interviewer hadn't looked at my resume nor my application) and very conversational.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 5
GMAT 1: 710 Q50 V37
WE:Corporate Finance (Consulting)
Send PM
Being an international applicant, and having not got a call as yet, do we assume a ding? Or there have been cases in the past that interview invites have gone out towards end of February? Just curious.
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 2
Send PM
mbamust30 wrote:
Being an international applicant, and having not got a call as yet, do we assume a ding? Or there have been cases in the past that interview invites have gone out towards end of February? Just curious.

No idea mate..I am also in a similar situation..Though we have 4 more weeks to go before R2 admission decision date, but I no more feel confident about the outcome of my application (sadly, but true) :-(
Manager
Manager
Own Kudos [?]: 26 [0]
GMAT 1: 740 Q49 V42
GPA: 3.38
WE:General Management (Transportation)
Send PM
Well, I interviewed at 1am this morning over Skype. I had trouble understanding the interviewer on occasion, though she told me I was coming in loud and clear. As previous posters have indicated, the bulk of the interview was focused on 'tell me about yourself', followed by questions about my career choices. Finally, I got the opportunity to ask a few questions of the interviewer. I though that the interview went pretty well, so my fingers are crossed. I wish that I could have visited campus to interview, but that would have been difficult given the distance and late interview invite date.

To those of you still waiting, good luck on hearing about interviews in the next couple of days!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 21 [4]
Given Kudos: 11
Concentration: Technology, Entrepreneurship
GMAT 1: 710 Q46 V41
WE:Information Technology (Computer Software)
Send PM
Kudos
My interview was earlier this week. I met with a member of the admissions team. She spent about 5 minutes reviewing the evaluation process with me, then asked: "tell me your life story". I spent about 30 minutes going through my story, then we spent another 20-25 in conversation about Darden, my goals, and personal interests. So about 1 hour for the interview in total. There were about 25-30 other applicants visiting that day, and about 20 interviewing.

Some pointers I thought of after I finished, hopefully these can help those of you who are still preparing:

-Know your story well! My interviewer didn't ask many questions when I was delivering my story, but when she did I was able to alter my story around her question. She would ask something like: do you see yourself doing X at Darden? And I would answer with: let me tell you a story about this time in my life when I did something similar.
-Show, don't tell! The best stories allow the listener to vividly imagine. You can bullet point your life for your interviewer. Then later, she will go back and read exactly what you said on your resume. You can be interesting without having ever saved children from a fire or climbed the world's 5 tallest peaks, though if you have done those things, you might want to find a way to work them in ;)
-You won't have time for everything. I thought I would have plenty of time, and I didn't. I had to catch myself from rambling a couple of times. Practice and time yourself out, then assume that you'll take 25% more time to go through the same story in your interview. Also, you will likely stumble if you focus on memorizing particular words. Memorize the concepts and the order in which you will present them.
-Have a theme! I know it sounds cheesy, but it will help them remember you more if "you're the guy who is really caring and runs marathons to raise money for cancer research" or if you're the "woman who consistently challenged herself and ended up discovering how much she loves the healthcare industry, despite having been an accounting major." Think of 3 or 4 good stories that relate to your theme across your adult life and use them to pull the whole story together.
-Have fun. You get to talk about yourself; you don't have to spend an hour doing a DCF or frantically jotting down notes for a case study. No 5 forces, no Strunk & White. It's just you, chatting with someone who is interested in you. Tell some jokes and smile: they're happy you're there, too!
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 17 [0]
Given Kudos: 21
Concentration: Marketing, Strategy
GPA: 3.92
WE:Marketing (Non-Profit and Government)
Send PM
I believe I was there in your group Monday :-D

One additional pointer that I thought of afterwards. I didn't get to the "why Darden" in my initial monologue (it was addressed in a follow up question). It may be a good idea to see if you can weave that into your "story" to demonstrate how it naturally aligns. I am sure it is fine to address it afterward (well lets hope so :) ), but I wish I would have incorporated that into the part of my story when I was discussing why business school was the next step.

Good luck to all- and cheers to four more weeks of waiting and lurking around here.

bigcountry wrote:
My interview was earlier this week. I met with a member of the admissions team. She spent about 5 minutes reviewing the evaluation process with me, then asked: "tell me your life story". I spent about 30 minutes going through my story, then we spent another 20-25 in conversation about Darden, my goals, and personal interests. So about 1 hour for the interview in total. There were about 25-30 other applicants visiting that day, and about 20 interviewing.

Some pointers I thought of after I finished, hopefully these can help those of you who are still preparing:

-Know your story well! My interviewer didn't ask many questions when I was delivering my story, but when she did I was able to alter my story around her question. She would ask something like: do you see yourself doing X at Darden? And I would answer with: let me tell you a story about this time in my life when I did something similar.
-Show, don't tell! The best stories allow the listener to vividly imagine. You can bullet point your life for your interviewer. Then later, she will go back and read exactly what you said on your resume. You can be interesting without having ever saved children from a fire or climbed the world's 5 tallest peaks, though if you have done those things, you might want to find a way to work them in ;)
-You won't have time for everything. I thought I would have plenty of time, and I didn't. I had to catch myself from rambling a couple of times. Practice and time yourself out, then assume that you'll take 25% more time to go through the same story in your interview. Also, you will likely stumble if you focus on memorizing particular words. Memorize the concepts and the order in which you will present them.
-Have a theme! I know it sounds cheesy, but it will help them remember you more if "you're the guy who is really caring and runs marathons to raise money for cancer research" or if you're the "woman who consistently challenged herself and ended up discovering how much she loves the healthcare industry, despite having been an accounting major." Think of 3 or 4 good stories that relate to your theme across your adult life and use them to pull the whole story together.
-Have fun. You get to talk about yourself; you don't have to spend an hour doing a DCF or frantically jotting down notes for a case study. No 5 forces, no Strunk & White. It's just you, chatting with someone who is interested in you. Tell some jokes and smile: they're happy you're there, too!
Manager
Manager
Send PM
When are more round 2 interview invitations going out!? It's killing meeeee.
Intern
Intern
Own Kudos [?]: 1 [0]
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
I had my interview yesterday on Skype.
It was more about me telling my story, I started with more personal stuff like travel, upbringing, education and later elaborated about my work-ex.
the interviewer asked questions in case she required more details.
After about 30 minutes. she asked specifically about why MBa/ Why Darden etc.
It was fun and we talked about other activities at Darden and student life.
The interview was just a few minutes short of an hour.

Cheers
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 0
Send PM
Dinged. Got a mail from Sara Neher saying that while I can interview for the Global EMBA, I won't be offered an MBA interview.

Indian male, 7+yr work-ex in R&D/Software programming, 750 GMAT
Intern
Intern
Given Kudos: 7
GMAT 1: 760 Q50 V44
WE:Account Management (Commercial Banking)
Send PM
nebucanazza wrote:
Dinged. Got a mail from Sara Neher saying that while I can interview for the Global EMBA, I won't be offered an MBA interview.

Indian male, 7+yr work-ex in R&D/Software programming, 750 GMAT

Sorry to here that. Hope you'll receive good news from other schools, if any.
Btw, has any other R2 applicant received the accepted/dingged result? I thought Darden will only release R2 result on the decision date (20 Mar) as said on Darden's website.
I did the off-campus inteview on 19 Feb. It was ok but it could have been better. The interviewer started like this: "I've read your resume so I know what you've done. Now can you tell me your story? I wanna know why you've made the decisions you've made." And from then on it's more like a conversation. The interviewer politely interrupted me several times to ask for more detailed answers.
GMAT Club Bot
   1  ...  20   21   22   23   24   25   26  ...  40   
Moderators:
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
6920 posts
GMAT Club Verbal Expert
238 posts